iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine logs

Started by BB, December 19, 2008, 07:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

Hello to all here, this has been a great forum. I have been lurking for awhile, tons of good information. I purchased a woodmizerLT40 28hp this past spring and have been sawing lumber for my own projects with a few paying jobs. I have my own woodlot with lots of hemlock and hardwoods. I have been trying to source some white pine in the area talked to some tree removal folks and a couple of log brokers. One log broker told me about .30bf the other didnt want to deal with me for just one load and threw out a crazy price.
I was wondering whats a fair bf price to offer loggers, tree removal and landowners for small quanities of pine sawlogs. Thanks for any info.       BB

WDH

Down in the South, the best grade pine logs are selling for about $30 - $35 per ton on the stump.  That is about $240 - $280 per MBF doyle.  On international scale that price would be closer to $180 - $210 per MBF or about $.20 per foot.

Remember that is stumpage, and does not include cutting, skidding, loading, or hauling.  That is also for trees in commercially loggable quantities as in multiple tractor trailer truck loads on large tracts of timber. 

It is also for southern yellow pine like loblolly and shortleaf and does not include white pine.  Just thought that I would throw out those prices for reference.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

Check out the NY state stumpage price for an idea. Other variables come into play like location steepness of grade etc. If your sawing & selling white pine boards I charge .50 BF they pick-up. I'm near Ithaca NY.
Jim

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.html
Have a great day

SwampDonkey

I think $0.60 a bf for logged and hauled white pine is par for the course up here. I know some mills have dropped price to $0.35 -$0.40 in recent years. It just takes too long to grow them big to give them away and they are not all that plentiful, usually scattered or concentrated in small geographic locations. They are not rare, but in my area if you was to chase all the pine there is you would go broke. I'd say maybe one logable pine would be on the average 100 acre woodlot up here in my location. Further east and south, the numbers are a lot higher. Irving wanted to go around and pick up pine here a few years ago and I explained to them your in the wrong area to make it  a paying proposition. The idea soon faded and they likely went to those other areas where they have a lot more pine. Loggers here just leave them standing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: jdtuttle on December 19, 2008, 08:37:06 AM
Check out the NY state stumpage price for an idea. Other variables come into play like location steepness of grade etc. If your sawing & selling white pine boards I charge .50 BF they pick-up. I'm near Ithaca NY.
Jim

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.html

Those prices in the report are less than half of what I reported for southern yellow pine.  More like $100 per MBF or 10 cents per foot.  That is pretty DanG low for the stumpage. 

$.30 per board foot delivered might be OK if you are dealing with a logger form the woods, but that might be a little much for a tree service guy who is already getting paid to remove the trees in the first place.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

White pine up here goes for 250 to 300 MBF delivered by loggers.
Have a great day

Dave Shepard

Good white pine delivered to the mill is about 180 mbf International scale around here.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

They wouldn't be getting my pine. We had that discussion before. They'll out live the mill. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

I get $360/thousand for my best and all the way down to $110 for pallet.  That is for logs I take to the concentration yard.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

BB

Thanks for all the responses. This is very helpful.
I was wondering what scale most loggers use around here, is there a big difference?
I have been useing the doyle scale for my calculations so far.     

Dave Shepard

Here in western Mass, International 1/4" is the most common. Moving over into NY, it seems Doyle is more common. You will have to make sure to use the same scale as the person you are buying from.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Doyle gives less yield on logs under 14" top. We use NB log scale here and Northern Maine (maybe all of Maine) uses Bangor rule, better scale then either Doyle or International. But, price is probably lower so it don't make a different I suspect.

Captain

Price around here in Southeastern MA is $200-$220 per MBF. 

Captain

moonhill

What scale to use?  "Depends if I am buying or selling" to quote an old timer.  Bangor rule or International is what I see mostly.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!