iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olympyk chainsaw...

Started by mrcaptainbob, May 12, 2014, 03:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I finally picked up the Olympyk saw from the neighbor widow. The model appears to be 212 something. I know nothing about them. Where can I dig up info? Gas/oil mix ratio, engine size, chain size info.... And...where would I go to find it's worth?

beenthere

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,74497.msg1128366.html#msg1128366

Is this the same saw you spoke about last month?

Do you think it is not worth what you paid for it?  Am wondering why you bought it?  I know, non of my business...   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mrcaptainbob

Hi, Beenthere. Not at all. It is the same saw and she insisted I take it today and when I find out what to pay her...she's fine with it. No way do I want to take advantage and underpay. It appears to be in good shape. Did not start it, as I trust her saying it does run. I need to know things about it. Certainly what a fair price would be, but also the oil mix ratio and other important stuff. I did see the Made in Italy lettering on it. Where might I find the model number? Or is it those numbers (212_ something...) maybe 212i ?  Part of that label is worn away. I tried looking on i-net for info with not much success. Any help would be appreciated.
As for why I bought it, I have a small chainsaw mill that needs a powerhead and I thought.....

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

isawlogs

I had an Olympic 272 way back in the early 80's. I bought the saw used from a friend who had a rental shop. I sold it to my BIL not long after, I prefered my Stihls and Huskys.
It did have some balls for a 72cc saw.... but was a little on the heavy side for my likin'. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SawTroll

Long story, but it is the old brand name in North America for what now is Efco saws.

As I remember it, it was the IOC that sued them to change the brand name to something that didn't sound like it had anything to do with the Olympic games..... :D
Information collector.

mrcaptainbob

I guess it must be the graphics that made it look like a one instead of a seven. Went through the list and could only find a 272j and I suspect that's what it is. So it's 40:1 mix. Different than my Stihls, but I can work with that. Thanks for the spec info. All that's left now is ...well, what do I offer the lady for it?

mrcaptainbob

Any advice on how I can find it's worth?

beenthere

Did it start up fine and run? .. or not?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mrcaptainbob

Fired it up today. It started rather easily and ran great. It has a 20" bar on it. But it still looks like a 212i rather than 272j. Wish those parts of the side decal weren't missing. Is there any other way to confirm what model it is?

mrcaptainbob

Do you guys think 150 bucks would be a fair price? Too much? Too little? I have absolutely NO idea what to offer her. Really need some guidance.

isawlogs

Here's my take on this... 150$ is way more then I would put out for it. The saw is old, now wether it has been used or not, it is still an old saw and parts will be hard to get if you can still get them. Take this into account before commeting to buy it, don't be paying for sentimental value.
  Half of what you have posted would be top of what I would even think of offering, if I was even to offer anything for it.
  I bought an 034 in new condition for about the same money a few weeks ago. It came with the original bar and chain.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mrcaptainbob

Thanks, Isawlogs. I spoke with her today and we settled on a hundred bucks. It may be more than should have been, but there have been compensations in other areas. She's been more than fair with me, I want to be more than fair with her. Neighbors, yes. Friends, even more so.
Again, thanks to all for the help and guidance.

isawlogs

Main thing here is that alls good with every one involved.  ;) :)

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!