iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5x2 = 8

Started by tule peak timber, April 16, 2014, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

pics attached of a few pieces shipped today. Last year a customer brought me a single 5 foot long coastal live oak log and from this single log I built him an 8 foot dining table , a vanity top, a series of benches and a few other things. The benches and table legs are finished in hard wax oil , while the two tops are conversion varnish rubbed to 2000 grit. Edges are both hewn and carved to look like continuous natural edge all the way around the pieces.... Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mike047

mike

WmFritz

Love the grain in the varnished tabletop.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Lud

Grand stuff and fine scale. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Mooseherder

Very Nice work Rob. :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Amazing work. Love that table top. How did you fasten the 2 slabs together?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WmFritz

Quote from: 21incher on April 17, 2014, 07:12:28 PM
Amazing work. Love that table top. How did you fasten the 2 slabs together?

Board Stretcher!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

tule peak timber

Thank you everyone for the kind words . The two 5 foot slabs were equally cut cut back , machined very square ,backed a 1/2 degree, and double mortised . I used some vertical grain doug fir as a large floating tenon , secured with epoxy. The joint itself , I then hand carved any differences across the joint, to complete an almost perfect mirror image. The actual joint over 43 inches wide maintains a steady 5-7 thousands reveal...very hard to see. Thanks for asking ! I just completed another job three weeks ago stitching together about 100 lineal of big natural edged bartop the same way in the winery I'm completing. the owners were jaw dropped.... Rob

tule peak timber

Wm Fritz, as far as stretching boards, in the same winery project I produced 390 lineal feet of

8x12 box beams from the same tree, only using about 1/3 of the tree...Thats really stretching it >LOL

WDH

What did you use to repair/fill the splits and cracks in the table top?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

You are a very creative craftsman.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

WDH, epoxy with a variety of different fillers. Magicman , thanks  :)

WDH

What is the best filler for big cracks?  I assume that the epoxy is laid on last after the filler has filled most of the crack ?

jamesamd

Great craftmanship,Rob!
Very SWEET ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

pep

Rob, awesome  job.  Do you use any Smith's Epoxy Products like cpes( clear  penetrating epoxy)

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

tule peak timber

PEP and WDH ,I do use several of the Smith products , and like them. You need to heed the warning on the CPS to allow for adequate out-gassing of the solvent before additional steps. Fillers to me are wood flour, pigments, sawdust , wood shavings, atomized metals , ground minerals, etc, etc. The epoxy itself is the filler or binder for the entire wood slab and the added fillers are used to achieve the effects desired -like bark or natural edge or flaw blending. My epoxy is IN the wood , not on the wood as a coating with the exception of certain commercial bartops and tables. Lots of different epoxys around, each has different working characteristics , and they yield slightly different outcomes.Thanks for the comments.  Rob

pine

Very nice workmanship

mesquite buckeye

I approve. smiley_smug01

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

scsmith42

Rob, I love your posts!  You have a great balance of artistry and craftsmanship that is inspiring.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

SC, Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy participating in this site and using this forum as a knowledge base to better my business. Several folks here have been really helpful with my questions about equipment purchases. If I can return the favor with some of my knowledge on other subjects I would be happy to.  Cheers  Rob

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!