iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

East Texas timeber selling

Started by GraceNmercy, August 01, 2012, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraceNmercy

I posted a a subject about trying to sell some timber on a small place in Frankston, TX for my 92 year old great uncle. He lives on about 40 acres (7 deeded to a niece) that is pasture with several decent areas of forest cover.

There is a lot of pulp wood, but some tree stands of trees between perhaps 20-80 years old. There are also several areas that have a vew very old trees like in the 100-200 yo range. He wants to sell off most of the pines to have pay to have some work done on his house which is well over 100 y/o as it was his mothers home.

Most of the larger mills won't come out because they would need at least 30 truck loads of timber. We're trying to keep most of the oaks as we also hunt the place, but he may let one or two of the old one go, but we are really trying to get a bit of guidance as how to go about this and who to sell it to.

I met a former forester who replied to my origional post, but i'm waiting for his reply to see if he will be able to help us further with the matter. I would like to find someone close by who knows their stuff that could perhaps take a look at the place and tell us what we're working with. Any input or help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the origional post:   http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3416272/Selling_Timber_in_east_TX_and_#Post3416272

Texas Ranger

I am too far south to assist  you.  However, there are a number of foresters that can be contacted and would be happy to talk/work with you. 

The Texas Forest Service has a professional list for landowners at:  http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/uploadedFiles/FRD/referral.pdf

Any one randomly approaching you is not going to give you the best price.  Even in a bid situation it is common practice to reserve ten per cent of the bid to cover errors and weather. 

I will be happy to discuss all this with you, but, you need to acquire a forester in the area.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

GraceNmercy

Thanks a lot! Still working on it. I'll keep you posted and get with ya for any questions....

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, GraceNmercy. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Texas Ranger

Oh, yes, sorry, welcome to the forum,  why not fill out some/all your profile so we know a bit about you?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!