iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood Clock

Started by Magicman, March 22, 2012, 11:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After I built Jeff's clock last year a guy from Minnesota saw a post and asked me if I would build one for him.  I was hesitant, but he explained that he wanted it built for his Dad's Birthday present and that he wanted it built out of his Dad's Redwood barn lumber.  Well, that tugged on my heartstrings and I reluctantly agreed to do it.

Imagine my surprise when the UPS guy delivered the "lumber".  :o

Three well worn 2X8's about 2' and 3' in length.  Now what??  I tried to forget about it, but it just would not go away.  I have to build a clock out of that.  Nails everywhere.

Some of them had disintegrated into just rust.  Others pulled in two.  All were difficult.

I then took the longest to the sawmill to try to resaw it.

I had to build a sacrificial jig to hold it for sawing

And finally managed to resaw one board.

Then when I started sawing the individual parts they split apart in the weathered cracks.

And all had to be reglued back together.

As I began the assemble, other pieces had to be glued back together.

The main clock enclosure is now complete, the base is cut out, and the door is "lap mitered" and is ready for glass and gluing.

The door is squared up and clamped.

The main clock enclosure will have the weathered and worn side out.  The base and top will be planed and sanded.  This is to show the character of the weathered wood and also the beauty of the tight grained Redwood.

Wonder what it looks like when you knock your entire tray of brass screws off of the work bench?  :-\

The door hinges are morticed.

The top pieces are not attached yet.  Final assembly should be tomorrow, and then maybe even a coat of Tung oil.  Maybe I can also get some closeup pictures of the tight grained wood.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lud

Nice work..............as always. ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

kderby

Oi!  Brass on the floor  ::) ::) ::)   Oi!

It will keep ya humble. ;D

That wood might have been growing when Jerusalem was visited by three wise men..... 

I am looking forward to the fine grain photo.  Thanks MM

sandhills

Thanks Magicman, there's no doubt that will be an heirloom!  It never ceases to amaze me how you and other folks here can look at a pile of otherwise "scrap" and turn it into something like that.

CHARLIE

You sure have a lot of perseverance.  A lot of huge obstacles and you stuck with it to overcome each one. When the boards split apart and you glued them all back together I just though....Wow!  Your customer's father is going to really appreciate that clock and when he's gone, it will become an heirloom to the family.

Bummer with those brass screws.  Can't use a magnet either. Gotta sweep 'em up into a dustpan. :)  One of my big frustrations is when I drop something important into  the pile of shavings under my lathe. Talk about finding the proverbial needle in a haystack! 

I very impressed on how you've turned those old boards into a beautiful clock. Nice work. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

TreeWinder

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

SwampDonkey

Wow, what a journey for those pieces of red wood. Plus the obstacles and challenges of the wood artist. That's going to be real special to those folks in MN. Looking great. ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

He might want to see these pictures too. Than he might realize the extra work you put in to it. That looks some pretty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: thecfarm on March 23, 2012, 07:36:57 AM
He might want to see these pictures too.

I will include a CD with all of the pictures (there are many more) and print these pictures and make him a little album.

It's all about pleasing the customer, no matter what you do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

MM you have extraordinary patience and talent.

Magicman

On a QS piece I counted 43 growth rings in one inch.

Here is a rift sawn section of the lumber.

The camera flash makes it look glossy, but it is not.  The finish is very satin.

A couple of photos of the top.

The reflection is bad because almost everything is reflective.
It has no hands yet, but I guess that is OK, it doesn't have any feet either.

This shows that the clock body displays the character of the old worn lumber.  The top and base show the beauty inside.   

Axe Handle Hound

Nicely done MM.  Who says you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse?

beenthere

Are the pieces left weathered in the clock also redwood?

And the finished redwood pieces were on the barn?

Looks great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yes, it is all the same lumber from the customer's Dad's barn.  Some kind of 2" flooring because it was worn down from traffic over the years.  I resawed one piece to gain the needed ¾" lumber.  The lumber for the actual clock enclosure was weathered side out.  The rest is planed and sanded.  It has an interesting contrast showing the beauty as well as the weathered character.

Woodchuck53

Nice MM. A lot of work but well worth the effort. I like old wood also.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

metalspinner

Great work, Magic man!

I love your idea to showcase the rough and surfaced pieces.   :)

Do the rough parts have any finish on them?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Very nice as was said about the contrast of the old surfaces with the finished surfaces.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yes Chris, I applied a coat of Danish oil on the weathered wood to seal it.  Everything will probably get at least one more coat of oil.  I think that the customer's Dad will be pleased and I know that he will be surprised.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Burlkraft

Another MM masterpiece!  Well Done!!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Rooster

Nice Clock! MM!

It almost looked like a restoration project.

Quote from: kderby on March 23, 2012, 12:01:39 AM
That wood might have been growing when Jerusalem was visited by three wise men..... 

kderby,
It wasn't Jerusalem... the town was Bethlehem...just in case you qualify to compete on Jeopardy!!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

bama20a

Dang,MM you are a man of many talents,I would have threw it in the trash when it split,But you did an outstanding job to go on & finish it.
I like the rough & then finished part of it.May sound corney,But it reminds me of the song,DADDY'S HANDS. Alittle worn on the outside,But smooth on the inside.Very nice work...Mark
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

I hope that someday I can meet the "Dad" that it's going to as a gift.  I have often wondered about him as I built.

When you build something for someone, you are contributing to them a portion of the greatest gift that any of us have which is our time.  Those hours of my life could have been spent doing something else.  My wish is that it is appreciated and cared for for many generations.  That way my time lives on providing pleasure to someone else.

SAWMILL BUDDY

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Rooster on March 25, 2012, 12:40:51 AM
Nice Clock! MM!

It almost looked like a restoration project.

Quote from: kderby on March 23, 2012, 12:01:39 AM

kderby,
It wasn't Jerusalem... the town was Bethlehem...just in case you qualify to compete on Jeopardy!!

Actually, Rooster, the wise men did visit Jerusalem. They went there to inquire of Herod, asking where was He who was born King of the Jews... Herod sent them on to Bethlehem...

Herb

Patty

Very nice work Magic!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

That is one special project.  Well done Magicman. :)

samandothers

Very nice!   

Did you route the edges?  If so, was there any issue with tear out from the driy wood? 

Looks great with the weathered and planed wood and oil finish.

Magicman

That is a very simply designed clock and really requires no special skills.  I had no problem with router tear out.  That wood is hard, but you have to go the correct direction too.

The only thing that is tricky is the combination miter/lap joints on the door.  I thought that I had actually invented that joint until I found it in a woodworking book.  I think that they stole my design. 

CHARLIE

Magicman, when I see old growth lumber, I also count the annual rings.  :)  Sometimes when someone buys something from my shop, I'll mention to them how long it took the tree to grow the wood used to make their item.  My bet is, they'd never give it a thought until I mentioned it to them.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Rooster

Congrats Herb!

You figured it out!

Charlie,...tell him what he's won!!! 8)
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

morgoon

Nice work!

Are you shipping it back?

If so what is the best way to keep it safe?
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Jemclimber

Beautiful simplistic design, with much patience putting the pieces back together.  Will it have and hourly sound? 
lt15

Magicman

It will be shipped, but by what method is still undecided.  If I could find someone going to Madison, Mn  ???

I normally use a movement with the full Westminster chimes, but this will be "time only".

Misfit

Great workmanship MM! That's sure to be a treasured item for the father.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Magicman

Finished and shipped. 

Now I'm just hoping that UPS won't mess up and mess it up. 

SwampDonkey

Looks like another one of your fine clocks is on it's way to it's rightful home.  8)

I forget how I brought a mantel clock back from Va on the airline. But it made it home. Been ticking since October 2001. :)

Bill Gaiche

MM that is a very unusual design, but very nice. He will be very proud of that clock. There will be a lot of stories told because of that clock. Isnt it amazing how your heart was touched and it guided you through this project. And time marches on. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic, how do we order a clock?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

The problem is, David, is that you are old enough to know what that means  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 14, 2012, 11:27:57 PM
The problem is, David, is that you are old enough to know what that means  :).

HEE-HAW  :D

Magicman

:)  The clock arrived in Madison, Mn. safely and in one piece.  The customer was happy so now I can relax.  The clock is a Birthday gift for the customers Dad on May 6th.  I sent a CD with all of the pictures of it being built so he can also make an album for him.

BR-549 has been disconnected.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2012, 06:55:56 PM
:)  The clock arrived in Madison, Mn. safely and in one piece.  The customer was happy so now I can relax.  The clock is a Birthday gift for the customers Dad on May 6th.  I sent a CD with all of the pictures of it being built so he can also make an album for him.

BR-549 has been disconnected.   ;D

HELLO......HELLO......OPERATOR, I'VE BEEN DISCONNECTED!  >:( >:( >:(

smiley_furious smiley_furious smiley_furious smiley_furious smiley_furious

Warbird

SwampDonkey

Everyone is happy, that's the main thing. Good it made it in one piece.  :)

CHARLIE

I've enjoyed the story of the clock. Thank you 
Charlie

Magicman

I got a very nice email from the customer yesterday.  His Dad's 70th Birthday party is next week so I am sure that I will hear more. 

CHARLIE

I'm hoping you share it when you get the letter.  :)
Charlie

clww

As always, great job, Lynn! 8)

Back to the Hee-Haw....I remember back when it was on in the 70s, we had a "party line" on our phone until about 75 or 76. Anybody remember those?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

samandothers

The number of people that know that number are becoming fewer and fewer!  Heeee Hawww!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: clww on April 30, 2012, 08:50:58 AM
I remember back when it was on in the 70s, we had a "party line" on our phone until about 75 or 76. Anybody remember those?

Yes I do, and the village gossip held out until the end and she was the only one on the line. She also did this because the phone rate was half that of private. Finally, they took it out in the early nineties. She "rubbered" on everyone while she could even the phone company. :D

Hey, I'm only in my 40's and I remember Heehaw with Roy Clark and Minnie Perle with that hat and price tag dangling down. ;D Of course I was too young to remember much but between mother, dad and grandparents those were the TV shows one watched along with Lawrence Welk which they still air reruns of every week long after he died.

Magicman

UPS ran today and delivered a package to me from Madison, Mn.  It was of course from the clock customer.  Lotsa neat stuff which included some jerky and other meats, a JD cap, JD sweat shirt, JD thermos, a complete portable drill/light kit, and a check which included a nice tip.   smiley_thumbsup

The Birthday Party is this week.   :)

SwampDonkey

You must have a birthday to. ;D Mighty thoughtful of them folks. Musta got something right, eh? :)

beenthere

MM
You certainly deserved that, and it being JD made it just that much better... 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SAWMILL BUDDY

Good job. That's a happy customer for you. Makes you feel good about your work.

metalspinner

A sweatshirt?  It must still be cold up there. :D  We were in the mid 80's here today.

That's a sweet pile of goodies you have there, Magicman.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

He promised pictures of the Birthday Party.  I am excited and it is not even my party.   :)

WDH

That meat looks spoiled.  Send it to me, and I will check it out for you.

Magicman

We tried some "chicken jerky" this afternoon and it was really nice.  There is also soft jerky, snack sticks, and pepper/cheese snack sticks.

I quickly lost the drill combo to PatD.  She has been wanting her very own drill.  Looks like I'm gonna hafta hide the sweat shirt, wear the cap, eat the jerky, and cash the check or I will not have anything left.   :D :D

Buck

I sure am anxious for the "rest of the story".  Speaking of HeeHaw, hey Granpa, what's for supper? I always liked that show too.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

markd

Now that's just downright MAGIC!!!
markd

Misfit

Kinda sorta off topic but not totally........ we were driving through Greenville, TN over the weekend and saw a late 80's Chevy pickup with HEE-HAW hand painted on each side. Across the tailgate was BR-549 and on the rear bumper was J.R. Samples. He lives on!!
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

missykaymn

Hi there.  My name is Missy, and I am the sister to the MN guy that you just made this clock for.  There are no words to express how I feel about this clock that you made for my daddy.  Yes, I am almost 43 years old and still call him daddy...he is a very special person.  The wood that you took to create this clock goes back generations in our family and very close to our hearts.  What you did with it goes beyond beautiful in so many ways.  He will be receiving it on his birthday, which is on Saturday, and I am pretty sure there will be tears involved.  Thank you so very much for your patience during this project and the wonderful end product!!!  Here is a picture of this special man with my three boys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

With the love I see in your family and the love MAGIC puts in to his clocks....your family should always be on time.  :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Missy!

WDH

Hey Missy!

Welcome to the Forum.  Take some pics for us on Saturday.

Magicman

Was that tear mine?  Wow, what to say?  For once, the Magicman is at a loss for words, except thank you for allowing me to be a part of this upcoming special day in all of your lives.

Magicman

Missy,  What a surprise your post gave me, and what a joy it is to finally put a face on the person that I have had in my mind and on my heart since last July.  This clock has not been a destination but a journey.  My joy will be knowing that my contribution to this journey is in good hands and that it will become a family treasure.

As a side note:  Last year's clock build was especially for the owner of this forum, Jeff and Tammy Brokaw.  Had that not been done and Dave not seen it, then this event never would have taken place.  We just never know what lives we may touch.  LINK

Bill Gaiche

This clock story gets better everytime I read the thread. Welcome Missy and hope your family has the best party ever. bg

sandhills

Missy, welcome to the forum, it's made up with some very good people, one of which you've already been associated with.  Stick around, believe me you never know what you can learn around here  :).

SwampDonkey

Hi Missy, thanks for coming aboard the FF to express your special thanks and gratitude to MM and his clock making talent.  Hope your dad has a great birthday this Saturday. :)

Magicman

The Birthday Party was yesterday and Chuck was presented with his Redwood Clock.

That old barn lumber can now provide enjoyment and conversation for many years.

beenthere

MM
That is a lot to be proud of, for sure. You have to feel real good seeing that picture and having a new friend.
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Yes, very much so.  I was also happy that it became a "whole family" thing.  If I ever make it back to Mn., I hope to "share a cup" with my new friends.   food3

jamesamd

Most excellent,MM.
My first chance to read this,from start to finish.
You have touched that family in a magical way.
Touched Me as well!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!