iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spacing between stacks

Started by AnthonyW, August 19, 2015, 11:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

Currently the foundation of my air-drying lumber is two wooden pallets. I have two stacks of lumber and about to start a third. The stacks are about 3.5' wide and 6 feet tall.

How much space do you, or should you leave between the stacks of stickered lumber?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

beenthere

Need to maintain good air flow. Can stack them end to end, no problem. But side by each, I'd leave at least 5' and not allow any grass or brush to grow. Good covers on the stacks to prevent rain from soaking down through them, and sufficient weight on the stacks for the top courses to stay straight.

A weak spot may be your wood pallets for a good foundation.  Some pics would help if it it critique that you want.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Escavader

We leave 8 feet and we dbl stack tin on top 8 inches off. Ground keep grass down or killed  test wind direction of normal blow orient your packs to go thru stickered lumber I personnally don't go too close end to end don't want to shade lumber so 8 feet on that too. I maintain a yard with several million feet drying at a time
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Escavader on August 19, 2015, 05:39:30 PM
We leave 8 feet and we dbl stack tin on top 8 inches off. Ground keep grass down or killed  test wind direction of normal blow orient your packs to go thru stickered lumber I personnally don't go too close end to end don't want to shade lumber so 8 feet on that too. I maintain a yard with several million feet drying at a time

I would like to see a pic of the yard.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A minimum of 24" is the spacing, edge to edge.  Narrower can hurt.  Wider is ok.

You need about 10" of open space under the stacks to carry moist air awaY.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Escavader

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 19, 2015, 09:46:35 PM

I will do better then that come to Belgrade and I'll give you a tour of mills kilns and yardPm me if enough want a group tour we can arrange

Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Escavader

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 19, 2015, 09:46:35 PM

Im inventorying my yards tomorrow pics coming this weekend

Alan Bickford

Thank You Sponsors!