iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt15 wide trailer

Started by Tahoe tom, September 02, 2016, 12:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoe tom

Hi everyone, I'm Tom! I just joined the site, and thought I would introduce myself.  I am a married, have a one year old son, and live in the Sierras. I have been a  part time furniture builder/designer the last three years, and just left the tree climbing/care Industry to pursue furniture and milling full time.
Anyway I bought a Lt15 wide and I'm building a trailer for it. So far the trailer is about 23' long. I was wondering where I should place the axle on it? Any Lt15 go owners that would care to measure where their axle lays? Thanks and I look forward to contributing to this online community.

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum Tahoe tom!  Hopefully someone with some experience will be along shortly to help you with the trailer.
Woodland Mills HM130

tnaz

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Tahoe tom.

Terry

thecfarm

Tahoe tom,welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your new business venture!!
There will be someone that will help,but this will get you by until they show up.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,83571.msg1275811.html#msg1275811
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lawg Dawg

60/40 should work pretty good.  That's where I put mine.
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Czech_Made

Magicman

Hello Tahoe tom, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Your Smile says that you are a happy-go-lucky guy.   :D

I wish you the best with your new business venture.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Tom,
I think locating the axle would depend on where the travel pin for the mill is located, such as on the LT15GO.  I would contact Woodmizer and follow their recommendation (and probably purchase their locking hardware).

John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Rougespear

Normal is between 60-70% of total trailer length.  Most common is 65% I think.  I put mine at 70% just because that's where it fit best.  Measure total trailer length from the tongue, and I think you need to have 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue.  Best to confirm all I've said though, as I have only built one trailer.  I was careful in the fab process, and it tows very nicely.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Tahoe tom

Thanks everyone for thexample info and greetings. I will probably put it somewhere around the 60/40 location, I'm just a bit concerned about the 8 foot section that cantelivers out past the axle... but it should be fine right?

Tahoe tom

Thanks Rougespeare, I think 70% will be better than 60%, does your trailer still back up well? Or did you loose some maneuverability?

Kbeitz

You will have one crazy trailer if you get to much weight
in back of the axle.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Tahoe tom

Well, I'm just about done with the trailer. I made the axle removable so I can slide it forward or backward on the trailer to find the best placement for both towing and manuverability. All that's left is to build the log ramps and a winch mount for parbuckling.

Ljohnsaw

Welcome, Tahoe Tom!  Nice looking trailer.  Are the axles mounted on angle iron or C channel?  How do you lock the axle in place, a couple of hitch pins?  I can't tell in the pictures, do you or will you have leveling jacks on the rear?  I see the mid and front ones but you will definitely need some on the rear!

As far as maneuverability, the closer the wheels are to the hitch, the faster it will jack knife when backing up.  That might come in handy if you are trying to squeeze into a tight spot.  Going forward it won't matter as long as you have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue.  You can lock your head in the place that gives you that amount of weight.  What do you think the whole thing weighs?  Will you be mobile sawing a lot?

My cabin project is not too far from you.  I'm at exit 160, Yuba Gap, 39 miles to the west.  Do you fish much on the Truckee River or Stampede?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

hacknchop

Welcome to forum trailer looks great i have pull all kinds of mills and know that you will do just fine and before you know it you will back her in anywhere you need to ,have fun and enjoy  :)
Often wrong never indoubt

Tahoe tom

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 07, 2016, 11:32:24 PM
Welcome, Tahoe Tom!  Nice looking trailer.  Are the axles mounted on angle iron or C channel?  How do you lock the axle in place, a couple of hitch pins?  I can't tell in the pictures, do you or will you have leveling jacks on the rear?  I see the mid and front ones but you will definitely need some on the rear!

As far as maneuverability, the closer the wheels are to the hitch, the faster it will jack knife when backing up.  That might come in handy if you are trying to squeeze into a tight spot.  Going forward it won't matter as long as you have 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue.  You can lock your head in the place that gives you that amount of weight.  What do you think the whole thing weighs?  Will you be mobile sawing a lot?

My cabin project is not too far from you.  I'm at exit 160, Yuba Gap, 39 miles to the west.  Do you fish much on the Truckee River or Stampede?

I was wondering where your cabin was, it looks like a great project!  I mounted the axle on 5/8" bolts,(2 each side) I was going to do hitch pins but I'm not  sure they are secure enough. It's a c channel I welded with angle and flatbar. I think the mill and trailer will weight around 2200. I hope to do a bit of mobile milling to add revenue /diversity to my furniture business. I fly fished the truckee and stampede a lot a while back, currently taking a break. I would love to see your cabin! I have been doing a side job helping build a house on the top of Donner summit off the soda springs exit. It's pretty modern but there is some timber framing and other cool features.

kng

2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

kensfarm

That looks great..  TK has large bolts for the head to lock down when transporting.. it puts the head right over the tires I believe. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Tahoe tom on September 08, 2016, 10:13:41 AM
I was wondering where your cabin was, it looks like a great project!  I mounted the axle on 5/8" bolts,(2 each side) I was going to do hitch pins but I'm not  sure they are secure enough. It's a c channel I welded with angle and flatbar. I think the mill and trailer will weight around 2200. I hope to do a bit of mobile milling to add revenue /diversity to my furniture business. I fly fished the truckee and stampede a lot a while back, currently taking a break. I would love to see your cabin! I have been doing a side job helping build a house on the top of Donner summit off the soda springs exit. It's pretty modern but there is some timber framing and other cool features.

Sounds good.  Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but, in California, any trailer weighing more than 1,000 or 1,500 (I forget which) must have trailer brakes.  I didn't see any wires for electric brakes.  Both DMV and Highway Patrol said if it has wheels on the road, it must be licensed.  Good luck.

My address is technically Soda Springs but I'm 14 miles from there and only 2 miles from Nyack!  Donner summit is a beautiful place!  Almost bought a cabin there behind Donner Ski Ranch but it didn't have any property and the Rock Crawler championships were held literally in the back yard.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Homelite775

Happy to see your pictures Tom.  Looks good.  I'm about to pick up my LT 15 W-I-D-E next week and am not alone here to say we'd love to get an update on your trailer progress, success, and advise for the other mill owners that really want to make their own trailers too.  Thank you for your posting this.  I'll be standing by... likely with welding helmet ON!   

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Homelite775!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

homelite775,good to see you posting.
What's all the lumber going to be use for. Must have some support equipment for that wide stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jollyR

Hey Tom,
Thanks for posting your trailer info.  After looking at your work and plans, I built a trailer for my new LT15WIDE.
I begged Woodmizer to make a trailer for it, but they apparently have no interest.
In order to help others I post some of my work here too.  I used 3/16 steel box beams to build the trailer.  I also used a heavier cross member 1/4" steel box beam, 3" x 5" to mount torsion axles from Flexiride (3500lbs rating)
Thanks again Tom!

jollyR

jollyR

Thank You Sponsors!