iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I done did it...

Started by Mesquite Man, November 08, 2002, 09:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite Man

hit one of my DanG log stops on my brand new mill.  Less than 5 hours total time sawing and I am already experienced!  Didn't someone say a while back that you are not a true sawyer until you hit a dog or stop??!!

It was dark and I just had to mill one more board.  It was so dark I had to use a flashlight to see my height scale.  Did not remember to look to see if I had clearance!  Fortunately I was going quite slow and barely hit it.  Sure did see some sparks though!

Sawing ERC so I just left the blade on and kept on sawing.  Sawed 4 more 4/4 x 6 boards in the dark.  Seemed to saw pretty good still.  I guess I will change blades tomorrow as I am planning to saw a bunch of mesquite.

My pretty new mill has it's first battle scar!!  I am sure it will not be the last!

Sitruc
"Mesquite Man"
Curtis O. Seebeck
TimberKing 1220

dewwood

OOOOPS!

No harm, no foul.  

It's nice to become an experienced sawyer, now you don't have to worry about when it is going to happen.

Best of luck.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ARKANSAWYER

Now that is over you can sit down and start sawing.  While at a show in Springfield the demo man hit the mill.  Bibby has done it to his new mill and I have tried to cut Wanda more then once.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

I wonder if WM ever thought of giving out purple hearts to you fellas that reach this "spelcial plato" as a sawyer? ;D
Frank Pender

ohsoloco

The other day I was sawing cants to take to the pallet mill.  Being in a hurry (always my biggest mistake) I didn't think about the stops when I lowered the saw 5 1/2 inches until I pushed the saw into one of them.  What a noise!  Didn't think I did TOO much damage when I was inspecting the blade until I saw about a two foot section with no teeth   :o

Brian_Bailey

Sitruc,

Welcome to the club!  Some join right away, others take a little longer but we all become members sooner or later  :D.  Touchup paint is made just for situations like this.  You wouldn't want that freshly exposed metal to rust do ya?  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

smwwoody

anyone ever cut the handle off of the set works on an old hand set mill  :o
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Kevin_H.

I have hit or dinged almost anything you can on my mill, the worst was running my debarker in to my log clamp, talk about a light show. and the mark is big enough that most of the custom customers will ask about it. :o
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Noble_Ma

I've hit my log support as well as a cant hook!  That's OK, I needed one with a shorter handle anyway ;D  My son hasn't let me forget it though!

OneWithWood

Yo, Sitruc,  congratulations.  You are running way ahead of me :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DextorDee

Know the feeling. Got my mill last Thursday, was trying to saw that last board  oops to low, sparks, bad words.  I guess  it wasn't all bad , at least I learned how to install a new blade..
Man have I got a lot to learn.........
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

D._Frederick

I seen it done onTV,
Our local TV station will have an hr time slot on old time things about once a year. They were showing this old time steam powered circular sawmill sawing. They were sawing a cant up into what looked like 2X, when the last cut was made, the off-bear loosend the dog and pulled the board off  which pulled the dog out, the sawyer giged the carriage back and the dog into the saw. The camera was in back of the off-bearer and showed the shower of sparks and shankes and teeth flying. What a picture to see and hear!

SawBilly

Congrats and Condolances (sp)

It is far better to make small mistakes that you can live with than to make big ones you can't!

Does the Forum have a Spell checker???

Tom

Welcome Dextordee.

Lots of stories here for the initiated and un-initiated alike. Kinda like right of passage to misjudge like that. We all cringe at the stories like students do when the teacher scrapes her fingernails down the blackboard. ::) :-/ :-/ :-X

Thank You Sponsors!