iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Bandmill

Started by beerguy, August 24, 2003, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerguy

Howdy all,

I am new to the sawmill thing, I just purchased a 52" Hudson mill a couple months back. I have a few modifications that I want to make, but it seems to cut nice lumber. I have a few Bigleaf maples and some cedar to slice up. Doing the drying in a 40' container. Does anyone have any experience with Hudsons? I already want to change the belts on the bandwheels so I can use oil based lube, and the mudsaw (debarker) linkage needs help also. Any suggestions would help.
Also, what is the deal on the guide spacing? The one guide that is adjustable has a throw of a few feet, do I want to adjust this for each log so that the spacing is as small as possible? I got very little instruction with this thing.
Thanks,
Beerguy

biziedizie

Don't know much about your mill but anyone with the word beer in his name is welcome here. :) 8)

Steve (drinking a beer) 8)

Tom

beerguy,
the moveable guide on a bandmill should be adjusted such that it is as close to the cant or log as can be without hitting something..  Usually about 3 inches.  Automatic guides can be moved in and out as you saw.  Manual guides, you have to find a happy medium.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)

Check your instant messages, I have a note to leave for you.

D._Frederick

I have seen the Hudson mills saw at shows, I can answer about the guides. Guides want to be as close to the material being sawed as possible and the guides must be correctly adjusted. The later Hudson sawmill use the Carter guides, if your mill has these guides, you should get alignment procedures from Hudson. If you are not sawing, pitchy or sappy wood, I would use water with some dish washing soap on the blade. Oil can cause the blade to slip on the band wheels.

Thank You Sponsors!