iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leigh jig offset problem

Started by Dan_Shade, January 26, 2014, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Do any of you guys use a Leigh jig?

I'm having an alignment issue in the corners.  The boards are slightly offset going around the drawer.  I'm not real sure why it's doing it, or what to do to fix it.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

First question I'd wonder about, is the lapsed time between surfacing the sides, using the jig, and 3rd the time 'till the alignment issue showed up.

Air dried or kiln dried boards?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

this was some scrap wood, white oak.

they were planed to 3/4 earlier and leaning against the wall in the shop.

this afternoon, I flattened them with my drum sander, then decided they were still to thick, so I ran them through the planer, then ran the boards through the drum sander again.  I didn't check flatness, but the boards generally come out pretty flat from the sander.

elapsed time from running through the sander to making the box is about 3 hours

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Morewood

Make sure that you place all boards face out or all in . read the manual.
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

Dan_Shade

I've got that down.

tails - the inside goes out
pins - the inside goes in

WDH

Are you sure that the boards are solidly up against the stop on the left side of the jig?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

Quote from: WDH on January 26, 2014, 09:31:52 PM
Are you sure that the boards are solidly up against the stop on the left side of the jig?
And squared up? 

The only other thing I can think of is if that first finger were not tight and moved back and forth a little as the jig was flipped.

I've got a Leigh and have not experienced this problem.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Dan_Shade

the boards were I think that I will take the jig apart, and check the bar and compare fingers.  something could be bent.

WDH

You can definitely figure this out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

yeah.  I dropped Leigh tech support a note earlier tonight.  I'll keep everybody posted.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 26, 2014, 06:54:53 PM
.........what to do to fix it.

Probably some 120 sandpaper on a flat block.    ;D    :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

Dan_Shade

the tech recommended to repeat setup steps 1-6 through 1-10 in the manual.

Dave, I keep my sandpaper in the  outhouse...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 30, 2014, 09:22:29 PM

Dave, I keep my sandpaper in the  outhouse...

You tougher than I am.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I guess that after a while, you might get used to it  :-\.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 30, 2014, 10:06:43 PM
I guess that after a while, you might get used to it  :-\.

80 grit?  :D :D :D I don't think so.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'd take my chances using a hand planer.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

I wouldn't know, I don't use the outhouse, its for visitors....

DR_Buck

Well if a thread don't turn to grits it will go to the toilet.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

OneWithWood

Don't grits general lead to the toilet?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom King

Once you have the backup board in place in the top, put the first board vertically in it, and make sure it aligns perfectly with one edge of the backer board.  Never take both boards out at the same time. If you are going to use a different backer for the pins, leave the tails board in place, and set the new backer by that.

To start with, adjust the stops so that two uncut boards will meet exactly on both ends of the gauge.  The nut on the bolts holding the clamp bars on also hold the stops in place, and allow a little adjustment.  If you cut tails first, it won't leave an edge to meet the edge on the backer board, and you will have to rely on the stops.

Once you have everything set right, the next easy way to really speed up using it, is to have two dedicated routers with the two bits.  Since, like me, you probably only have one of the Leigh bushings, and 8mm collett adaptor, I found that a regular bushing, and a 1/4" bit work just fine for the straight cutter.

I can pull the jig out, and the routers out of their toolbox, set the pins where I want them, and dovetail a box in a few minutes....as long as I stick to 3/4" boards.

Dan_Shade

Tom you lost me with your second paragraph.  what do you mean by "stops" and what "guage" are you referring to? 

Dan_Shade

ok, I've learned a few things while chasing this down.

1. using two different routers can cause this problem due to the concentricity of the bit to the bushing, using one router negates this potential problem.

2. not having the board lined up properly with the stops can cause this.

3. I bought a good straight edge (ouch) from Lee Valley, and determined that the 1/4 x 1" beam was bent on my jig.  I ordered a replacement and this helped quite a bit.

I also learned that using a straight bit to hog out most of the waste makes half blind dovetails go a bit smoother. 

I'll continue posting if I figure anything else out.

Thank You Sponsors!