iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got my Cedar Bed made

Started by ozarkgem, May 13, 2014, 08:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I make a few of these and sell them and I didn't have one for me. People would come through my cabin and comment that I made beds but didn't have one for myself. So I made one this week. The one pics didn't turn out so well.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

woody329

Very nice, cedar is my favorite wood to build with.

WDH

Those bucket feet are an unusual design element.... ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on May 13, 2014, 09:06:44 PM
isawlog is building one too.
I had some bigger poles picked out to use but the bed would have been so big It would have taken 1 1/2 ft out of my bedroom. Since it is so small anyway I went with smaller post.

yukon cornelius

you also would have had to use barrel feet also :D  that bed is fantastic!! beds for the wife and i, and our 2 boys, is on my list also. probably after stairs and upstairs walls. our boys have one of those fancy laminated pine beds (a stack of plywood under a mattress). you know how it is,  carpenters house is never done, a mechanics car is always broke, hvac guy has broken furnace or ac.... I do all kinds of crap so all those fit me....I need to stick to just one thing maybe.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

LeeB

What are the side rails made from? Looks like cedar poles. Is there any addtional support for the matress/box spring?

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ozarkgem

Quote from: LeeB on May 14, 2014, 04:06:00 AM
What are the side rails made from? Looks like cedar poles. Is there any addtional support for the matress/box spring?
I used cedar poles and sawed a 90 deg notch in them to accept the slats. The notch was free hand and didn't come out like I wanted it to. But its my bed and no one will see it. I wouldn't sell one like that. I will do something different next time or figure out some sort of jig to make the notch with. I usually use angle iron with a bracket and lag screws with makes it rock solid.

Magicman

You could also add angle iron inside of your notched pole to add strength.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

what is the wood that you used in the top of the headboard, cedar?.. they look long like vines.
also what is the name of that machine standing next to the bed?. I am assuming you use it to bore the holes for the tenons.
very nice bed by the way.

ozarkgem

Quote from: ely on May 14, 2014, 09:18:20 AM
what is the wood that you used in the top of the headboard, cedar?.. they look long like vines.
also what is the name of that machine standing next to the bed?. I am assuming you use it to bore the holes for the tenons.
very nice bed by the way.
That is a old Barnes drill press. It has a long stroke on the quill. I bought it for the purpose of making log furniture with it. Its a real hunk of cast iron. The branches are Cedar. Anytime I see weird branches and limbs when I am logging I cut them and throw them in the truck. I always find a use for them. I

ozarkgem

Quote from: Magicman on May 14, 2014, 08:01:44 AM
You could also add angle iron inside of your notched pole to add strength.
I think they are plenty strong I just didn't get the notch right. I will put it up this weekend. I drilled holes and used Kreg screws to suck the tenon up tight. We will see if the bed has any movement. That is if I can find someone to help me make it move. ;)

jamesamd

QuoteThat is if I can find someone to help me make it move. ;)

Ya,good luck with that ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!