iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

monster white oak

Started by donny hochstetler, April 12, 2011, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

heres a picture of one of the two whiteoaks My son and I cut this afternoon the first nine ft. might veneer it has over a thousand ft. in nine ft,these are some of the biggest i've cut for several years

tyb525

Wow! What's the dbh on that one, 40"+? What will you do with it, sell it?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Sounds like more than 46" little end.  I'm glad that I won't have to saw that baby.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2011, 07:59:22 PM
Sounds like more than 46" little end.  I'm glad that I won't have to saw that baby.

I'm in the opposite camp - those are the logs that I love to saw!

Nice score Donny!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kevin

Donny, why does it look like it's sitting sideways on the stump?

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

donny hochstetler

its about 54 in. on the stump I didn't measure the dbh but at 9 ft. it is about 45 in. also when it hit the ground it rolled sidways a littlebit [ big limb up high] its not the cleanest tree I cut but still a heavyweight

Magicman

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 12, 2011, 08:56:31 PM
I'm in the opposite camp - those are the logs that I love to saw! 

If I was 17 years younger I would too.  If it's 36" or less it's OK, but if I have to chainsaw it, it ceases to be fun for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

SCSmith, I with ya man, the bigger the better. 

Donny, awesome tree. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customdave

Wow thats a nice log!, but I have mixed feelings sawing this one, I"m only 5' 4" tall, that log is darn near as tall as me laying down :o....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

WH_Conley

I don't mind cutting them down that big. I just don't want to fight them on the mizer.
Bill

Magicman

It looks more like "Swinger Fodder" to me.   ;D

tlandrum

is it just me or does that have a hole in it? i cant sell vaneer with a hole in it
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

donny hochstetler

it does have a small 6 in. hole in it if it clears up within 2 ft. I can still get 9 ft. veneer or somtimes they will take them as halves if there this big so it depends what my buyer will say if he wont take it it'll be a saw log and if thats the case I don't want to but it off

Dale Hatfield

By the looks it has a fair amount of pulled fiber. In excess of what is allowed, for quality and safety most importantly.
I have to bring this up as its the safety trainer in me. I would suspect thats the reason behind Kevin's question. As it looks like their could be a lot of things wrong that dont apply to open face and hing type felling .
Their should be Chainsaw  felling classes in your area if your interested,if not pm me I can get you some info.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ed_K

Every time I cut oak like that size their spider cracked so bad i cordwood the butt log.
Nice find Donny.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!