iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting branches of a standing maple

Started by Czech_Made, January 06, 2017, 07:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

CM,

How big is the tree and how big and how high is the last limb you plan on cutting?

I have used a climbing deer stand for such but if its a valued shade tree you need to be sure it is one that does not bite into the tree and cause permanent damage. (The same would be true with someone using climbing spikes.) I'd climb the tree and have a heavy cord or small rope tied to a small chainsaw below then pull it up and lower it as needed. The deer stand can be rotated around so you are behind the limb so it won't fall on you.

If the tree is too big for such a deer stand you might consider getting a trained/licensed arborist. A good one is well worth his pay in such cases.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

low_48

How many branches are some? I've taken off higher branches with a manual pull saw with several pole extensions, but at my age, it's getting to be one branch a day. Pulling on the pole for a half hour is no fun, the bark tears under the branch, I can't control the landing, and my neck gets bad if I look up that long! Keeping the saw in the kerf isn't much fun at the start either. I'm about to the point in life where I'm going to call a service and tell them that the next time they are in the neighborhood..........

Al_Smith

I've got an inexpensive Poulan pole saw .It does okay for what is .You have to use a little common sense gravity being what is else you could drop the limb on your head which would not be good .
With that thing you can  get up to maybe 12 feet with it.It's not designed for professional use. I've cut 8-10 inch stuff with it just takes a while

These little things are just weed wacker engines that use a flex shaft for the pole saw part and usually come with a weed wacker attachment .You can also buy a head and turn it into a mini tiller like a Mantis. Poulan I think still makes them,Sears might still sell them .

They don't cut like a Stihl or Husqvarna pole saw but they don't cost  800-1000 bucks either .Mine was 200 a few years back .

DonT

Pruning is part science, part art. You want to make sure your pruning cuts are made properly to protect the tree.  You don't want to leave stubs and you do not want the bark to tear off. Most medium to large pruning cuts are achieved in three stages,an undercut (about a ft from the tree main stem) an over cut above the first cut (most of the branch will fall with this cut) and finally a stub cut on the branch ridge collar,with most of the weight off,you will avoid tears in the bark. This can be achieved with a decent pole saw or by climbing up to the branch. If you have previous tree climbing experience then you know how to do this.If you don't,maybe consider getting training or hiring a qualified individual. Rigging is the lowering of pieces of a tree safely to the ground . Usually an arborist block is positioned in the tree. A rigging line is used to connect the branch,block and usually a friction device at the bottom of the tree to assist in lowering heavy pieces. There are a lot of good you tube videos,on pruning, rigging and climbing for you to have a look at.  I also suggest you look at some of the "tree felling gone bad" videos. These act as a reminder to stay with in our own personal skill set. Remember it may be cheaper in the long run to hire someone and you clean up, rather than have to buy new tools you may never need again. As with anything tree related, safety first and wear all of the PPE that should be worn.  Just my .2 cents    DT

Wudman

I bought an electric pole saw for working around my yard and driveway.  It was under $100 bucks.  I built a work platform that mounted on the 3-point hitch of my tractor (I use it for many elevated work tasks).  I use a generator that I already owned to power the unit.  With the platform I am about 6 feet off the ground.  I am about 6 feet tall.  The pole saw extends to 12 feet.  I can trim to 20 feet without much problem.  At full extension the pole saw is a bit end heavy.  You just about have to work straight overhead to control the saw.  I limbed a quarter of mile of driveway through a pine plantation in a couple of afternoons.  It works pretty well.  I use electric tools for most of my seasonal work.  With gas powered stuff, carb maintenance is a nightmare on small engines that are not used regularly.  I even have an electric mini garden tiller for use in the flowerbeds.  It is amazing the power that little thing has.  Electric tools have their niche.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Czech_Made

Thank you  ;D

I use caryall on my tractor to reach places, might as well add to it some steps.

This particular tree is within a reach of power cord from the house, I will buy pole saw from TSC to start on this job.

Quote from: Wudman on January 27, 2017, 10:48:26 AM
I bought an electric pole saw for working around my yard and driveway.  It was under $100 bucks.  I built a work platform that mounted on the 3-point hitch of my tractor (I use it for many elevated work tasks).  I use a generator that I already owned to power the unit.  With the platform I am about 6 feet off the ground.  I am about 6 feet tall.  The pole saw extends to 12 feet.  I can trim to 20 feet without much problem.  At full extension the pole saw is a bit end heavy.  You just about have to work straight overhead to control the saw.  I limbed a quarter of mile of driveway through a pine plantation in a couple of afternoons.  It works pretty well.  I use electric tools for most of my seasonal work.  With gas powered stuff, carb maintenance is a nightmare on small engines that are not used regularly.  I even have an electric mini garden tiller for use in the flowerbeds.  It is amazing the power that little thing has.  Electric tools have their niche.

Wudman

Thank You Sponsors!