iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Comparing the cost of wood heat to other energy sources

Started by gaproperty, February 24, 2018, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaproperty

This video shows the real numbers as it relates to comparing the cost of wood heat compared to other energy sources. It concisely compares various species of wood as well.  

Cost of wood heat compared to other energy sources.
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

york

Hi,i tried to watch the vid. but could not hear what he was saying....

I do not care if wood cost more and for me it does cost more,because i have a lot of money tied up in eqp.

It is all about lifestyle and it is a good lifestyle-anybody can walk across the room and turn up the thermostat...

Also when the power goes out,i have heat and am able to cook.....
Albert

DPatton

That's some interesting information. Thanks for posting it.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Kwill

In my situation it doesn't really cost me anything but my time and a little saw gas to cut wood. If I was burning propane or all electric and was broke I would freeze not being able to pay for the electric or propane. I can always go cut wood whether broke or not.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

TKehl

Yes, the equipment is expensive.  However, I have a farm and already need truck, saws, and trailers for other things.  

I'm happy to pay for a stove then pickup all the fuel for the cost of my labor and a couple gallons of gas a year.   Figure I save $200/month on utilities.  ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crhall

Every situation is different. Like TKehl, I already have all the equipment on the farm. Heck even a chain is a must for cleaning fence rows. My old farm house is very poorly insulated, tried to few things to help like adding new insulation and new windows. but its over a hundred years old, its drafty! I installed Geothermal around 8 years ago, I was getting $600-$800 a month bills just for the house! I could not keep writing that check to them, it hurt. So i added a 3500 sq ft shop, put in radiant heat and a wood burner, and tapped it into the house as well. My bills are now $200 a month. So i'm saving $400-$600 a month just on the house, plus added a building to it that is kept at 65*. so yeah its going to pay for itself.
Now that being said, IF I had brand new sealed up house, No way would i consider wood heat. I'd build it so it was sealed up and can heat it with a candle lol..I'd maybe have fireplace, but other than that, geothermal or gas all the way. A good friend just built a new one, a lot more sqft as mine, insulated the right way, During the coldest month, his geo bill went up $85 bucks, I wont cut wood for 85bucks, no way never
All situations are different my 2cents

Woodcutter_Mo

My electric bill is generally well below $100/mo and alot of people I know that have electric heat have $200-$300 electric bills in the winter. Like others have mentioned, the tools I use for firewood I have already. So by cutting my own firewood I don't have much money in it. Just time and some fuel.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

TKehl

Yeah, ours used to be $300-350 mid winter.  Now just over $100, but that includes the shop etc.

As a second point, those bills were for keeping the house 66-68°F.  My new temperature gauge when I'm home is if my wife isn't wearing a tank top, I add wood.  When she starts opening windows, I stop.   ;D  :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Roxie

Say when

Hilltop366

When cutting my own wood I like to think of it as money I didn't have to earn and pay taxes on to pay for my heat which can add considerably more to your savings depending on your tax rate.

mitchstockdale

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 26, 2018, 03:42:26 PM
When cutting my own wood I like to think of it as money I didn't have to earn and pay taxes on to pay for my heat which can add considerably more to your savings depending on your tax rate.
Hilltop, I couldn't agree more....this concept can be applied to just about everything not just cutting wood.  

Thank You Sponsors!