iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Truck Accidents

Started by Ron Scott, May 21, 2004, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

DanManofStihl

i could not get the link to load is it just me?
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Ron Scott

The news link must have expired but can be found in the msn archives if interested by entering a search title; "Logging Truck Accidents".
~Ron

Bill Johnson

Driver killed while working underneath logging truck

A loaded logging truck was unable to climb a snow-covered icy hill.  The driver called for help from a loader operator, and they decided to remove some logs to lighten the load.  Because the truck was near a bridge, the logs could be unloaded only from the back, not the side.  The truck driver got out of the cab and went under the vehicle, possibly to adjust the brakes on the truck drive axles.

As the loader operator was removing a log, the loader bumped the load of logs.  The truck moved, running over the truck driver.  The driver later died of his injuries.

Safe work practices:
,,h Truck drivers must remain in the cab or stay where the loader operator can see them at all times.
,,h Loader operators must not unload logs unless they know the truck driver is in a safe location.
,,h Inspect brakes at the start of each shift and at other times as necessary.  Ensure that the air brake adjusters are properly set.

Source:Worker¡¦s Compensation Board of British Columbia

Date of the Occurrence: 2002
Bill

Bill Johnson

Drive Defensively-Expect the unexpected on logging roads

A worker was killed when his crew truck collided with the tracks of a log loader.  The log loader was being carried sideways on a low-bed truck.  The log loader tracks extended about two feet over each side of the flatbed.  The collision happened on a narrow stretch of icy logging road.

Prevention alert:
,,h Do not create a wide-load situation on logging roads without informing all potential users of your movements.
,,h Use radio communications to chart your movements with other road users.
,,h Make sure all vehicles drive within accepted speed limits and that driving speeds are reduced in poor road conditions.
,,h

Source:Worker¡¦s Compensation Board of British Columbia
Bill

sawguy21

One of our foremen was motoring down the road while talking with dispatch on the radio. She heard"OH S**T OH S**T" Alarmed she asked what was wrong."OH S**T I'll call you later!". He was passing a loaded truck when the trailer pole stuck its nose out and peeled the side off his pickup.The pintle hitch was full of ice and the latch had not been properly secured. The pickup probably kept the truck from overturning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Frank_Pender

We had one good one here a few days ago with a loaded log truck.  A dear friend of mine runs 10 trucks with his company.  (His wife is one of my past students)  Anyway, one of John;s drivers was headed to a mill with a full load of 32' and 36' logs about mid morning on Monday, last.  The accident was on Highway 213 near the town of Molalla.   An on-coming car swirved into the truck and struck him just at the rear tractor duels, sliding under the load of logs, taking the top off of his vehicle killing him instantly.  A chain reaction occured that caused two other vehicles drivers to be life-flighted to Portland hospitals.  As you can imagine, there were logs spread around a bit.  The truck driver was not hurt in the least and was able to drive the truck and trailer (twisted a bit) to the repair shop in Portland, the next day.   The mess took until 7:00 that night to get cleared, as I understood the story.  
    Reason for the driver heading into the log truck, drunk. :o >:(
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!