iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too Heavy ??

Started by Magicman, November 29, 2017, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

We set up on the 54" butt white oak today, although, somebody went and swapped it out for a red  :D
We fought it all morning through the first log but finally got dialed in here. The slope and saw are right, it didn't need me, I walked around and got a shot in action  ;D.

I sure wish we had made this connection 6 months ago, the guy does shoulder surgery... I'd have been happy to trade work  :D

Brucer

I usually use water and liquid soap, 'cause it's cheap. Cooking oil works, too. So does snow (oh, wait -- I don't think you get any of that :D).

Don't forget the side stops as well. I just put some lube on the log above the side stops.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Well I didn't get it.   :-\

While I was sawing yesterday the tree service dropped the White Oak and bucked it into 11' 11" lengths.   smiley_headscratch   Tree service guy said that he found a market for them.

35" Butt.  I would have loved to have gotten it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

I am going to show my ignorance here, but here goes anyway. What kind of market would one cut them at 11' 11"??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Not an ignorant question at all and notice that I put a  smiley_headscratch behind the 11' 11".   I would have been interested in buying a 16½' log but those were worthless to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: starmac on December 15, 2017, 09:27:41 PM
I am going to show my ignorance here, but here goes anyway. What kind of market would one cut them at 11' 11"??

So it can fit in his truck for fire wood.  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Actually that could be exactly right.   :-\

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on December 15, 2017, 09:34:10 PM
Not an ignorant question at all and notice that I put a  smiley_headscratch behind the 11' 11".   I would have been interested in buying a 16½' log but those were worthless to me.
I'd speculate somebody just made the naughty list >:(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a huge market for 10 foot air dried and kiln dried Oak. A green log that comes in at 11'11" makes my day. Drying slabs and lumber that's Oak is gonna check up on the ends. That little bit of extra will be sawn off after drying and leave me with a nice 10' slab or board.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I would have bucked it at least 12' 3" to give the customer a choice, but I understand what David is saying.  Of course I don't sell so it matters not.

I just wish that I had been home so that I could have had a choice.   :-\

starmac

That is what I was thinking. The only market we have here for 12 foot logs is firewood, period. if I was buying for my own mill and someone brought a whack of 11'11" or even 12 foot even, I would be paying for 10 footers.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

That makes sense.  I was interested in 16½' for trailer decking.  I had previously gotten all of the 12' bridge decking lumber that I needed.

paul case

My guess is he didnt have a tape measure. some walnut loggers here in my area dont even carry a tape measure.Buyers will buy 6' and up on walnut logs.

MM,
I have a whack of pecker pole post oak trees that you can cut 16.5' for your trailer floor and I will give you what you need. They will not be too heavy. The commute is a killer i bet, but if you are by this way, you cut them down and I will load them 4 ya or we can saw them on wwsjr's old mill and send ya home with them. This deal does NOT include installation.
I remember how good you were to help out Mdean when we bought her mill. Thank you.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

isawlogs

I have had my share of big logs and now leave them for the young bucks to deal with.  ;)

That being said, I do understand you needing the lumber that would of come off it. Hope you find another to soot your needs, hopping its smaller to make handling easier !!!   :)

Marcell.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Bruno of NH

I think they cut veneer logs and the logs they send to china an odd length.
The hardwood mill by me loads lots of oak into containers and they all get lined up and trimmed while the buyer is there.
Than mans looks like he's from china.
I'm i allowed to say that ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

The only reason that I was interested in this tree/log was because it was next door to where we live.  It wasn't a need but a want for future use because I seldom have an opportunity to snag White Oak.

My next door neighbor is presently taking down two Cherrybark Red Oak trees that are between us.

This picture was taken from where I am sitting.  I have no use for the logs and my firewood shed is full.

Thank You Sponsors!