iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for help choosing a cruiser vest. Possibly an extreme cruiser vest?

Started by Gossforest, June 27, 2016, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gossforest

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I am a new graduate of the UVM forestry program and I have started to work for the state as a seasonal. My office does not have any extra vests that fit me, so I want to buy my own that I will be able to have for a VERY long time. I am having a lot of trouble finding a good source of information on what the best vests are and how well they fare out in the field. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this!

Disclaimer: I do not like the Forestry suppliers/ben meadows vests. They dont work well for what I generally do.

One vest I found that I like is the extreme cruiser vest, but I havent found much info on it. Have any of you tried one? http://theextremecruiser.com/product/the-klamath

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ron Scott

I've just used those from Forestry Suppliers or Ben Meadows and found them OK for my use based on price. There are some good heavy duty custom made ones however, but they are more expensive. I usually have at least two vests, one for dress  ;) and one for work which is all slopped up with tree marking paint.

I like the mesh back ones since they are a little lighter to wear and cooler during the hot weather.
~Ron

Gossforest

I've used a forestry suppliers one for the past two years and it has worked OK, but I dislike the pocket configuration. Ideally I'd like a vest with something other than the single large pockets on the bottom of the vest. I liked the extreme cruiser vest because it has two pockets on each side of the bottom, so I can separate my GPS from my flagging, maps, etc. My old vest also got super ripped up by the spruce/fir forests around here.

ppine

Forester

up2themtn

I have not had good success with the benmeadows and forestry suppliers vests, they fall apart very quickly if you put them through any substantial use (I use mine full time cruising timber so it gets used hard).  I'm actually looking for one that will last a good long while my self, let me know if you find one you like!

petefrom bearswamp

25 years and only went thru 4 vests, all Forestry suppliers.
The first one "shrunk" and didnt fit me any more, the second one wore out I still have the last one, but it too has gotten snug over the years.
The other one was a mesh for hot weather and didnt hold up.
Only used them for my paint, compass, clinometer, lunch, water,extra pencils and TP, no GPS or other fancy devices.
Ron, a dress cruising vest? Really??
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

I wear the "dress one" to be clean when meeting with new clients so as not to scare them with the working one coated with tree marking paint. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!