iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forks for my Loader

Started by Stephen1, November 20, 2008, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I am thinking of buying some of the clamp on forks for my loader. I see them on e-bay for $279.(http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220309611773)
I would be able to move some smaller logs and make it easier to stack and move my lumber as I mill it. Right now everything is done with chains & Tongs.
Does anyone have any experience with these type of forks?
Should I remove my bucket and have a skid steer quick attachment built for where the bucket pins on?
I know that I would be able to lift more weight, and see what I am lifting easier I would think it will cost me about $1200-1500 for that. 
The $279 I could afford now, the other I would have to wait to save some more cash.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Reddog

At the weights they are listing, I would be afraid of bending the bucket.

I have mine on a quick attach now. I like how quick you can switch over to a different bucket or forks.
There are some pics in this thread. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29338.140.html

nas

If you want to do it cheaper until you can afford real forks, get some 3' pieces of heavy 1"x3" steel and drill a 1/2" hole in it and through the bucket and bolt them in.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

wesdor

I have a Deere 300CX FEL with the Quick Attach.  This week I purchased a pallet fork from Iowa Farm Equipment (located near Iowa City).  Total cost was $800 and they are really a solidly made piece of equipment.  My FEL is rated for 1600 pounds and the pallet forks are rated for 2000 pounds, so I'm not worried about bending them.  They are made by a Canadian company.

http://iowafarmequipment.com/mds_pallet_forks.html

They ship equipment anywhere, but I picked the forks up.  If you contact them, I suggest you ask for Andrew, he has always been up front and honest with me.

Like Reddog said, I would be afraid of bending the bucket with the clamp on forks.

beenthere

wesdor
Why not the Deere forks that have the quick-tach ??

Or do you have the bobcat attachment system on your Deere loader?

Deere forks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Or, ya could do this for about twenty bucks.

I just got a couple of pieces of 2x2 heavy walled tubing, and some short pieces of slightly larger tubing that they would fit into.  Welded the short fat pieces to the side of the bucket.  In the second pic, you can see the hole the pin goes into.  The nubs welded onto the forks keep the pressure off the pin, which is only there to keep the forks from falling out when the bucket is tilted down.  Works good. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

york

Hi, 

i don`t care for the forks that are on e-bay...the bucket will block your view-ya can`t see the tips of the forks-save your money-fab a sub-frame for real forks..Bert
Albert

Dale Hatfield

bucket benders.  they will get you by but in the long run. It will be safer and faster with a set of forks
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Banjo picker

I have a 580 k Case backhoe that has 3 hook recievers on top of the bucket...They have not damaged it, but it is a very heavy made product...but the forks are just hanging and you don't have control like I like to point them downward...Scott makes a nice fork attatchment for bobcat like quick att....I have one for the Kubota...They have not bent although I have picked the rear end of the tractor up a few times....Only draw back is the quick attatch it not a dquick a it could be...Kubota saw fit to put a major brace int their loader attatchment.right where I need to see.....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

wesdor

Beenthere,

"Why not the Deere forks"

When I checked with my Deere dealer the Deere (Frontier) pallet forks were significantly more expensive.  Also, I believe the ones I bought are a bit heavier built.  They are also JD Green which helped.

Nothing against the Deere product.  I prefer to buy original Deere if the price is right.

What did you pay for your Pallet forks?  Perhaps you got a better price than me.

beenthere

Around $800...like maybe 4-5 years ago.  Yours look good.

Then I added a couple pieces to make them fit the 3pt Deere i-Match quick hitch. Really work great for moving pallets around, and moving firewood into the house (especially with the hyd. top arm).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

I use an old Oliver 880 with Koyker loader.   Purchased a set of clamp on forks; they handle 900# 30' logs.  The forks are very convenient when working alone.  I don't need to spend so much time messing with chains and tongs.   My forks have a safe working load of 1000# and I think they cost me about $400 from a local tractor supply

I clamp the forks to this bucket.  No problem.

With the clamp on fork you have to be very careful when lifting the load high, don't want that log rolling off the back and landing on the operator.

Stephen1

This is the loader I have,  Mobility Dipper , the bucket has reinforced metal strips from the back and a hardened still cutting edge on it. I have been able to lift some 2000lbs with it.   

jander3   do you clamp the forks on near the edges or is that a hardened steel edge I see. I see you have eye bolts for the chain, when you lift the log with tongs does the chain slide so as to even the load?
Dang I like your idea I just don't have welding capabilities here.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jander3

Here is a photo of the fork.  The fork clamps on about 12" in from the edge. 

For the bucket. I had had a welder cut off some clevis hooks and weld them into the bucket.  The hooks are sized for the chain so it doesn't slip (standard clevis hook).  It cost me $90 to have a welder drive out and fab these up for me. It works very well.  I find that I end up using 1, 2, 3, or 4 hooks depending on what I'm trying to do.  For lifting logs, I use at least two hooks and wrap both ends of the chain around the log and everything stays nice and level.   I generally use the hooks and chain set up for moving stuff around when I am working with  cutting and notching a log or two.  I don't use the forks unless I have to move quite a few logs at time.

TW

I am in the same kind of trouble having recently bought a front loader but having no forks.
I looked at a similar loader and studied how the factory made forks were made. They are simply welded up from thick walled mild steel pipe. When I have time for it I will weld up a proper set of forks to the same specifications as the factory made ones, or as an alternative one may now and then find secondhand forged forks from broken up loaders or babcats.

Reddog

Horst  welding makes both clamp on and pin on.

WildDog

I am in the same boat, loader and bucket but no forks, my FIL has taken the measurements for a quick hitch frame and there is a forklift company up North that sells used forks, for about $200 a pair compared to $800 new. It pays to see these forks 1st as most have spent there previous life skidding on concrete. For the most part moving logs I use the 4 in 1 bucket, each year I say I will get some forks but Nicky always seems to find something better to spend money on. :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

cheyenne

I tried those ebay forks and there junk, bent right in half but the guy took them back & refunded my money. Went with a new pair of CID skid steer forks delivered to my front door for $ 750 rated @ 4,000 lbs only way to go & there great for plucking big rocks out of the ground....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Larry

Time to buy a welder and learn how to use it iffen ya want to save dollars.  Quick attach and fully adjustable.  I've yet to bend em and they have faced extreme abuse for over 10 years.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wannabeonetoo

Forks are one of the most versaile attachments you can put on the FEL. IMO.
I made up a set using (2)  6' pcs. of I-beam ( 4"x6"x3/16" I think),horizontal with 12" long pcs. welded between them vertically (forming a lying down "H").Made hooks & tabs to fit my Q/A.
Went to the local lift truck repair guy and bought a pair of industrial forks (they apparently have a "best before" type date in some industrial applications), he said they were rated for 12,000 #(way more than my loader can lift !!!!!).
Slid them on the end of the framework and "presto" ,I'm in business  8).
My most recent use for them was to transport trees for transplanting here at the farm. I dug arround the perimeter of the drip line with a long spade, then slid the forks in and under in a couple spots then "plucked" out the tree.Had a helper stabilize the tree for the drive up to the yard to a prepared planting site. Slow and gentle is the key if you're not balling and palleting the tree for transport.
  Oh yea ... forks can be used to load logs onto sawmills  ;D :D
   Steve 

pigman

Looks like Larry unloads logs like I do. I have a factory set of Deere forks for my tractor and almost all my customers bring their logs in pickups or those fender trailers like in Larry's picture. >:( On some sawing jobs it takes longer to unload the logs than it takes to saw them. The other day someone brought some logs on a flat bed wagon and I got so excited that I rolled one off the far side into the pond. Out comes the hooks so I can fish the log out. I just told the customer that I thought the log looked dirty and needed washing. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

okie

Quote from: DanG on November 20, 2008, 10:52:40 PM

I just got a couple of pieces of 2x2 heavy walled tubing, and some short pieces of slightly larger tubing that they would fit into.  Welded the short fat pieces to the side of the bucket.  In the second pic, you can see the hole the pin goes into.  The nubs welded onto the forks keep the pressure off the pin, which is only there to keep the forks from falling out when the bucket is tilted down.  Works good. :)
I think you and I Would get along real good ;D, That is the way I tend to do things due to growing up with a little less than no money :D .  I promise you that if it were my money I were spending, that would be the way I would go.  I dont think that , due to the placement of the forks, you will be bending your bucket any time soon.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Chuck White

Those of you who use tractor loaders with forks, be careful out there!

Put a set of safety forks on the bucket too.

They would be just the opposite of the lifting forks.
Install two heavy angle iron pieces on the top angle of the bucket.
These will stop a log from rolling off the top edge of the bucket if the loader is raised too high, either accidental or intentional.
The log will roll off the bucket and come right down the loader arms, to the operator.
If a log rolls off the top of the bucket, it will get the tractor operator and it will not be pretty!

I had a neighbor, years ago who had a log up in the air and got distracted by something and accidently raised the loader all the way up and just as the log came off of the bucket, he noticed it and was able to duck and the log went right over top of him and off the back of the tractor.  Good thing he was thinking fast.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Quote from: Reddog on November 22, 2008, 02:22:17 PM
Horst  welding makes both clamp on and pin on.

Thanks Reddog,  found their website just now and will call them in the morning, and they are just over an hour away from me. its great having so many people with info around here.

debushau

I bought a set of those clip-on forks a while. They work okay but move from side to side quite easily. They also put the load out quite far on the loader further reducing your lifting capacity. I'll probably replace them with a proper set of forks though I could certainly get by with the clip-on's.

Polly

8) 8)     bobcat store has a blank that forklift forks fit on thanks to uncle sam i think all forks have the same spec as for as mounting john deere has weld on brackets that fit their front end loader s price of bobcat blank was around 60 dollars you can find forks on e bay around 100 dollars  john deere weld on brackets 150 dollars total including welding around 400 dollars i paid this a couple years ago i have thought also if their was a forklift dealer in the area you could get the forks and mask off a junker and fabricate brackets to adapt to your loader good luck looking  :) :) 8)

Handy Andy

Chuck, that was a good post.  Last summer I was hauling bales with my 4020, and went to load a bale on the trailer, and a piece of the linkage broke, my loader went all the way up, and luckily I had a spear through the bale instead of just under it.  You are right, things happen.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

york

YES chuck w,
you are right-a mill near me,in Owego,ny-a guy named Frank,who i knew,was moving logs around there yard,he had the loader to high and log rolled off the back and frank was killed.....

Bert
Albert

DanG

Chuck brought up an excellent point.  Fortunately, my loader is of the self-leveling type.  I highly recommend that for anyone shopping for a loader.  Not only is it safer, it's a lot easier to use, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

stonebroke

Round bales killed alot of farmers when they first came out. We either got smarter or Darwin was right.

Stonebroke

tcsmpsi

This is different than the separate set of forks/frame that I built for my previous tractor/loader, but I was utilizing material on hand.
The 'brackets' I welded to the bucket are two pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron.

The forks are built from two pieces of angle iron welded together in a manner to get a slight upward bend.  The fork 'frame' slides into the bracket and it does take the time to attach 4 bolts to cinch everthing up, but it is all solid and ready.  The brackets keep the fork frame from depending on the bolts for its lift pressure.

I've also added a couple pieces of short chain with hooks on the fork frame for attaching tongs  (or other proper purpose)

Actually, due to a momentary brain glitch at the end of a long, productive day, that bucket and loader have become spare parts.  As such, I'll be utilizing the back (with its attached brackets) of that loader bucket to build a separate fork frame to better utilize the lift power at the pivot point.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Stephen1

keep the ideas and pics coming, its great to see what is out there. 

Handy Andy

One thing I wanted to point out, is that when you remove the bucket and mount your forks directly to the loader is how much weight you take off, and how much closer the forks are to the tractor.  I have a quick attach on my JD loader, and can drop the bucket and it has holes in the quick tach for spears to handle bales.  You can feel a lot of difference in handling of the tractor because of the less distance the weight is in front of the tractor.  My skid steer has forks, they cost 700 from Case in 05, they are strong enough I can't bend them, have the safety frame in back, cut a hole in one of the forks, and use them to push equipment back into the shed.  Lots easier than backing it in with a tractor.  Especially 4 wheel trailers. Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Stephen1

Quote from: DanG on November 20, 2008, 10:52:40 PM

Dang I am collecting the material for your idea  simple & cheap, my neighbour has offered to weld them in place this week when its not snowing. Is there any reason why you did not put them on the inside of the bucket, I was thinking to weld them to the inside of the bucket a little ways in so as to use the hardened steel edge for some extra strength.

DanG

Actually, I can't think of any good reason to not put them on the inside.  You should be aware that this is a work in progress.  What you see in the pics is the second, and current version.  It is far superior to the first model, but I have another improvement in the works.  I'm going to put an offset on the forks so they will be a bit below the bottom of the bucket.  As it is, I sometimes end up with a bucket full of dirt when I scoop up a log, and the edge of the bucket sometimes runs afoul of dunnage when I'm picking up lumber.  I have the offsets built, so all I have to do is cut a 45° angle on the butt-end of the forks and weld them on.  If you don't want to press your luck with the neighbor too hard, you can wait until he owe's you another favor for this last bit. ;) :D

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, be very careful when using these forks, especially if your loader isn't of the self-leveling type.  Don't let a log roll down and smush ya.  Also, keep your load as low as possible.  A long log that is off balance can make your tractor a bit tippy.  I'm sure you're aware of these little cautions, but others who aren't as experienced may be reading. ;)

smoothED

I found a bunch of old forklifts at the scrapyard and bought a set of real forks for 20 bucks, built a frame from junior H beams. I gotta pull the pins to change out the bucket, but, it's heavy duty and they even slide. You could also weld the top of the forks to a piece of pipe then run a smaller pipe or roundstock through and weld to the top of the bucket and let the heel of the fork rest on the cutting edge, that way you just flip the forks over when not in use and you could use the bucket for digging.  smiley_idea

Thank You Sponsors!