iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

QuoteAn 873 is a serious machine. For 1500.00, that is like stealing. Some would pay more than that for an 873 carcass ;D

But I'm kinda disappointed that it's not a kubota engine.
It has a Deutz in it. Are they any good?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Terrible. I will come pick it up and relieve you of any agony :)

Kbeitz

I did find this today. I was told it runs good. They said it was
brought in because it was to small. 4000 watts.
It did not feel small when I loaded it in the back of my Jeep.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

That Onan was probably out of a motor home .Although most of them had a 7500 watt unit .

Kbeitz

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 12, 2018, 05:21:12 PM
That Onan was probably out of a motor home .Although most of them had a 7500 watt unit .

I had two others that came out of a motor home that was 4000 watt.
I would think it would depend on the size of the camper.
What I like is that these are low RPM engines that last forever.
I wish I knew the HP of the engine. It's not marked anywhere.
I bet it might make a good mill engine.

Edit....

Google says it's a  9.5 HP. Displacement, 304 cc
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Hilltop366

Maybe you could leave your new skid steer at the junkyard for loading!

starmac

I had a 40 foot fifth wheel with a 4000 onan, didn't even realize they used 7500 watt ones in rv's.
I forget just what it was about it, but I pilled apart a smaller onan generator and the engine was pretty much especially built for that purpose, not suitable to use on anything else.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

paul case

I blew up the motor on my dads lincoln welder and found that it had a tapered shaft. Only the same motor would fit back. I never ran onto another one and it is still in parts out in the barn. Very disappointing.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Don't give up on the tapered shaft engines. Cut the armature off
the generator next to the windings. Slide the sawed off chunk
back on the tapered end of the engine. But a bolt through the
hollow shaft and bolt it tight. Now you have a normal engine.
I've done this many times.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 12, 2018, 04:07:44 PM
I did find this today. I was told it runs good. They said it was
brought in because it was to small. 4000 watts.
It did not feel small when I loaded it in the back of my Jeep.

I have one of these!  Came out of a motorhome, and is 4,000 watt and runs at 1,800 RPM!

Only issue I have is I need a coil for it!  It takes what is referred to as a double coil!

Seemed to run forever on 5 gallons of gas!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

I have one of these!  Came out of a motorhome, and is 4,000 watt and runs at 1,800 RPM!

Only issue I have is I need a coil for it!  It takes what is referred to as a double coil!

Seemed to run forever on 5 gallons of gas!

The coils are on E-bay often.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

The 4kw onanas were used on motor homes that had only 1 rooftop air conditioner. The coils are unique, but can be had. They fire both plugs at the same time..A clutch off of a golf cart will fit the tapered crankshaft with a little lapping.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

Same coil as a Harley Davidson ,cheaper .

Al_Smith

My parents had a 7500 Onan with a 3 cylinder Yanmar water cooled diesel on a motor home ..It would not carry the load until it reached operating temperature nor shut down until it cooled  below a certain temp .Very well designed .Glow plugs, it probably would have started on the North pole .
Being a 4 pole generator running at 1800 it's probably a 16 or 18 HP engine .Should be able to tell from the engine name plate by referencing the model number .
We had a little Miller welder generator with a pancake Onan .3600 RPM  for welding which was about 5 quarts of gas per hour .1800 for generation which I have no idea but it went a long time .It was an 18 HP if memory serves .,5,000 watt .

Percy

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 12, 2018, 04:04:05 PM

An 873 is a serious machine. For 1500.00, that is like stealing. Some would pay more than that for an 873 carcass ;D
[/quote]

But I'm kinda disappointed that it's not a kubota engine.
It has a Deutz in it. Are they any good?
[/quote]

One of our A300 Bobcats has a Deutz in it. Great engine. No antifreeze. Just oil and air for cooling. Always starts. Stingy on fuel too.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

No antifreeze ? Wow. New one on me ... Thanks.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

Yeah those Duetz engines are air cooled. They have a screen on them that needs to be kept clean, at least the tractor engines do.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kwill

My neighbors have a duetz  tractor. Its really good on fuel and has been a really good tractor. Always starts even when the big JD won't .
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Banjo picker

Kbeitz there should be some kind of alarm to let you know if the belt breaks or comes off.  That or some kind of tattle tale switch to shut it off should that happen.  Without the fan turning the motor will be toast pretty quick.  Use to have a couple Liebherr 921 trackhoes.  They had the air cooled Deutz,  My ex partners little brother got one of them too hot....not good.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kbeitz

Looks like I'll have a lot of new to learn...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Nice engines, we swapped one out a month or so ago, figure the original one was over 40 years of hard service old;
Opinions on Deutz engines??? in Forestry and Logging - Page 2 of 3

Good idea Banjo, maybe something like a tensioner type wheel riding the belt, when it drops in a switch to a dash light closes.

pinefeller

oil cooled  ;) mine has 10k hrs and burns no oil and the oil is still clean at 200hrs after an oil change.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Kbeitz

Quote from: pinefeller on February 13, 2018, 08:08:40 PM
oil cooled  ;) mine has 10k hrs and burns no oil and the oil is still clean at 200hrs after an oil change.

Share what kind of oil you use....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pinefeller

i was actually giong to call the guy that did it last and see what he used, its due again. i was told this phenomenon has to do with being oil cooled instead of antifreeze and not being turbo charged. im pretty shure he said texas refinery so it should be rotella t (i believe shell is owned by T R. im used to losing a half gallon or so between changes in pretty much all large equipment ive maintained and black oil by 200hrs. this engine has been unbelieveable, no leaks, no burning, good power and pretty quiet.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Kbeitz

That would be great. Rotella is what I use in everything I have except
my cycle.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!