iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spoiled Dogs

Started by AlpineCutter, July 13, 2018, 08:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlpineCutter

I am in the process of building a "mansion" for my dogs. The frame work is from lodgepole pine I fell on my property and ponderosa pine. The frame work is 4x4's and the floor, roof and walls are 8/4 boards, the batten is 4/4 boards. This thing will be indestructible and will probably outlive my house.

Magicman

So you have officially gone to the dogs 🐕!! :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AlpineCutter

Exactly, I was at least smart enough and think ahead and build it large enough for me to get into on those nights when I'm not allowed in the house.  no_no

WV Sawmiller

Good looking home for your faithful friends.

I once had a big Black and Tan Coonhound named Big Mama. I went to build her a custom dog house from some western cedar I had obtained. I carefully measured her and made sure every dimension was about 2" longer, taller and wider thinking she could then get in and stretch out. When finished I put it in her dog yard and proudly watched as she stepped in then she immediately curled up and used just half of the dog house. That was when I learned dogs typically sleep curled up rather than stretched out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

AlpineCutter

That's funny WV!! I also carefully measured my biggest dog, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever, so he would have enough head room. I forgot to factor in the 2 inch thick floor boars I added and the same for the ceiling. He can still get in but has to duck a little. I'm not finished yet. The back 1/3rd of it is getting a front wall with a small door to keep heat in the winter. The front 2/3rds will be what you see, a kind of covered porch for them to just hang out and bark at the rabbits.

DaveinNH

"
You went and got yourself a cement head" That's what our vet said years ago when we took our German Shorthair Pointer rescue to him for the first time. He had owned several of the breed and it turned out he was not that far off. Max was a very handsome and loyal dog but he was not going to win any prizes for smarts. He was a great dog. Our first dog was a Chessie we had from a pup. Another good dog, but not the best choice for your first dog together. Seeing both of yours there brought back memories of both of them long gone. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

hopm

Put dividers....you can make them removeable....your dawgs will appreciate the small space when the temp drops....they become their own heat pump....
Should have looked a little closer through the rest of the post. You got the plans to take care of warm in the cold temps. Sorry for jumping the gun. 

barbender

Nice job! Nice looking dogs, too👍 Dave, I'd have to agree on the "cementhead" comment. I've had two lab/shorthair crosses, they are not the brightest bulbs😂
Too many irons in the fire

bandmiller2

Dogs and cats are den animals and feel secure in confined spaces. Also den animals are the only ones that can be house broken. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AlpineCutter

Hey DaveinNH and barbender, calling someone's dog a "cement head" is almost like calling his wife ugly. I think the intelligence of a dog is all in how you train them, I've yet to have a dumb dog with any hunting breed or working breed.

DaveinNH

Just for the record I was referring to the rescue I had, and the rescues my vet had. No one else's.
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

SineWave

Quote from: hopm on July 13, 2018, 11:27:26 PM
Put dividers....you can make them removeable....your dawgs will appreciate the small space when the temp drops....they become their own heat pump....
+1
I've built a few dog houses, and usually made the sleeping area just big enough for the dog to turn around and stand up in. Also a baffle/curtain wall inside can help keep the wind off them. They don't put out much heat. And they like small hideyholes.

It's funny when we put straw into the houses for the dogs when it starts getting cold...they get so excited over that!

My brother built a great big dog house for his Lab, but she wouldn't even use it. Probably like trying to stay warm in a barn instead of a phone booth...

Nice-looking dogs, BTW, especially that GSP. I run pointers. 

AlpineCutter

Thanks SineWave. The actual dog house part of this contraption is 25 inches high and 36 inches wide by 7 feet long so i can install a wind baffle in it. It is also fully insulated. My next step is to build the wall that will have the dog door and finish the interior walls. The front 4 feet is all just a covered area to get out of the sun in the summer and stretch out.

Thank You Sponsors!