iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planers?

Started by starmac, December 15, 2017, 02:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

If a guy is looking at older used smaller planers, what advantage does something like a 718 woodmaster have over an old belsaw?

Is the finished product the same quality out of either one?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

21incher

I bought a new belsaw in the early 80's and used it for 35 years with no problems. With sharp blades it left a great finish. It also made great moldings. If the motor did not finally let the smoke out, l would still be using it. I wanted to go a little wider so I replaced it, but could have gotten another 30 years out of it with a new motor.
A woodmaster 718 will give you the extra 6 inches that I would say is a big plus, and spiral heads are available for it. On the other hand 12 inch blades are very easy to sharpen. Also some belsaw parts can be hard to find now.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bigred1951

I always liked the old big green powermaster planers. We had one in wood shop back in high school. Worked great and loud. If you was by it you could feel the vibration in the concrete floor. Even if you was way down the hall you could hear it running especially if they put a thick piece through it.

bigred1951

Kcwoodbutcher

One of the biggest advantages is the 718 has a variable speed drive. It comes in handy when you start to bog down on a heavy cut or cutting crazy grained wood. It also has a couple of more horsepower.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

69bronco

I've got an old belsaw I bought late 70s, replaced all the sprockets chains etc.  Has been running strong ever since, changed motors twice. Tough machine.

DR_Buck

I own a 718 with the spiral head.    LOVE IT !!!

Probably the biggest advantage is the 718 is still in production, so parts and support are not a problem.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larry

The Belsaw Company is still kicking.  Not its formal self, but can supply parts to keep the planing machines going.  I used to have a herd of them for some reason.  Most common wear part is the in feed rubber roller.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ed

Woodmaster planers are basically a modern version of the old Bellsaw.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!