iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You gatta love this business

Started by tule peak timber, May 15, 2019, 08:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

6 months to produce, 100 something percent over budget,  can't get shipped , after a week of truck rental, insurance riders, markers pulled, planning etc.,can't get paid, special look for the customers wife, deadline met.........
   Where is JustRight and that giant bottle of Georgia hospitality ? :) :D ;D >:( >:( >:( >:( :o

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

ellmoe

Hope you got a big deposit! That sure is stunning.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

tule peak timber

Thanks ellmoe, We always treat people the same , 50 % down.Thank you for the compliment.

Warbird

Brad_bb

Wait, you're saying they paid 50% down and then decided they didn't want it?  Won't pay?  The deposit is yours, that's what a deposit is for.

If that's the case, you should be ok.  With a 50% deposit for your troubles and now you can sell it.  It's a special table.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ruffgear

I could store that for you, if that helps? 
Looks amazing!

tule peak timber

We shall see how things pan out eventually. My guys were to rent a truck today and deliver this table to Lake Tahoe, and I'm actually glad that is not going to happen. Sometimes helping a customer, especially when the work is clearly outside our purview is a bad move.
   I think we will go out to the log deck and run the mill, which is always good move. Rob

BradMarks

Not sure how much the other 50% is, but I can arrange trucking north! ;D  That is beautiful.

tule peak timber

Thanks Brad, I'll be in Tillamook this July....Hmmmmmmm :)

tule peak timber

Well, the march of tops goes on today :)

Andries

Hey now Rob, don't leave us hanging like that.
That tabletop is fantastic!
Was the 100 % over budget part that killed the sale?
Was the transportation the deal killer?
Was it the special look for the wife that made things blow up?
 . . . just trying to come up with a "lesson learnt" kinda thing here.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

The table top is still here. I've built 4 of these, in variants, as a series for the same customer. The 100% over budget is more or less accurate.The transportation was WAY out of our responsibility and cost a TON of time arranging , insurance, lodging, etc- no reimbursement. The special ' not busy ' look has not been approved yet by the wife (customer). We shall see....Something is going on at their end and we have no way of knowing what that is.
    In the same vein I did a very detailed design, bid, and finish schedule for a mid-west commercial firm on an impossible to build countertop this last Monday and haven't   heard a thing back as of today, Friday.
  I think I'd rather be fishing...............................................  :D

petefrom bearswamp

Fishing and sawing cure a lot of ills
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DPatton

Sorry to hear of your customer troubles Rob, what a major frustration :-[. It's a shame that some don't understand the amount of labor involved and the risks that many small business owners take. Your products are such high quality, one of a kind, specialty pieces of work that you should never compromise in price. The labor of love and pride that you and your crew put into your products is evident, and amazing. I hope that your customer woes take a turn for the best very soon.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

tule peak timber

Thanks for the kind words DPatton.99% of my customers gush with good expletives and keep coming back. I do not advertise and stay pretty busy. Have a good Memorial Day and be thankful. Rob

tule peak timber

A teak wood table and a one eyed dog. :)

Bruno of NH

My rescue dog follows me every place
Wouldn't want it any other way.
She was man shy when I got her now she watches over me like a hawk
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tule peak timber

Bruno of NH, you cannot buy ,,,or replace that. I might add that we are lucky ! :)

Southside

Rob - you know your counter top firm will call in about three weeks after you have booked several other jobs and they will want it "rush".  Ditto on the rescue dogs - they know when they have it good! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Sounds like we may have the same customers Rob.
"I know that you built what I asked for, but I've changed my mind. Why's that an issue?"
Sometimes mental health is as important as occupational safety. 😆
Hang in there, and as you said: tight lines!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Andres, Have a great time with your family trekking into the back country this summer.Every time you release a fish, remind the lucky fellow, if he meets up with me someday -he won't be so lucky ! Cheers

tule peak timber

While some customers are trouble , we had one pay for -then walk on a huge amount of material last week. Time to remodel with what they left. Tony started tearing out the upstairs kitchen today.

tule peak timber

Ripping boards just out of the kiln- preparing them for new wall paneling. The saw is a 1919 Diehl that runs like a jewel :)

BradMarks

Tule Peak: Just saw that you are coming to Tillamook in July. Be fishing?  That fishery in just a couple years has changed. We have gone there in Sept/Oct the last three years. Absolutely hammered the salmon the first two on herring in the Nehalem Bay. Last year it was keep the bait in the freezer, lures were the ticket, when there were fish. Not sure what our guide did with his pallet of herring ;D

tule peak timber

Yes sir ! I'm roofing a cabin that sits on the Wilson river 13 miles up from Tillamook. So hopefully every day -if I finish my chores.A little crabbing in the bay and if anything is running possibly a charter. years ago sturgeon was really hot, now not so much. It will be my only chance to wet a line this year unless Jeff has a koi  pond in his front yard :D

Thank You Sponsors!