iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally Starting My Portable Sawmilling Business

Started by 038magnum, June 07, 2012, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

038magnum

Well the ball is in motion for me to start my long awaited portable sawmilling business.
I have been looking at this type of business and different mills since 2008. After many posts and the wonderful and very informative feedback from so many of the members on here, I am going to do it. I have talked to an accountant that is helping me set the business up and I have gotten a Federal tax ID number. The wife is behind it 100% and will do the book keeping and answering the calls and scheduling when they start coming in. Her official position is CEO & CFO. She has a degree in accounting. I also let her retire early. My position is CWB (Chief Worker Bee). I would rather be outside playing with the mill than doing the book keeping. I do plan to work my other job until things take off I hope in a few years. Most of the guys that I have talked to on here say that you are busiest on the weekends when off bearers are plentiful. I think this is going to be fun. I am use to hard work. I was a Firefighter for over twenty three years before retiring in 2007 and always worked a second job. I didn't see the wife much during that time. Now that she is retired I get to see her every day. To me that is a good thing.
I have not been posting much on here recently because of my work and getting the business started. I do get on here and read posts all the time. It is so nice to have a forum like this to read about how others are doing with their sawmilling experiences.
I will purchase my mill this summer. It is going to be a Wood Mizer. I have been talking and texting Marty at PA Wood Mizer. I plan on playing with it the rest of the summer and fall before starting to cut for customers. This way I can gain experience and ask for help from you all when I screw up. I have a lot of projects around the house to do. I also will work on getting a web site going this winter.
I can't thank all of you enough for helping me with your advice. I will get some pictures up on here in the future showing my progress and the mill when I get it. I will also keep you informed on how the startup is going. 8) 8)

Magicman

Good for you.  With my startup, I had no idea what my market would be.  Contrary to my initial thinking, I have a portable sawing service.  Sometimes markets develop themselves, or rather lead you into a particular direction.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodey

Great news 038magnum. Keep us posted.
What size mill are you going to purchase?
Woodmizer are good mills.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

John_Haylow

Sounds exciting. Good luck with your new business. I look forward to reading about your progress.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Misfit

Congrats and all the best for a successful business launch!  smiley_clapping I've had my dream for about a year now but it's still a couple more to go before I can pull the trigger.  :'(

I totally agree with everything you said about how helpful the folks on this site are.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Cypressstump

Sounds like with the plan of attack you have laid out, a lot of thinking has been done upfront.
Best of wishes and keep us all posted. I too am traveling down or up that same avenue, slowly.

One saying that I used a lot in previous situations  - Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan !

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Kansas

I hope you have great success. One thing though. Let your business unfold and follow the money, and opportunities. Like battle or business plans, they get tossed out the window once you engage in them. Don't be afraid to change directions at any time, if that is where the opportunities are.

038magnum

8) 8) Well I got home from work early today. I was home about an hour and the phone rang. On the other end was Marty from PA Wood Mizer. We talked for about 45 minutes. He told me that he received the check that I sent him for my sawmill deposit. He probably fell out of his chair when he got it. You see I have been talking to him since the fall of 2008 when I met him and his wife at a Wood Mizer demo in Clifton Forge Virginia. I have probably told him 4 times that I was going to buy one then something would either come up or I would get cold feet. NOT TODAY! It is done. I ordered an LT70 DCS.
The reason I bought a 70 is because after seeing all the Wood Mizer success videos and reading stories. A lot buy a smaller Wood Mizers and eventually trade up. Also I am already forking out over 40 grand for one so what are a few more bucks. I like the log turner. The saw will be faster. I will like the joystick controls as well as being able to move the controls just about anywhere around the mill.
So It looks like Christmas will be coming sometime in July this year and it will be orange. So stay turned, there is more to come.  ;D ;D ;D

Magicman

Well, when you move, you MOVE.  Congratulations on making the big decision.  We will all be anxious to share your joy.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I was thinking "small time" when I saw this thread. Lt70! Congrats! I hope you are like customsawyer, and have to buy another one to keep up!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

customsawyer

Wishing you the best of luck. This is going to be  great to follow.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Now that's a sawmill!!!!. We have to see pictures of that. I don't think you have posted pictures before? Start now. We'll help you out. Congrats on the mill. I could get on the WM site,but diesel? size?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

All the best.  Hope you didn't enjoy weekends off. 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

Wishing you all the best in your business venture.
Wow! an LT 70 for the first mill.
I am impressed that you have decided to go big right off.
Making sawdust is a sickness not easily cured.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

John_Haylow

Wow you don't fool around. Congratulations on your purchase. Did someone mention pics?

All the best,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Wallys World

Congrats on you placing the order for the 70. You won't regret it.  Marty is great to work with. Where in Virginia are you?
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

038magnum

In Hardy Virginia which is about 8 miles east of Roanoke Virginia.Where are you in Evington? I am down that way a lot working my other job.

sawman

petefrombearswamp said
"Making sawdust is a sickness not easily cured"

If a LT70 can't cure it nothing will.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

038magnum

Well I got my paperwork from Wood Mizer today on my new mill and I am getting more excited. They can't build it fast enough. "Now if I can only remember where I buried those jars of money in the back yard!"
Wood Mizer sends you a "Sawmill Purchase Guide" with the information on your sawmill and how it will be delivered as well as a "Marketing Tool Kit" which has templates for making signage and business cards etc. This is kind of nice for helping one out like me getting started in my portable sawmill venture. I think I made the right choice on purchasing a Wood Mizer. I know are going to be good to deal with.
I am going to try my hand at downloading pictures on here to help telling my sawmill story so let's hope it works.

Magicman

WM also has many booklets about log setup, sawing, business, etc.  They are very good.

Thank You Sponsors!