iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cord of wood on a 1\2 ton

Started by Kwill, February 10, 2018, 08:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pclem

This came up awhile back on the forum. We have a 20% loss from logs to split, dried firewood. I remember a couple other guys had close to that too here. We do sell 1/3 {face cords here}. 3 of them being a full cord. We wouldn't have happy customers splitting a logger cord and selling as a full cord of split
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Kwill

Quote from: rank on February 12, 2018, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Kwill on February 12, 2018, 12:50:43 PM
A cord either way
But there isn't the same amount of wood in each is there.  Like the fellow mentioned above, a bush cord of 24" dia logs might not stack the same when split but it's still a cord
10 guys could stack either 20 times and the stacks won't match. Whether it's split or round when its stacked 4ft high 8ft long and 4 ft wide its a cord
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

jaygtree

i sell firewood by the face cord which is 4 feet high, 8 feet long and 16(or 17) inches wide. the same as one third cord. a face cord fills up my 81 chev 8 foot box level with the box with the tailgate closed.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Chop Shop

Buying a cord of wood in nov-feb is like buying a hotdog at the ballpark.    You waiting to eat/heat, now pay up.

The winter time buyer will buy year after year from bad wood sellers selling short cords of wet wood.   One GAYRUNTEE is that as long as there are bad CONSUMERS there will be bad PROVIDERS ready to take advantage of the situation.

Educated wood buyers buy in the summer time.  Prices are lower and you can often times haggle.  The wood will be properly seasoned on time. 

BAD CONSUMERS breed more bad providers.  (Edited by Admin) about the buyers if ya dont like seeing this "1/2 ton guy" making a buck all winter.

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

well i can tell you its not any cheaper around here in the summer  and why would i sell it cheaper in the summer  ??? ??? when i know darn well ill get my money out of it in the winter time

moodnacreek

It's closer to a full cord than many others.

samandothers

Quote from: Logger RK on February 11, 2018, 09:09:14 PM
Im betting that Chevy could still make it to The Levy

Only if the Levy was dry!

rank

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 13, 2018, 05:53:16 PM
Quote from: Corley5 on February 13, 2018, 03:54:29 PM
Caveat Emptor ;D ;) :)

What a novel idea :D ;)
exactly.  The only thing this thread has established is that nobody knows what a cord is.  If the buyer is happy paying $150 for that pickup load, it doesn't matter

coxy

Quote from: rank on February 12, 2018, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Kwill on February 12, 2018, 12:50:43 PM
A cord either way
But there isn't the same amount of wood in each is there.  Like the fellow mentioned above, a bush cord of 24" dia logs might not stack the same when split but it's still a cord
every cord of block wood i ever cut always split out more than a cord not much but more

Kwill

From the sounds of things I think some of these guys take a tape measure and micrometer to the wood with them when they cut wood
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

DR_Buck

Quote from: Andries on February 11, 2018, 02:32:31 PM
Under the heading of Truck Abuse . . .

This looks like some of the guys we've seen on I-66 hauling firewood into the Metro DC area.   Not a day went by that we didn't see 2 to 3 firewood or tree service guys way overloaded driving 65 mph in 4 and 5 lane bumper-to-bumper traffic.    I'm so glad we retired and moved out of that mess.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

coxy

Quote from: Kwill on February 13, 2018, 08:21:07 PM
From the sounds of things I think some of these guys take a tape measure and micrometer to the wood with them when they cut wood
:D my cousin has a guy that makes him pile every cord he brings he has his wall in the wood shed marked  but anyway the other day i went to help pile it when we where done there was about 15-20 pieces left on the truck and the guy goes aren't you going to put them in the  pile matt said no you want a cord and you make me pile it every time to make shur you don't get short changed  so I'm taking them home i don't want to get short changed the guy told him here is your money don't come back ill find some one else to get wood from  :D :D  the nerve of some people

Kwill

Quote from: coxy on February 13, 2018, 08:57:19 PM
Quote from: Kwill on February 13, 2018, 08:21:07 PM
:D my cousin has a guy that makes him pile every cord he brings he has his wall in the wood shed marked  but anyway the other day i went to help pile it when we where done there was about 15-20 pieces left on the truck and the guy goes aren't you going to put them in the  pile matt said no you want a cord and you make me pile it every time to make shur you don't get short changed  so I'm taking them home i don't want to get short changed the guy told him here is your money don't come back ill find some one else to get wood from  :D :D  the nerve of some people
I would thrown the money back at him and loaded the wood up and left
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Logger RK

And there was a little Whiskey & Rye involved

Raider Bill

A cord of wood to most people is really only a face cord or rick.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bodagocreek2

second what Coxy said, almost always more when split

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

John Mc

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on February 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM

That's been my experience as well. (assuming you are talking about 16" long rounds vs 16" long split wood.) The air spaces may be bigger between the rounds, but there are a lot more of them when it's split. As a friend of mine once said: I can't stack 'em as tight as nature did.

The smallest difference is when I am splitting a cord of some nice straight logs with nice straight grain - like white ash. When I split and stack that, it comes out fairly close to the dimensions of the stack I had before splitting (If I stack very carefully - which I don't usually do.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on February 14, 2018, 06:38:33 PM
That hasn't been my experience.

I've always found it goes either way, by at least a heavy wheel barrow load. And the wheel barrel I use holds a lot of wood. The loads of split wood I have bought come loose thrown from a processor. Unless one is always deliberately over throwing the load, which I doubt very much, it varies from one side of the cord to the other. But then, if you charge enough being over a little now and again covers the loss. There's no one giving freebies, and I don't blame them. If it makes the customer feel good the day goes much better and great for advertising. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: John Mc on February 14, 2018, 08:12:25 PM
Quote from: bodagocreek2 on February 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM

That's been my experience as well. (assuming you are talking about 16" long rounds vs 16" long split wood.) The air spaces may be bigger between the rounds, but there are a lot more of them when it's split. As a friend of mine once said: I can't stack 'em as tight as nature did.

The smallest difference is when I am splitting a cord of some nice straight logs with nice straight grain - like white ash. When I split and stack that, it comes out fairly close to the dimensions of the stack I had before splitting (If I stack very carefully - which I don't usually do.)

You have not bought 8' and treelength firewood logs then. ;D  DNR always scaled these piles roadside averaging depth and length, as I suspect many do. The loader on the truck always tries to stack the load as tight as he can going to a mill, to get the maximum tonnage per load. Stacked a lot nicer than sitting roadside in a pile.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Pclem

I assume you guys are cutting your 8' logs into 16" rounds, stacking them into 4'x8' piles, then splitting them and having no loss, [or more wood]. What was that 4x8 pile of rounds before you cut and stacked it? [In log form].  I've always kept track of the semi loads we pay for. I have to know what kind of profit I'm making off those logs after it's all said and done. I would be shocked if you said you bought a 12 cord load of logs and still had 12 cords of split, DRY firewood in the end. We notice alot of shrinkage in a few days drying in kilns. Like I said, we always end up with close to 20% loss in the end due to shrinkage, short ends, that knarly knot you can't split down, so it goes in the boiler pile....This is all nice wood cut 16" for fireplaces, and packaged wood. Maybe you'd throw in the short ends, and knarls for furnace wood and have less waste. I know if I'm buying a semi load to heat my home, I'm burning all of it. But if I'm selling that load to fireplace users, I'd better keep the non-sellable junk myself and keep my customers :)
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Corley5

I average 50 16" face cords per 20 pulp cord train load of hardwood pulp.  That's average.  If I get less than 47 I'm not real happy.  Less than 45 I call my supplier and let him know ;) ;D  100" saw bolts process the best.  Twenty cords of them will make better than 55 face cords.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!