iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remote Wilderness Cabin at an Old Mine

Started by fred in montana, December 28, 2014, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TW

Looks like a fine place......

By the way I know many old machinery enthusiasts and museums who would be very happy if they had that small vertical steam engine at the nearby mine. I wish somebody would resque it while it is still possible to repair.

fred in montana

QuoteBy the way I know many old machinery enthusiasts and museums who would be very happy if they had that small vertical steam engine at the nearby mine. I wish somebody would resque it while it is still possible to repair.

I bet. I would like to myself but it is private property.

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

square1

Weekend_Sawyer

Fred, this is a very interesting thread.
Thanks
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Hilltop366

Great adventure! Thanks for Including us.

BradMarks

That is about the neatest thing to be involved in. Way to go!  The backdrop pics show a LOT of dead trees, hillsides full.  That would be my biggest concern - fire safe in the event of lightning in the area.  But - no shortage of building materials, or firewood!

Ljohnsaw

That is so cool to find old stuff.  On my 10 acres, right of I-80, I've only found the rusted, bent frame of a Model T and an old, large, outhouse that is half fallen over.  I'm sure there is more as the old Emigrant Trail crosses my property.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

reride82

Fred,
Awesome property! I love old mining claims, and as a land surveyor I survey them often around Butte, MT. I've surveyed a couple up around Basin, MT up cataract creek basin. If you've found 2 of the corners, the others shouldn't be to hard. I assume it's a 20 acre claim? Do you have the original survey and notes? If not, I can point you in the right direction to find those. The notes describe what each corner is, how they were referenced either by bearing stone or tree, where certain physical properties cross the property lines, and any problems the original surveyor encountered. Maybe you could snowmobile in with some of your bigger tools and store them until spring since snowmobiles don't fall under the same rules as atvs, but you may still need to thin some trees for a manageable trail. Building with beetle killed lodgepole pine is pretty awesome. Straight, minimal branches, and usually very dry and have already undergone their shrinking and cracking. Again, awesome find and congrats!  :new_year:
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

fred in montana

Yes, two of the corners had witness trees with the mineral survey number in them. The other two are at the far end of the claim. I haven't explored it fully yet. The plat shows all of the info needed to retrace.

I would like to snowmobile in with some materials but I don't have one.

logdovetailjig.com

TW

Quote from: fred in montana on December 29, 2014, 06:11:14 AM
QuoteBy the way I know many old machinery enthusiasts and museums who would be very happy if they had that small vertical steam engine at the nearby mine. I wish somebody would resque it while it is still possible to repair.

I bet. I would like to myself but it is private property.
I forgot about those weird "no trespassing" laws in your country.
Over here trespassing is a legal right so it is pretty common in cases like that to call the landowner and tell that you have been trespassing and ask if the abandoned machine is for sale and offer to call back two weeks later when the landowner has had time to make up his mind and come up with an asking price. Usually landowners are willing to sell their abandoned stuff for a very reasonable price when you call back.

BradMarks

Sorry, but weird is not what the No Trespassing laws are.  It means stay out, you're not welcome.  Nowhere will you find the word "access" (except NO) when defining trespassing.  I don't have a sign up, but I would think an univited guest in my backyard could be a problem.

sawguy21

Getting off topic here but 'trespassing is a legal right' in Finland? Here private means just that, no entry without permission. Too many want to leave with stuff without asking first.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cbla

that country side looks nice. it is always so interesting how mother nature reclaims the land.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: BradMarks on December 30, 2014, 12:54:45 PM
Sorry, but weird is not what the No Trespassing laws are.  It means stay out, you're not welcome.  Nowhere will you find the word "access" (except NO) when defining trespassing.  I don't have a sign up, but I would think an univited guest in my backyard could be a problem.

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 30, 2014, 02:19:55 PM
Getting off topic here but 'trespassing is a legal right' in Finland? Here private means just that, no entry without permission. Too many want to leave with stuff without asking first.

In much of England and Europe, land is open for people to pass through for hiking and exercise (trekking)--that doesn't mean hunting, logging, etc.  It's a little more civilized in that regard.  It would be considered extremely rude if you blocked access through your property.  It's not like in the US where people might shoot you for stepping foot on "your land". 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
e aho laula

reride82

Quote from: fred in montana on December 29, 2014, 08:44:52 PM
Yes, two of the corners had witness trees with the mineral survey number in them. The other two are at the far end of the claim. I haven't explored it fully yet. The plat shows all of the info needed to retrace.

I would like to snowmobile in with some materials but I don't have one.

Heck, if ya showed me how to make those fancy dovetail joints like on that last cabin you built, I'd loan you one for a month or two  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

TW

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on December 30, 2014, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: BradMarks on December 30, 2014, 12:54:45 PM

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 30, 2014, 02:19:55 PM

In much of England and Europe, land is open for people to pass through for hiking and exercise (trekking)--that doesn't mean hunting, logging, etc.  It's a little more civilized in that regard.  It would be considered extremely rude if you blocked access through your property.  It's not like in the US where people might shoot you for stepping foot on "your land". 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam

Private land in Finland means that you are free to walk or bicykle and ski wherever you want except on farmed fields and gardens and free to pick wild berries and herbs and materials for broom making but all other rights belong to the landowner.
This freedom is on certain conditions:
-You are not allowed to come so close to the landowner's house or cabin that you violate his right to privacy. This usually means out of sight in the woods or some 100 metres in open terrain.
-You are not allowed to damage any kind of planted or farmed crop.
-You are not allowed to kill any animal.
-You are not allowed to damage a timber tree or anything that may ever become a timber tree.
-You are allowed to pick wild berries but not to destroy future berry harvests.
-You are not allowed to do any damage to any belongings that the landowner has left on his land.
-You are not allowed to drive any kind of motorized vehicle.
In practice nobody will care if you drive a snowmobile or even a tractor across his land to get a necsessary job done provided that the ground is frozen and there is enough snow to prewent the tyre chains from damaging anything.

To close off your land from trespassings or put up "no trespassing" sings is illegal.

This has it's perks for landowners too:
A very efficient precaution against thiefs and poachers. Poaching on private land is almost unheard of because of the odds that a legal trespasser will turn up and witness what is going on and tell the police or the landowner. Illegal logging is very unusual and illegal squatters on private land are totally unknown. There have been a few small marijuana plantations made by trespassers but they are usually found by legal trespassers and reported to the police. Many wounded loggers have also been resqued by legal trespassers before freezing or bleeding to death.
The idea is that when the decent citizens keep out the scums will move in with their monkey business.

fred in montana

So I had started this cabin right after labor day which left me only a few weeks until the snow flies. Here is progress from weekend number 3.

The next weekend was cold and wet. I made a "stump stove" to keep warm and to make coffee on. This was the first one I had ever made and I was really impressed. It burned for hours with little tending.

About 50 yards from the cabin site I found this. Many years ago someone had leaned it against a tree and the tree had grown around it and eventually died. It is made of two 1/2 thick boards nailed together. It was about 12 feet long and there is a slotted hole in the top center, like a handhole. The bottom edge is straight and the top tapers from the middle down toward the ends. The taper is a curve (no linear). The width is about 12 inches near the slot and the width at the ends was around 4 inches. I have a theory on what it is but I would like to get some thoughts from you.

I worked hard and get some more logs up. I am peeling the inside but wanted to leave the bark on the outside for more of a rustic look and to speed progress.

logdovetailjig.com

square1

Nice!
Good to see you have a willing helper ;)

goose63

Fred I see one thing wrong with your little peace of heaven  on earth where is the door ?
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

greasemonkey

Looks great ,I would like to do this one day.

Brian_Weekley

Looks great!  Do you have help, or are you "Alone in the Wilderness"?
e aho laula

fred in montana

Had a little help but so far mostly just me.

Doors and windows will be cut out later.
logdovetailjig.com

woodworker9

Love it!!  Thanks for the updates, and please keep them coming.  I don't need to tell you that you've got a special place there.

Enjoy, and happy New Year.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Ljohnsaw

About your board with the handle in it, just a WAG - a mortar board for doing the chinking for a cabin??
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!