iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBQing a tick

Started by thecfarm, May 20, 2018, 06:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

First cookout of the year and I looked down on my wrist and saw a tick.
 Ayup,BBGed him right than and there. ;)  He won't be bothering no one again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Do ya mean dat ya didn't even skin it first??  :o  I would hate to think that I got tick hair between my teeth!!   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

5 more and you would have had a mess.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Yea I know,I was thinking about deep frying it,dip it chocolate, maybe fry it in butter,but than I dropped it in the coals. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Have they been terrible everywhere else this year too?  This is worst season ive ever seen.  Had 6 in me yesterday and i didnt even go in the woods.  Avg day with me, kids and dog is grabbing and halving 15+
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I had no ticks here 5 years ago. Or never found any on me.Seem like we found no more than 10 on us this time of year,than the rest we find none. I hope this year will turn out the same way.

sprucebunny

I think they are bad this year. I've caught 4. Three different kinds !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Peter Drouin

Not bad here cfarm, I'm sure we have some around.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

Wife had one running up her arm 2 weeks ago and i had one embedded in my right thigh last week.
I usually check myself pretty good when showering at the end of the day, but didnt discover this bugger until I was in my hot tub.
Got antibiotic from the doc.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

So you rubbed antibiotic on the tick to keep it from getting sick??    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Try alcohol.  Gets em drunk enough to fall out of their chair.  Acetone and ether work pretty good too.

The tick tornado little remover tool is a miracle. Spins em right out intact every time.  The trick is knowing that our ticks are SAE left hand, fine thread.  And dont overtorque em.
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

there were times in my younger days when any bug that bit me could be in trouble due to my blood alcohol content but not so much anymore,
Antibiotic wouldnt have helped.
We have a little tool called ticked off that works really well, but is always out of reach when I decide to remove them,
I use my thumb and index finger tweezers on em and havent had a problem getting the head out so far.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

rjwoelk

I got some permethrin from cabalas. Damped the pant legs waist band outside only. The shirt as well. Boots.
Let dry over night.
Well wearing them the next day spotted a tick in the grass.
Let him crawl on my finger and he made a beeline up my bare arm.
Removed him to my pant leg
He traveled about 3 to 4 inches and fell off craweled around for 5 seconds then was dead.
This stuff is 2200 times more deadly to ticks then humans.
If it gets on your skin your body destroys it.
This is the same ingredient as in the chrosynthomom plant.
Also one spraying of the clothes is good for 5 to 6 washings. It adheres to the cloth. Do not use were cats are apparently it will kill them for some reason so i read. You only apply to clothing 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

james

Sweet Baby Rays?
local BBQ sauce?
inquiring minds want to know ??? ???
james

thecfarm

Well of course Sweet Baby Ray's. :D  :D

PineNut

I use permethrin also. It is also available from Walmart in a 0.5% working solution. Believe I got mine from Amazon. A 32 oz bottle of 36% cost about $25. After diluting it to 0.5%, it makes almost 20 gallons of working solution.  Permethrin is readily available from many sources. From what I hear, it is only dangerous to cats when it is wet. After it is dry, there is no problem.  

ToddsPoint

I've not seen a tick this year.  I've been in the woods too.  We had some really cold, sub-zero weather for about a week last winter and everyone around here thinks that zapped them.  Last year they were thick.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Chuck White

That's what I was thinking last Fall!

If we were to have a "cold spell" during the Winter, with bare ground (the snow is an insulator), it should destroy a lot of the tick population!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

This hopefully links or displays the image of that tick tornado thingy.  My wife would buy all that other junk and id toss it.

https://goo.gl/images/2TCTWK

Youre trying to get them out intact, not rip it out.  Well, on me or the dog id just grab and snatch but the kids will not hold still for any pinch or pain so thats always been a wrestling match.

Ticks come out painlessly when spun counter clockwise.  Its hard to go 3 spins with tweezers.  I usually used a set of forceps i ground down but on a fat tick its like injecting a ketchup packet.  

Put premethrin on cotton balls and stick them in paper towel and toilet paper rolls near any mouse droppings you see.  Theyll bring the cotton ball into the den and itll kill all the ticks that ever catch a ride on it.  A tick has to feed on a mouse then you to give lymes, RMSF etc. The more mice you kill the safer your family is.
Praise The Lord

21incher

Rember that the FDA guidelines say to cook them to 180 degree internal temp for safe eating. ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on May 22, 2018, 07:10:32 PM
Rember that the FDA guidelines say to cook them to 180 degree internal temp for safe eating. ;D ;D
I wanna see you stick a 21 inch thermomator in a tick and check his temperature.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Well at least they are using Sweet Baby Rays.  ;D

Dem Glaciated guys amaze me with what they eat and don't eat.  ::)

cbla

lots of ticks here now and this year has been a bumper crop. Lyme disease has been on the incline in Nova Scotia at a alarming rate.

Thank You Sponsors!