iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you use to keep your tools rust-free?

Started by Paschale, May 23, 2003, 09:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a note about how people on the forum heat their woodshop, and in one of the replies, Charlie wrote the following:  "I don't want my tools to rust, so I don't want them getting real cold and then real hot because of the condensation."  Within the past month, I just bought a Powermatic cabinet saw and jointer  8), (which I'm pretty excited about), and I've been mulling over various ways of protecting the surfaces.  Powermatic suggests using talcum powder on the surface, and others I've spoken with suggest paste wax.  Another guy gave me a graphite cloth which is supposed to create a great barrier against moisture.  What do you guys use?  In Charlie's case, he keeps the shop at a constant 42 degrees, which for me really isn't feasible, so I need to deal with the condensation issue, so I'm hoping some of you guys who've arrived at a solution can give me some recommendations.

Thanks!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Great idea for a thread, Paschale! I'll be interested to read the answers. Maybe someone will throw in a tidbit about GETTING them rust free, after one doesn't follow the suggestions about keeping them that way. ::) :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Sand Blast and heavy coat of paint :o :D :D :D :D :) :)

What about that there Navy Jello ::) ?? Never used any ??

Here, near the great Atlantic Lake, we just wipe with oil and wipe it off before using the tool.  Not a good way to avoid rust here. :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Vermonter turned me on to a product called FLUID FILM.  I is lanolin based.  Available from Gempler's   http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?UID=2003052407395805&GEN2=&GEN3=&GEN9=0&T1=55625

shopteacher

Hi,
  If your looking for something you can make at home try this. I make a mixture of beeswax and mineral spirits. Dissolve beewax in the solvent until no more will disolve. Wipe it on let it sit a few minutes and buff.   This also makes a great fire starter. Put alittle on some kindling and in minutes you got a nice fire going.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

Here in the deep South, we use "Fat Lighter" Pine to start our fires  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

ohsoloco

I don't have much of a problem with rust forming on my tools, and I only heat my shop when I'm actually working in it.  I put paste wax on my table saw, jointer, etc. but I haven't done that in a long time.  Just be sure that there is no silicone in any of the wax you use, b/c this can affect the finish you put on your wood.  Now if I can just remember not to put my wet glue rag on my tools, and keep the old man from using my bandsaw table as a glue table, I'll be set  ::)

jimbo

here in Kentucky we just use lite coat of oil and good ventilation  works for us

woodman

I use water displacement 40th try. You call it WD 40  :)
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

I use Johnson Floor Paste Wax on my Jet Cabinet Saw. As Osoloco mentioned, if you use wax, be sure to make sure it doesn't have any silicon in it. Most paste waxes for cars contain silicon. You'll get a bunch of birdseye in you finish if he silicon gets on the wood you are sawing.

I like the paste wax because it does 2 things, first, it protects the top from moisture and thus prevents rusting. Secondly, it makes the tabletop of the saw, or the jointer real smooth and the boards just glide across them.  It's a simple and inexpensive way to keep the rust away and make the tool perform better. :)

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodmills1

Hey, I just use a plain old match to start my fires. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

I have a problem in the sawmill it is a pole barn with two large door openings cant put doors on because one doorway is for logs to enter on a live deck the other is for lumber to exit on a fork lift. The roof is metal and cold nights condensation forms on the under side of the metal and when the sun warms things up in the morning it melts and sort of rains inside the building . My hand tools are kept in the engine room that has a roof  within the building that stays dry. but the mill the edger and all other equipment get driped on every day from mid fall to late spring. Heating the building would be a big waste of effort it is 54x100' for now I run the mill every day so things don't rust but if I leave it sit I know I will have problems.

shopteacher

Sawyer40,
    I'd talk with a insulation contractor.  You maybe able to have the underside sprayed with urethane foam.  Some of the metal buildings where I used to work were sprayed on the inside. I have seen the pray for sale on ebay at different times,  but I don't know how knowlegeable you need to be about the use and application of this product.

Fla._Deadheader

DanG these school teachers are quick. That wuz gonna be my suggestion ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

shopteacher

Your darn right Fla. Deadheader.  Let me lock you up in a room with 25 kids holding power tools and see how fast you become.  :D

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!