iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods protection for JD 990

Started by mjeselskis, November 03, 2012, 05:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2012, 09:24:06 PM
My rims are kinda banged up from rocks and I even had a small thin piece of wood sticking out between by rim and tire. If there was not a tube in it.I probably would of had a flat. You will be squatting the tires down with a load and running over a rock or a stump makes it that must worse.I have a local tire place,New Sharon,about ½ hour away that comes right to my house. Last one I had done was about $180. Two guys was here about an hour. That was new tube,pump the calium out,clean everything,put calcium back in and bending back some bad places on the rim and grinding it down too. I don't work on the rear ones. the front ones I take to the guy that does my car tires.I feel if you are really going to work your tractor in the woods,tubes all the way around. Also how many plys are your tires? Also forget the nice looking tractor part too.  ;D  I brought a real nice looking tractor. I did more damage to that poor thing in one year,than the other guy did in 8,by digging rocks and working it in the woods. But I use mine ALOT. I put about 600 hours on it in one year.I've been around loaded tires on 3 tractors and have never heard of not running a tube with calium.

Tires are 8 ply 17.5 - 24 R4 tires. Pretty heavy when loaded. Tractor only has 480 hours on it and is in really good shape right now. Tires are loaded with calcium now, but due to the fact that there are no tubes, the calcium is starting to eat the rim. That's why I want to get tubes. That price isnt too bad for all the work involved, I may have to check into that. I'm in Canton so New Sharon isnt too far away. What was the name of the place you used?

Here's a pic of the tractor. My father standing next to it.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Okrafarmer

I do not recommend using tube tires. If you puncture them, you have to dismount them to fix the tube. Use radials without tubes. If you have a puncture, just plug it with a tire plug. If you tear your tire open, you can then use tube as a last resort.

Use antifreeze in your tires, not calcium. Calcium is highly corrosive. Better yet, don't use water at all.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Pitcher Perfect Tire,  Does not look like much of a place,but had them here twice so far and happy each time. No fancy trucks from these guys,but they do good work.I only had to wait one day.They leave the tire right on the tractor.The rim is not removed either.Can come over to see what I do,if you want.Nice looking tractor,so was mine.  :(
I have never punctured a tire,had a few tubes rot out yes. Calcium weighs more than anti freeze,that's why it is used and cheaper. Calcium is non toxic too. Would have to use the RV stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Calcium may be cheaper, but calcium + rusted rims is not cheaper.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Starting to sound like someone else on the forum.  ::) I have a 1954 ford that has calcium in the rims since the day my Father brought it new and has never had a rim rusted out or trouble with area around the valve stem. The trouble you have seen is people will have tire trouble and won't get it fixed. If it not leaking and has tube,no contact with calium on metal,no rust. Maybe Fords rims are better.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I use windshield washer fluid. Cheap and weighs almost as much as water per gallon. Slightly less than calcium and a lot easier to remove and add back without hiring a truck to stop by for a job.

The same FEL #430 that I have on my Deere 4300.
Do you have the ROPS folded? Mine is fixed and I've thought about some headache bars (think there is a better name for them) to protect the hood and over my head while in the woods. Don't like catching limbs/branches on the ROPS that then whap the back of my head. Like to have them slide up and over the ROPS.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I've heard them called "limb raisers" or "limb risers" but I'm not sure if that is the official term.  :)

I'll have to remember the windshield washer fluid idea. But how do you put it in by yourself?

thecfarm

I don't even know where all the tires irons are now. I don't have the stuff to work on a tire of a 40 hp tractor. Meaning I'm not 20 anymore.  ;D  My days of pounding on a tire is long gone. Much easier to watch them guys do it. Than pay the bill.

beenthere

Myself?
I laid the tire down and broke the topside bead, then poured in the fluid. Raised the tire with some blocking while still flat on the ground and added air.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2012, 08:16:36 PM
Need to weld something around the valve stem. I just used a piece of ¼" flat stock a little higher than the stem. Leave room to work on the stem too.On one I used a piece of 3 or 4 inch pipe with threads on it and put a cap on it too. My NH came with the protectors on the front tires but none on the rear,which I feel was kinda odd. Need them on back more,those are the expensive tubes. I suppose you have tubes in your tires?Seem like if you weld with air in the tire it will explode?? Seem like I heard about that on here?
be very careful when it comes to welding on a wheel with the tire on. watched a vid from bridgestone on welding wheels. they had a temp and air press guadge setup they welded on the wheel . the temp and press went up a lot then it exploded.

Maine372

delektos (before they were hammond) did the valve stem protectors on the 990 i ran before they delivered it. they just used threaded pipe and pipe caps. they are very rugged and it just takes a pipe wrench to break them loose when needed.

those r4s are nice for the extra plys but the lugs arent as deep as an r1. i would highly recommend some agressive tire chains. if you set the rear tires as wide as they go there is just enough room for the chains to clear the fenders.

where did you find an 02 with so few hours? the 04 i ran is pushing 1000 now.

thecfarm

Maine372 is right,I had a tractor with the r1s and have one now with those r4s. A BIG difference. I don't like the r4s at all.But to change them to the good ones with some traction,when they do wear out,I might have to buy new rims??? But like mjeselskis,buy used that's what it came with. About the only thing that I like about those r4s,is for packing the soil. I have a place that I am bringing some dirt into. Those tires will pack it down good. Look at billm tires. If those r4s were good tires he would be running them.

mjeselskis

Quote from: beenthere on November 14, 2012, 10:43:24 PM
I use windshield washer fluid. Cheap and weighs almost as much as water per gallon. Slightly less than calcium and a lot easier to remove and add back without hiring a truck to stop by for a job.

The same FEL #430 that I have on my Deere 4300.
Do you have the ROPS folded? Mine is fixed and I've thought about some headache bars (think there is a better name for them) to protect the hood and over my head while in the woods. Don't like catching limbs/branches on the ROPS that then whap the back of my head. Like to have them slide up and over the ROPS.

ROPS is permanently "folded"... The previous owner was an older gentleman that didnt like the way the ROPS looked so he cut it off level with the sheetmetal behind the seat. One of my first projects is to correct that.

As you mentioned some limb risers or headache bars would be nice to make the limbs sweep up over the hood and ROPS to keep them out of my face.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Maine372 on November 15, 2012, 07:35:34 AM
delektos (before they were hammond) did the valve stem protectors on the 990 i ran before they delivered it. they just used threaded pipe and pipe caps. they are very rugged and it just takes a pipe wrench to break them loose when needed.

those r4s are nice for the extra plys but the lugs arent as deep as an r1. i would highly recommend some agressive tire chains. if you set the rear tires as wide as they go there is just enough room for the chains to clear the fenders.

where did you find an 02 with so few hours? the 04 i ran is pushing 1000 now.

The tractor came from Indiana. It was from a homeowner that lived in a development that used it to till his garden and play around the yard. I searched near and far for quite  a while before I found one I liked. Now that I have it, I dont think I could ever go without a tractor again.

I don't have alot of mud so I think the R4's will do what I need in the summer, and I will probably pick up a set of chains for the winter. I do like the R4's for working in the field, they don't tear it up like the R4's I have used in the past.

thecfarm

Looks like a new building you have your tractor in? I like to see a tractor under cover.

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on November 15, 2012, 08:05:49 AM
Looks like a new building you have your tractor in? I like to see a tractor under cover.

The garage is about 5-6 years old. We bought the buildings and land as a package, but the garage is definitely my favorite part... :D It is great to be able to keep everything inside. I was just praying for a woodlot to build on, but the answer I got was 10x better than what I had in mind.

bill m

R4 tires are pretty much useless in snow. If you are going to try to do much work in the winter you will need chains. Labonville in NH has good chains made by Trygg. For ballast in the tires I have Rim Guard.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mjeselskis

Quote from: bill m on November 15, 2012, 07:25:14 PM
R4 tires are pretty much useless in snow. If you are going to try to do much work in the winter you will need chains. Labonville in NH has good chains made by Trygg. For ballast in the tires I have Rim Guard.

I'll have to check out the chains at Labonville. There is a location about 30 minutes from me.

g_man

Quote from: mjeselskis on November 14, 2012, 08:36:18 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2012, 08:16:36 PM
Need to weld something around the valve stem. I just used a piece of ¼" flat stock a little higher than the stem. Leave room to work on the stem too.On one I used a piece of 3 or 4 inch pipe with threads on it and put a cap on it too. My NH came with the protectors on the front tires but none on the rear,which I feel was kinda odd. Need them on back more,those are the expensive tubes. I suppose you have tubes in your tires?Seem like if you weld with air in the tire it will explode?? Seem like I heard about that on here?

All the tires are tubeless right now, but I actually need to have the rears broken down to remove the calcium since it is weeping through the bead and rusting the rim. I'll probably have tubes put back in at that time. I don't think I want to weld to the rim so I may pass on the guards for now. I'll just have to be careful where I'm going

I would recomend you rethink the your decision to leave the valve stem guards off. All that it takes to ruin your day is one stick or branch take you can't see buried in the snow. Happened to me twice in one week before I decided to put guards on.

Ed_K

2nd the valve guards especially if you spend $ on rim guard,which i recomend highly.
Ed K

mjeselskis

Quote from: Ed_K on November 16, 2012, 07:41:13 PM
2nd the valve guards especially if you spend $ on rim guard,which i recomend highly.
Ok, sounds like I'll want to reconsider the guards. It wouldn't be hard to weld on some pipe and thread a cap on. It's breaking down the tires, and cleaning and painting the rim after to try to make it look like it came from the factory this way.

Piston

Even WITH the valve stem guards I've had a stem rip out on me.  I'd also highly recommend them.  ;D

I bought a set of ladder chains for my R4's last year but never put them on because we barely got any snow.  I'm going to try them this year but if they aren't good enough I'll buy a nice set of more aggressive chains.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Okrafarmer

Ring chains are nice. Those were the ones that really seemed to work up in Maine. We somehow got along without them, which means I got to be something of an expert at getting unstuck.  ;D

logman81

I use a set of forest trac stud chains made of boron steel. They make a bid difference in snow and ice plus protect the tires better then later chains just my 2 cents.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Okrafarmer

My, that boron/borax stuff does get around!

Thank You Sponsors!