iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

steam show

Started by trapper, August 15, 2010, 10:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

My wife and I went to antique steam and tractor show in Chilton WI this afternoon.  They had 2 hand built circle saws in operation that were powered by steam engines.  The logs they had in my opinion had much to be desired.  Those engines were shur quiet.  A lot of old restored tractors and hit and miss engines running.  Had a shingle mill there also but I didnt get to see it run.  Had a firewood saw rig powered by steam also but wasnt running while we were there. Had a drag saw powered by a hit amd miss also. That saw needed to be sharpenen as I could have cut faster by hand with a sweed saw.
friend of mine that displays there said there will be one in  Baraboo WI next weekend for any in the area that are intrested.  He said it will be much larger than the one we attended today.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

low_48

Steam engine powered sawmills, a complete joy to the senses!!!!!!!!! Coal smoke, steam, wet sawdust, it's a dream. I'll be going to Mt. Pleasant, Ia on Labor Day weekend. That is one wonderful show. Sawmill for  steam, scale steam, and horses. I can't remember if they have 4 or 6 teams on the sawmill, but they only do small logs. A nice veneer mill and shingle mill. And boy howdy, it's a treat at noon. Steam whistles as far as you can hear! Thanks Trapper, no I can't wait for September.

bandmiller2

Steam is very good mill power,much like electric motors it can handle short term overloads and wrote the book on torque.Theirs usally enough waste in a log to fire the boiler to cut that log.Big problem is the legal and inspection issues with the boiler,you should have at least 100 psi 150 is even better,thats a case of dynamite.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bro. Noble

Dad has my grandad's old 20 hp Minn. Moline engine.  I was told that at 150 psi it has enough energy to put a one pound ball in orbit :o 
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Polly

brown co antiqut and mchnry show in gorge town ohio has a steam powered circle sawmill set up on their grounds as well as steam powered shingle cutter you are to late for this year  if interested they probly got a web page ;) ;) 8)

sandhills

Maybe a bit further away but Petersburg Ne has their annual RaeValley Days this weekend I think, a circle mill has been there the last couple of years, don't know for sure if it's steam powered though never made it to see, definetly will this year seein's how I got one now.  They always put on a great show anyway.

trapper

talking to a vendor today and the Baraboo show has it own saw shed.  Someone told me  the club has 80 acres for their grounds.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Okrafarmer

The Dacusville Farm Days is also held on Labor Day Weekend, in Dacusville, SC, a little ways from my house. They have a massive old saw mill on the site which I thought was powered by steam but I'm thinking it may be one of the early, huge IC stationary engines. They also have a veneer mill there, and last year I watched a local sawyer demonstrating a Woodmizer. There's also a guy who regularly attends and shows antique chainsaws, and you never know what all you're going to find there except to say that it is primarily a tractor show and you will find plenty of tractors there-- maybe around 300 or more. There are usually a lot of bulldozers and vintage earthmovers on display as well, including a regular attender with a 1938 Cat D-8 with cable controlled scraper, all nicely restored.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

trapper
Are you thinking of going to the Badger Steam and Gas show this weekend just west of Baraboo, WI?

Here is a link to the features of this years three day show. It is a big one.

http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

Most likely not.  My wife had enough old tractors last sunday.  Next event I will be attending will be the logging congress.

Thank You Sponsors!