iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- support for Rottne equipment ??? -

Started by BargeMonkey, June 15, 2014, 06:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

I've only run 8 wheel machines, I find myself pulling a lot of stumps out with my forwarder you get tired of bouncing over them. I worked with a guy who ran a Rottne he loved it but one time it was broke down two weeks til Rickard got back from Sweden to fix it, at that time he was the only mechanic they had. I don't know about now. Also the parts seemed very high priced and I dislike metric hoses and fittings.

barbender

I will say that part of the problem with my machine is my boss insists on high air pressure in our forwarder tires, as he got sick of all the flats we were having. So our machines don't bounce, they just slam. I got to run one of our new Ponsse Buffalo's, they have a new style of frame lock- instead of the big brake disc style like mine, the new ones have two hydrualic cylinders that lock. That machine rode WAY smoother, I suspect the hydraulics cylinders have a dampening effect. Ponsse machines are all British Pipe hydraulic fittings, which is fine here because there is a Ponsse shop in town and enough Ponsse machines around that most hydraulic shops carry BSP as well. If you don't have that luxury, BSP would be a real pain. Bargemonkey, you want a machine that has good dealer support. With the complexity of these newer machines, you need someone that is experienced with their quirks and can get you parts in short order. They cost way too much to be sitting for 2 weeks. In my area, I would say Ponsse and John Deere have the best support by far, and that's really all you see for CTL machines up here. Timberjack, John Deere, and Ponsse are the only forwarders I have seen, except for Timberpro forwarders on pipeline jobs. As for processors,  the same machines and a few Timbco, Timberpro, and Fabtek. Now that I say that, I've seen a few Fabtek forwarders, too. My point is that people are buying the machines that they can keep running ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!