iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you guys tell me a little about Chain Gauge.

Started by JOE.G, August 24, 2012, 09:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi, I was just wondering what chain Gauge do you guys run and why, Does the higher the number mean that the chain is stronger? Does a lower number Cut faster?
I Have either .50 and .58 on my saws and that seems to be the Norm around here, I hear you guys talking about how people in certain areas seem to favor certain gauges.

Also if you wanted to change the gauge of you chain would you have to replace anything besides the Bar? Thanks
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

c_silva88

you would have to change the bar and sprocket to run a different gauge chain
MS660
MS290

John Mc

Quote from: c_silva88 on August 24, 2012, 10:16:40 PM
you would have to change the bar and sprocket to run a different gauge chain

You do not have to change the drive sprocket if you are changing the gauge. That sprocket only needs to be changed if you are changing pitch (or if it's worn out, but that's another topic)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

This is an interesting subject. The North American and German manufacturers adopted .050 although Stihl favored .063 on the big 80cc plus saws. For some reason, the Swedish makers chose .058 as their standard. Either size will work equally well as long as the bar and chain are matched. Some feel the wider groove improves oil flow but the jury is out on that one.
Some guys switch from .050 to .058 as the bar wears then to .063 as long as the correct pitch is available to extend the life of the bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

It seems to be more of a regional thing I believe .From what I gather .058 for example is the prefered gauge in Australia  were .050 might be in the midwest or perhaps .063 in the PNW .

They made different pitch sizes at one time in just about every popular gauges .While the larger .404 in generally .063 gauge ,I actually have a 32" bar set up .404 by .050 which I changed to 3/8" .050 by changing the nose piece .

.404 by .050 is rare as a hens tooth to find as is fast becoming .404 by .058 .

shelbycharger400

I asked this question the other day at the saw dealer.
His statement.. "just to pith you off"
Wider grove has no difference, it was basically done just so you would have to buy a different bar and chain for different saws.

Al_Smith

:D Well that's one explaination .If so they've been at it a long time .

Odd I have no idea why they did some things .Some bars can be interchanged with other brands ,some can not without alteration .Stihl bars as a rule can be adapted to other brands by either using spacer bushings or buying the adaptor which Baileys and others sell .

Nice info to have if in the rare case somebody has an older saw which for all intents they simpley do not offer a replacement in that style any more .Just adapt a Stihl mount bar to it and go about your business .

Al_Smith

It would seemingly make sense that the thicker say .063 driver would be more robust than an .050 driver .Now weather that theory holds any water in the overall grand scheme of things I have no idea .Probabley about like arguing over mix oil ratios ,pointless .

JOE.G

What I see aound here is .50 and .058 I think I have .043 on my Pole Saw. SO what do you guys tend to run? and why does it seem that different areas tend to run different gauge.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

John Mc

In my area, most people are running .058" on their Husky and Jonsered saws (and probably some other brands as well).  That's also what the dealers sell on their new saws  (though some of the hardware and big box stores may sell something different).  Not sure what the Stihl guys are running - I always assumed it was .050 for the smaller saws and .063 for the larger, but I've not asked around much.

When I bought a Husky 357XP on eBay from Michigan, it came with an .050 low-profile chain... I switched the B&C out for something that is more available locally (the old bar was fairly worn as well).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Clam77

It's primarily .050 here in the midwest.  I think the biggest of the Stihls and Huskys might run bigger but it's .050 for the majority.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

lumberjack48

I ran all 50 gauge, Stihl, Jonsered, Husqvarna, Homelite, Pioneer ect
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!