iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most Unusual Object Found In a Saw Log

Started by prittgers, June 21, 2014, 02:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Quote from: Bert on June 30, 2014, 08:41:37 PM
Black Snake :o

I probably would have kept sawing hoping to find a roll of T paper to clean up with after that one.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BEEMERS

Found old fence line insulaltors. I know of an old weed whip weed, a steering wheel and part of an old stove sticking out of trees.Heard of guy who saw a metal eagle head sticking out of a tree,cut it out it was the end of the hilt { I know that's not the proper term} the entire rest of the Bowie style knife was completely in the tree.
Big knife too.like 10 inches as I recall.
here in my yard we have about 3 or 4  links of a chain sticking out of a tree about eyeball height. the crotch is a couple feet higher .when I was a kid there was several links sticking out and the crotch was a foot lower.When my dad was kid he slung the chain up over the crotch when told to pick up the yard.

Theres an axe head I stuck in a tree id remove it but its way too late. same tree I remember a potato planter grown into the crotch of a limb  8 feet up some of the handle sticking out.several years age you just saw a bit and for 20 or so years just a scar there on the tree..shaped like a potato planter..id hate to log the trees around an old farm...I can only imagine...

kczbest

My Father in Law and I bought some undeveloped land in town and cleaned it up for development. I got a lot of cedar and some cypress logs and started milling them. One of the cedar logs had a very odd shaped scar just below waist height, I checked it out with a metal detector and sure enough about a three foot long piece of metal. I slabbed deep and missed it, It took me a couple of weeks in my spare time to dig the object out. It was a Winchester 30-30, the stock and forearm were long gone and the metal was too rusty to get a serial # to check for age. If my Father in Law still has it I will get some pics. Also, the fact that the host tree was cut less than six feet from a road that had been there for over a hundred years I find it hard to believe it was lost. say_what
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Ron Scott

~Ron

Woodhauler

Freind of mine years ago had a party at the end of deer hunting season, guy had his rifle with him and took it out of his car and set it behind a tree so no one would steal it! Only thing was he was drunk and did not remember doing it! He thought someone stole it out of vhis car!!! Found it many years later leaning up behind a tree near where his car was parked! Guy never apoligized for calling everyone at the party theives!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sandhills

Nothing to do with sawing but my 1st cousin and uncle tore down an old shed on their place (my grandparents and dad lived there at one time,).  Anyway my grandpa had moved the shed in from some other place way back when, dad's in his 70's and barely remembers living there I think he was 4 when they moved, so it was a while ago but they found an old 1894 Winchester under the floor boards of the shed, he brought it over to show us, in the same shape of the one you found kczbest.

trooperTdiesel

had a log we decided not to mill up and made wood out of it.....it looked like it had metal in it lots of, blue stane.

it had 8 rail spikes in it for climbing, missed them all with the saw, some as little as 1/4 inch.... :o
had it hit, it would have taken out a 32" or 36" chain each time as it was near 40"

other then that, the glass insulators on the mobile saw mill, really wreck havoc on the teeth....
many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

scully

I have hit the usual stuff nails spikes bullets . But I recently milled 3 very large red oaks . I hit what I thought were copper bullets but further on I hit copper cable ?  and a bunch of spikes ! Yep lightning protection ! I was so glad to be done with that job ! >:(
I bleed orange  .

Baron

-Barlow style pocket knife circa 1940
-horseshoe circa 1830 - 1925. No horses after that

Both included at a favorite lunching area in the shade of a cherry tree located out in the middle of open fields.

Skidder Kev

well splitting firewood found a battery terminal, cement, and bullets, clothes line, lag bolts,eye bolts.  some found with the chainsaw well blocking.

kev

Carson-saws

I found an old bow saw blade.  Or should I say "hit"?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

thecfarm

Carson-saws,welcome to the forum. On the hit part,whatcha got for a mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

henry co.

My buddy found a musket that had been there since the civil war in a big white oak

Ron Scott

~Ron

Don P

That's cool! I found the tip of a saber still in it's scabbard while tree planting one time. Sawing, mostly the usual, a couple of big landscape spikes in a thoroughly shotgun peppered pine last year. Found the first with the mill and the second with the chainsaw after I had thrown it off, that tree was a real deal. Found a middle buster plow in the base of a walnut, happily it showed itself before I hit it. Growing up I watched the mule hitching ring slowly disappear in the tree in my grandparents back yard. A friend found a bumper and a T post in the same tree one time.

I sawed some cherry and apple for a friend some years ago. I hit a nail in an apple, pulled the timber off, showed it to the owner but we both decided it was a nice piece, he just needed to remember the metal was there. Well, last year he moved and he gave me his lumber pile. As I threw that piece into the planer there was a faint recollection but when I heard the knives hit the steel my memory was crystal clear. They ain't never getting their tramp wood back again  :D

TKehl

Saw an article talking about cemetery preservation.  One tree had a headstone shaped scar that the caretaker said had a headstone inside.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

BEEMERS

I cleared a lot on a lake a couple years ago..logs too mill  all firewood back to my place in twelve or so foot lengths. The next spring I was cutting some and came to a chunk of Aspen with a hole in it like a raccoon would be in..you could look into it,its empty.
cutting the log up to the hole and center was black like topsoil.This is below the hole cut another and the worst ungodly smell came out when the block came off..i thought a dead raccoon but it was worse than anything ever...next block came of and split the wood and the black stuff broke and a dozen or more white round eggs a little bigger than golf balls. broke a few and it was so bad we had to leave the area..I used to pump septic tanks...this was unbearable..and was for days!!!
My theory turtle eggs a raccoon tucked away and never came back...or wood duck eggs layed and Momma never came back.....ants working above the hole produced enough sawdust to completely cover them and protect them all the way to the point where the tree became firewood... sealing them in this ..dirt.
It was the worst smell I have ever experienced.

Jeff

Wood Duck.   I've mentioned in anther topic of this type about hitting them frozen in a tree. Took them in the break room in a cup, went back in at noon after they had thawed and it was filled with the odor you describe. The black dirt surrounding them was frozen too.  THis was way before cell phones and digital cameras, but it would have been a very cool picture because everything was frozen in place where I had cut through the center of it.   Flying squirrels, mice and frogs and snakes are the living things I have hit with the headsaw, you can add a racoon if we count running the slasher in the woods. That story is on here somewhere too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

I guess it should not be that unusual to find a walnut in a walnut tree but I was lucky to accidentally center this one when I sawed it exactly in two for a couple of benches.

Both sides have half a walnut imbedded in the wood like this. Pretty neat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

That's a great picture. Don't know what the odds of that are but you might want to grab a lottery ticket next. :D

Ron Scott

~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

Arrowhead 20 feet up in a Red pine.
Must have been shooting at a squirrel.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

Pete, when Jmoore and I were sawing some large bald cypress about a year ago, we sawed a 50 caliber musket ball in half which came from one from one of the top logs.  We surmised that someone must have been squirrel hunting also.  I don't know how much squirrel would have been left after a hit from that much lead though.

Another strange thing we found in a log was a crawdad.  We keep some logs in our pond and occasionally they become a habitat for critters.

Caveman

Al_Smith

It wasn't saw log  but just yesterday while splitting a 3 foot diameter  round of red oak  about 6 inches in was a complete gate hinge .

Southside

Limestone head stone in a cedar tree, well into the tree, no sign of it from the outside.  It came from a church yard which was founded around the Revolution.  Given the size of the cedar we figure it has to be civil war ear.  Have never been able to figure out how to extract the headstone from the wood as nobody knows what the rest of it looks like.  I need to get someone with a portable x-ray to try and take a peek one day.  I will get a picture of it and post it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!