iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kinetic splitter

Started by lirachamo51, March 14, 2017, 08:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirachamo51

I'm in the market for a kinetic splitter and have narrowed my choices to 2 the split second and super split,I'm leaning towards the split second for these reasons, wider stance, adjustable table height , road towable (only 45 mph). I like the 1 hand operation of the super split and the proven durability ! i know the split second is fairly new to the market 2014. if anyone has any up to date info on the split second's durability it would be appreciated !
Randy

47sawdust

I would not consider anything but a Super splitter,even if you paid me.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

BBTom

I have had great luck with a kinetic splitter that I purchased from an Amish machine shop.  So I know they can be made with the right equipment. 

If you were closer to Ohio, I would tell you where you could get one for $2500.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

jwade

i hae had a DR kinetic splitter for four years. between myself and church charity splitting i conservitively estimate over 60 cords split, knock on wood i only have replaced the drive belts once. evigently when they first came out the quality control on on them. i think they were telling people to run them dry. but i grease mine about  every cord. very happy with mine

Pclem

I've had a super split for 3 or 4 years, and I'm not very happy with it. I know alot of you will disagree with me. The first thing that bugs me is the small roller bearing they have that rides on top of the beam. When you split in the winter, the bearing gets gummed up, and will freeze overnight. Next morning, you have to replace it with a thawed bearing. this only takes 5 minutes, but I just believe it's a poor design. Next thing is the return springs are constantly breaking, and it's NOT fun replacing/repairing them. I've replaced the springs twice, and repaired them a dozen times so far. I've bought a half dozen bearings so far also. It is a fast splitter for the money, but I'd be curious what the other manufacturers have to address these issues
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Bert

For what its worth... I bought the new Oregon kinetic splitter that came out last fall. So far so good. Roughly 20 cords through it. You can bungee cord the safety to use 1 hand.
Saw you tomorrow!

lirachamo51

thanks to the owners of the kinetic log splitters that have replied to me! I talked to super split and voiced some of my concerns. Next is calling split second, 1 issue of concern is subaru engine, i just learned subaru will no longer be making small engines (bought out by yamaha), so what engines will they be using? service is another ,if major issue arises mid west is a long way from adk's in ny. Please keep the comments coming, thanks again.
Randy

47sawdust

My SuperSplit came with a Robin/Subaru and has been trouble free for 5 years,50 cord.You do have a choice of engines from SS.As for parts I haven't needed any.They have been in business a long time and seem to be a committed family operation.You also don't have to use 2 hands to engage the ram.Paul has always been very responsive when ever I have contacted them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Pclem

I also have the subaru engine. It's been good for us. We put around 100cords a year through our machine, just to put things in perspective. If you're buying a splitter for home heating, and a little bit of firewood sales, It'll last much longer obviously. I agree with 47 sawdust, Paul at SS is very good at customer service, and parts. There used to be an option to upgrade to a honda motor as well.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Bruno of NH

I think subaru parts will be available for ten years
i read that some place as i have some of their motors on things
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lirachamo51

thanks for the replies kinetic owners, i pulled the trigger and ordered the split second today ! got the complete bundle. went with the split second because i wanted the adjustable height , retractable tow hitch, wider base ,log lift, outriggers ,tool tray and cover and decided to take a gamble on the durability the super split is known for ! I'll let you know a little more about it when it comes some times next week and i get a chance to use it.  8)
Randy

lirachamo51

sorry for the delay with my split second  review, it came last week and its all set to go ,but with all the snow melt and rain my header is  4-6 inches of slop. I did get around 15 rounds through, 3-4 were in the 18" area hard maple and black birch (very stringy) and went through it very easy. when it dries up a little i'll give a better and more detailed review !
Randy

DDW_OR

Quote from: lirachamo51 on April 04, 2017, 05:51:22 PM
.......when it dries up a little i'll give a better and more detailed review !
any update
"let the machines do the work"

lirachamo51

I finally got to all my fire wood around 15 cords 13 of hard wood and 2 of pine and hemlock for camp fires at the hunting camp, around 16 1/2 hrs of splitting time on the hour meter. I've got to get pics out of phone and to the computer and then uploaded so i can post them. I have to start siding my pole barn, so once again there may be a delay in my long review of the split second sorry for such a long delay, but i will try to be much quicker than my last response. If somebody wants to know sooner , I would be open to a phone call ! just pm me !
Randy

lirachamo51

got all the pics downloaded from the phone to the computer and uploaded to my gallery so i'll start my review of my split second kinetic log splitter.i'll start with the pro's  and finish with the con's over the next few days. I'm a very slow typer and poor writer so forgive my lack of english skills. it was delivered from Illinois to upstate ny via truck in about a week. you will need to have equipment or lift gate service ,i have tractor with forks so i was able to unload it. it came crated on 2 pallets and was secured very well. no scratches or dents and most of it was assembled, attached adjustable tow bar with 2 pins, slide wheel assembly in with locking pin and pulled it off pallet with four wheeler.time for shower and bed i'll continue tomorrow evening.

Randy

lirachamo51

rd.2.... one of the reasons i choose this was the adjustable height it was pretty easy to do with a couple of blocks and 6ft pry bar to lift one side put it on blocks remove 2 bolts slide the channel down ,replace bolts, do the same for other side.nice feature if your tall or short ! very wide and stable towing with four wheeler.next was  the table and that was pretty easy with a few bolts and it is very wide and heavy duty another nice feature to split and not have any falling to ground and picking them up again.I also purchased the log lift, tool tray, outriggers, and cover. all were easy to put together if quality control of manufacturing was up to par... i'll cover the issues i had in the con's all are very handy and glad that i purchased them. outriggers provide extra stability and cut down on the vibration you get when you just have it sitting on front jack wheel or ball hitch to the four wheeler. tool tray is handy to keep lubrication spray, putty knife, rag ,etc.cover is heavy duty water proof and covers entire machine.log lift i use as log table for 10-15 rounds rated for 180lbs,i place a support under it.

Randy

lirachamo51

the engine is a subaru,add a quart of oil, gas and it fired right up very fuel efficient less than 5 gallons for 16 1/2 hrs of splitting time and has run flawlessly. The splitter is fast as advertised ,much quicker than hydraulics! It goes through most rounds i had with no issues, i had to release handle and hit some a second or third time. only 1 big rd that was bottom of black birch that was all twisted and double crotch around 20" that got stuck on wedge and ram wouldn't release, this i will cover in the cons.

Randy

lirachamo51

Wife is yelling at me to eat so i've got to go ,i'll continue next rd with the cons !
Randy

lirachamo51

i'll start with the cons now, as stated it came package very well ,but when i started putting adjustable tow bar in it was missing one of the locking pins, which i had extra with all the equipment i have.hardware for table and tool tray was there.table went on easy, tool tray i had issues with, you had to remove 2 bolts on part of the belt guard that went through 2 pre drilled hole in tool tray no problem, but there are 2 more bolts that were to another belt guard and no predrilled hole or punch outs that would easy slip over the to bolt heads. after some forcing and clamping i was able to get other bolts into the pre drilled holes, but it doesn't fit squared to frame. next came the log lift it was easy to put together, but it didn't come with a bolt and a couple of nuts ( which i didn't have at the property so i finished for the day. next morning stoped at the hardware store and picked up the missing parts and bought another locking pin i had taken from another pice of equipment. as i started putting the tubes together the prepunched holes had flared the inside of the connecting tubes so they wouldn't slide together! now i was starting to get a little P'd.O. because i didn't have long files with me so i had to make the 40 min trip back to the house and get the files.it took close to 2 hours of hand filing and finally small sledge to drive tubes together to be able to get bolts through, royal pita ! with a little quality control that you would think  a 3000+ machine would have these problems wouldn't happen !i called the company and told them the issues and they seemed concerned,( sent me 2 cheap hats and 4 can coolers ) not even the replacement parts i had to buy, not the way i would've handled it ! once the log lift was attached i was  ready to try it out. it was impressive with the quickness that it split the trial rounds, so stopped the machine and pulled it around to my log pile and split about 2 cords on it. it performed well and i was very happy with it. the log lift i was using as table to stack the rounds you can get around 10 to 15 on it, but you do have to put a support under it or keep the weight under 180lb's. i just put a piece of wood under it so i can load it up ! you also have to put a wide flat board on the frame or the logs tend to slip between the tubes on it.i stopped there and put the machine away till i was ready to buck and split the rest of the fire wood which was a few months.

Randy

barbender

What powers the log lifter?
Too many irons in the fire

lirachamo51

its mechanical, it comes with a long solid steel bar that you insert into a tube on log lift frame, i tried it only once and it works pretty easy, for me it is easier to pick rounds up and use it as a table ! here is a pic of the bar on back of 4wheeler and if you zoom in on 2nd pic you can see were it slides in under main frame.

Randy

lirachamo51

so after a few months i had all the firewood bucked and was ready to start splitting ! when i uncovered it was disappointed to see all the decals were peeling off the machine, tried to put them back on ,but they don't stay on. the splitter started right up and performed well for the most part, i did have a few issues with a big round of black birch that was a double crotch at the stump. as the ram hit the round it stopped about half way through it and when i hit the lift handle it wouldn't release the ram so the belts started smoking and i kept trying to hit the lever down and it was bending so i finally shut the engine down. after hammering the round with a small sledge i was able to get the ram to release and retract. after 4-5 more attempts i was able to get it to split. the trouble with the engagement lift handle is that it is made of some type of composite and there is a slot cut into it where it attaches to the engagement mechanism. this concerns me with the longevity of this part. i did have a few more rounds that did stop the ram but when i hit down on the handle it released the ram and it retracted the way it was supposed to. i'll add the pic of the handle and decals now

Randy

lirachamo51

another issue i had was on another crotched round that wasn't as big as the first one i had issues with but the ram stopped and when i hit down on the handle the ram released, but as it was retracting it stopped about half way in.upon further inspection i saw that the little roller bearing on bottom of ram that rides on top beam had twisted sideways had to get pry bar to release some of the tension from the spring to twist it back into its little slot. i had no further issue with this part the rest of the time. you do have to keep the top of the main frame cleaned, scraped and lubed which i did after about each hr of use or the dirt and sap starts to build and the ram will not fully retract .it only takes a few seconds to clean it so no big deal.i do wonder what will happen in the winter with ice and snow from the rounds and the issues it will cause and if that roller bearing will hold up !i'll post a pic of it tomorrow i didn't have it on my phone , i'll continue then.
Randy

DDW_OR

Knowing what you know now, Would you buy it again?
"let the machines do the work"

porcupine

I don't think the kinetic type splitters are for the "real nasty" stuff. Mine will do the same thing. I set aside what I think is are the harder to split ones and whip out my hydraulic unit.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!