iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln insulation

Started by Bnewman712, May 25, 2018, 06:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnewman712

Does anyone know if putting celotex thermal polyisocyanurate board on the walls is good? It's foul faced so seems like it may work even better to reflect the heat in????

WDH

I used it on mine.  Covered it with a vapor barrier then covered that with a layer of 1/2" treated plywood.  If you don't cover it with plywood, you will  knock holes in it or tear it up.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bnewman712

I will cover it most likely but just thought it may work better not 

WDH

You will definitely tear it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bnewman712

Quote from: WDH on May 25, 2018, 07:36:30 AM
I used it on mine.  Covered it with a vapor barrier then covered that with a layer of 1/2" treated plywood.  If you don't cover it with plywood, you will  knock holes in it or tear it up.

Ok btw how do you like the kd150

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The foil does not help in a well insulated wall.  It does make a good vapor barrier, but best to also use plastic.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I have the Nyle version, the L53.  It is the same as the KD150.  Nyle makes both, they are one and the same.  It is a little wood drying beast, for sure.

YellowHammer

I have one also, and it is a good machine.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bnewman712

Cool what does setting pitch mean??  

WDH

Running the temp in the kiln up to 150 degrees or so to make the sticky pitch set and get solid so that it does not ooze pitch on your customers projects.  Just make sure that you turn the compressor off before you set the dry bulb temp at 150 degrees or you will trip the compressor.  Don't ask me how I know this.......... :)

Bnewman712

Haha so when it's dry 8-10% I set to 150 to do that for how long? And does not matter what type of wood? And by what do you mean ozz out? 

WDH

Yes, at the end of the drying cycle, turn off the compressor and set the dry bulb temp at 150 degrees.  When the chamber gets to 150 degrees, hold that temp for 24 hours.  This will set the pitch in softwoods and sterilize hardwoods to kill any beetles, larvae, or viable eggs in the wood.

You don't want sticky boards in resinous wood like pine.  You also do not want insects in the wood.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The longer you hold the 150 F, the more sap, that would be sticky and/or move, you will evaporate.  I would suggest that 2 days will do a fairly good job.  Note that at this temperature, moisture will evaporate, so try to keep the kiln sealed up as best you can to stop moisture loss.  The greater the moisture loss, the more warp, the more brittleness when machining, and the harder to nail and saw.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Bruno of NH

Do you need the vaper barrier ?
If you tape the joints on the foil face insulation with vaper tape or foil tape?
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

I would say yes.  Just a cheap way to guarantee a very good vapor barrier.

Bruno of NH

I'm just taking this all in.
I'm going to have a kiln at some point 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!