iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

There are two or three areas of concern for rust. First and worst is the "mouse house". Its the inside upper cowl and roof assembly that houses the windshield hinges and windshield wiper motors and controls. I cut the cowl off and repaired it, I now have to cut out a portion of the upper roof where the cowl pinch welds to it and put in a patch panel. This I'm scared to do, as if I fail, I'd have to get someone to fix my screw up. Still up in the air on if I will try. Here is a photo of the area before I started and a picture of my repaired cowl and patch panel ready to go back in.

The other significant area of rust was where the running boards met the fenders. There is a chink of welded on fender there, on both sides that will need to be replaced. I'd have a hard time screwing that up, because once the running boards ae on, that isn't even visible, so bubble gum welds will be outta sight. :)
Picture of this area also shows the cab edge below the door. Solid. Only surface rust.

I noticed early on one of the headline cans was loose. Last week I decided to take them off. I found one side was welded on. I cut the welds and found out why it was  welded on. The bottom was gone!  I have to repair some torn out mounting holes in the fenders. No real rust issue there. Here is a picture of the fender area I need to repair and a picture of the rusted out can, and the extras that came with the truck. They are shaped the same but mount different. They must of come off a military vehicle. 24 volts lamps and no adjusters in the lamp.

Here are some pics of the cab floor inside and underneath and one of the back where I had one small rust issue that I cut out and repaired.

Under the cab

Here is a photo of the hood latches.

And the hood ornament.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

You been busy  :).  I still think you need to build a camper for the back and head this way though  ;)

Farmerjw

A 6 volt really drags when trying to start a hot engine.  Dad always put an 8 volt battery in his '41 Packard.  Don't have to change any ballast or resistors, gives it a little more punch when hitting the starter.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

bigred1951

Been meaning to ask not sure if been said. But is it suppose to be a dually it looked like bud wheels also what are you gonna do for a bed. A nice flatbed or pickup box.

Jeff

It definitely was a dually. I don't know what to do about the bed.  Finding one could be very very hard. Id rather have a pickup box, but that adds a bunch of other elements like longer running boards. No bed for now and eventually, one of the voices in my head should guide me to what it should be.  :D

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
There are two or three areas of concern for rust.

[snip]

Aw, man, I didn't see any of that before. That thing is just gonna break your heart. It's a basket case. Just close the doors and try not to let it get you down. I'll mosey by on Saturday on my way to the hardware store and take the old rusty relic out and dispose of it properly.

Bein' as how it's you, I won't even charge you a haul bill.

Better keep an eye on that hood ornament. I've read tales of a goat napping around here somewhere.
Find something to do that interests you.

bigred1951

Get a modern dually 8 lug rear and put in it. Probably get a little more speed and easier to replace parts and wheels. But make sure it's a cab and chassis rear not one that had the pickup bed with fenders. The cab and chassis axle is more narrow

Jeff

Sounds easy until you know that driveshaft is unique, so it has to be customized, the single line master cylinder would need to be upgraded to a hanging peddle system that is quite expensive.Probably any other rear end will still need to have spring mounts and such reworked.  I think if I was going to do something like that in the future, it would be an entire chassis and power plant swap.

bigred1951

I almost bought a 51 ford one time. The guy had put ton 4x4 axles under it on the factory 51 springs where it had the leaf spring straight axle. It had the original pedals still in the floor. He got a dual res master cylinder that bolted right up and still used the factory set up. It had the drum in back and disc up front.

sandhills

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2017, 10:27:47 AM
It definitely was a dually. I don't know what to do about the bed.  Finding one could be very very hard. Id rather have a pickup box, but that adds a bunch of other elements like longer running boards. No bed for now and eventually, one of the voices in my head should guide me to what it should be.  :D
Jeff, really???  CAMPER!  (this would be the voice inside your head)  :D :D

grouch

Uh-oh.

Mopar Disc Brakes

Rustyhope disc brake kits are priced at $215 for Dodge Truck and Mopar cars with four hole spindles, and for Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, and DeSoto cars with standard diameter three hole spindles.  Kits for pre- 35 spindles are $245.  Kits for all cars and trucks with undersized spindles are $315. Shop labor to drill and tap your spindles is $115, spindle turning is $150. All prices quoted include shipping to US addresses.  International shipping is higher, inquire to olddaddy@rustyhope.com for shipping quotes outside the US.

The standard kits fit a variety of years, makes, and models of Mopar vehicles. Virtually all Dodge/Plymouth/Fargo trucks and Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, and DeSoto cars, from 1929 through roughly 1960 can be converted to disc brakes using one of my kits.

[...]

Jeff

None of that fits this truck.

grouch

Your spindles are bigger, right?

bigred1951

Does it have the straight axle leaf spring front suspension

Jeff

Quote from: bigred1951 on May 17, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
Yes. This is a 46 wd21 1 ton. I am told  the front end on this truck in 1946 and 47 were unique to this truck..

bigred1951

If it was mine I would be looking for either a dodge or Chevy 3/4 to ton 4x4 and use the axles motor trans and transfer case. Might have to cut and move the spring purches on the axles and use the dodge springs. But that's me to each their own.

Corley5

I've been switching old tractors over to this http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx as points are needed.  I won't buy points and condensers again.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

My goal was to have an old truck that I could drive up town without worrying about it raining on it or having to polish it. Something that shows its history. Maybe sme day my goals will change, but for now, I just want the old truck to run and drive and most importantly, STOP! :D

Jeff

Corley, On the 39-48 plymouth dodge desoto facebook group, the talk is they do not make a kit for our trucks yet.

red

www.ricksontruckwheels.com makes 19.5 wheels for lifted trucks , some even use tractor trailer tires. They are also $$$ , but nice on the right  truck.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Corley5

Call them @ 909 547 9058 with the # on the tag of the distributor.

Corley5

They're in California so they're still open ;D :)

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2017, 05:39:35 PM
Quote from: bigred1951 on May 17, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
Yes. This is a 46 wd21 1 ton. I am told  the front end on this truck in 1946 and 47 were unique to this truck..

Everything I have been finding says the 1 ton had a bigger engine but the front spindles were the same as the 1/2 and 3/4. Can you pull a hub and put a micrometer to the spindle?

Even if that rustyhope kit won't fit, there's probably a disc in the salvage yard that will fit that truck. There is probably some Forestry Forum member who would recognize the measurements.

What's the track, measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? Knowing that would help find a donor truck to get front discs on there.

grouch

Quote from: Corley5 on May 17, 2017, 06:26:53 PM
I've been switching old tractors over to this http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx as points are needed.  I won't buy points and condensers again.

Do Pertronix still self-destruct when you leave the ignition on under "points open" condition?

When I was researching to convert my '68 Amazon, I read accounts of that and went with a Crane Fireball XR700.

Corley5

I've got them in three Farmalls two are 6V positive ground and one is a twelve volt negative conversion.  I've also done a 2010 JD.  It runs better than ever and did away with the consumption of points and plug fouling on #4. 
  I've never had to touch a Pertronix after they were installed.  The JD was done 8 years ago.  The Farmalls within the last five.  Two of the Farmalls and the JD are AC/Delco distributors.  The other Farmall has an IHC distributor.  The JD sees serious duty on a 7' finish mower throughout the season.

Thank You Sponsors!