iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap implement/equipment paint?

Started by mike_belben, August 12, 2018, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I finally fixed my dozer and got my powerwasher moved down here to belben camp.. While its all apart id like to blast on a cheap coat of paint.  Its a komatsu but ita been painted already and i dont care about a perfect match.  A sub $100 brush on 40ft decent job is fine.  Dark machine gray rustoleum rattle can is a nice match for the gray portions (maybe what was used last time) but i need a yellow.  Majic's deere yellow is too bright.. Rustoleum safety yellow is way too bright, like a fluorescent highlighter.  Im looking for a thicker, tougher paint by the gallon thats a hair more orangey goldish, closer to cat/case.  

What ya suggest?  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

After hours of chipping and scraping

Then hours of power washing

The dash and the drippy top post are safety yellow.  Bottom of post is JD yellow but i dont care for either.  Too watery, phantom colors beneath it.
Praise The Lord

Southside

Lowe's has an oil based tintable paint that is about $25/gallon they will make it in any color you want. I did my Franklin 170 skidder with one gallon. I stretched it pretty thin to make it work but that was probably 4 years ago and it still looks pretty good today.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Do you remember the brand?  We have a lowes in town
Praise The Lord

Southside

It's under their own brand of paint label, which I can't think of the name of off hand. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

At the time it was right next to the Rust-Oleum gallons.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

If I was doing that much work, I'd get some machinery and implement paint from automotive paint supplier.  Single stage enamel, but made for the job.  Something that uses a hardener.  A good two-part epoxy primer to start.  NAPA carries some good automotive paint, or some go to some other local source of your choice.  They usually have knowledgeable staff that can put you on the right track.

With the amount of labor that goes into prepping and painting, it's worth a few extra bucks to get good paint.  

Tractor Supply sells some implement paint and the hardener that goes with it.  Most of the colors are standard machinery colors, but you won't find any good advice there usually.

Just my $.02
HM126

thecfarm

Most of TSC help don't even have animals.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Couple weeks ago I went to TSC to buy a bush hog, my old was was just not worth fixing again, walked in, told the girl at the cash register I wanted one of their 6' bush hogs, blank stare, told her I wanted a 6' rotary cutter, more blank stare. She asked me to take her to it, which I did, she then asked what those "big things" are used for...  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Mike... if you where making another run thru NY I would recommend "ponsenello" which is a big paint place in Albany, they will blend any color in marine quality paint pretty reasonable, what we have been using lately. 

Southside- have you ever been to a "running's" ??? There is one in Gloversville, had about destroyed the local tractor supply, everything you could ever want under 1 roof... 

mike_belben

Nah no more trips eric.  Kids back in school so my cinderella license is over.  I made 3 runs with them and did get some important bits moved down.  I wasnt far from you when i ejected that trailer axle, be glad i didnt call!

Truthfully, im doing a little testing here to see if i want to start painting equipment for a brief summer gig now that i have some daylight without kids.  I got my hose maker and dies down, got the power washer, have a sandblaster up north, year or so ill have basic machine shop, have good hydraulics shops nearby to supply packings and such. Have the tools.  I could pick up and drop off medium sized equipment and we do have a few larger equipment auction joints toward nashville.  Maybe theres an old horse trader waiting for me to do the hard part.. I dunno. 

So old iron rehab is kinda up my alley and cleaning/painting rounds that package out pretty well.  You gotta pull everything apart to get at hoses and pins.  If you got a power washer its much more pleasant to work on a cleanish machine.  not that much further to paint.  So i wanted to just have an idea on time and water/electric cost to do a dozer, and if i do mine i will have some pics for an ad.  Gonna see what bottom of the barrel gets me.  Its a yard machine that im keeping, nothin fancy.   Ill do as nice a job as a customer wants to pay for.  

I do have to figure out a much longer pressure hose, a good and cheap degreaser and getting my heat coil rebuilt.  Cold spray just doesnt have the snot.  I want to melt stickers off, not scrape them.
Praise The Lord

Loghauler86

I've done some higher quality restorations and also alot of fast and nasty quicky paint jobs. Paying a little more for quality paint is well worth the money. For equipment I have been using PPG's performance series industrial paint. They have hundreds of different colors to chose from and I'm sure you'll find something close. It covers excellent, sprays great and seems to really hold up. Most professional paint shops carry this series. It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 a gallon.

Ed_K

I walked into TSC went to the implement paint shelf and picked up a gallon of cat yellow. It goes on with a paint brush doesn't leave brush stroke lines.I don't remember what it cost but I know it was less than $100.

This is after 4yrs.
Ed K

woodmaker

Mike,there is a company out of New York called "magnet paint" that i have used for years. It will stick to anything,they have several styles of paint(both 2 part epoxy and single part) ,they will send it to your door,and they have a large selection of colors, and they are priced very reasonable.
 The only problem is it tends to fade after several years if left out in the  sun.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Corley5

TSC has worked for us for years.  If you want it to be really durable add hardener.  I've heard that Magnet Paints are very good and have thought I'd try them on the next old tractor I paint.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Thanks for the info fellas.   

Now what to run through the pressure washer for a cheap degreaser?  Dawn was good on the loose oily stuff but some of it is closer to a baked on tar, chisel only type crud.  

I wish there was a way to inject an abrasive through it like salt or wash powder to hammer the trash off. 
Praise The Lord

btulloh

They sell abrasive injectors for power washers.  I don't know how well they work, but may be worth a try.  I could use one myself.  Obviously if you're using abrasive you have to stay away from sensitive stuff.  Not sure if I have the discipline to do that.

I've experimented with a lot of different degreasers. Some of them are pretty harsh.  Choose wisely.  Seems like most times I need to dilute them to get the right mixture at the nozzle and not use them up too fast.  Simple Green isn't bad for lighter work.  I've also used something called "The Brown Stuff" that's good for hard to clean machinery.  It's got a long list of things to stay away from though.  Sometimes I pre-treat with Gunk foaming spray.  I haven't found a single easy solution to the problem.

Like you said, hot water would be better, but I don't have that in my tool box either.
HM126

Southside

The silver water fire extinguishers make great degreaser applicators. The stuff will foam like mad coming out under pressure and gets into all the nooks and crannies.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Welp, thats that.  EZ bake oven cleaner destroys the worst baked on tar grade grease and dirt goo.   Purple power had nothin on ez bake.  Just gotta be careful not to breath it or get splattered, nasty caustic stuff. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

This engine was BLACK.  One coat of oven cleaner and one wash later

I think the original paint is real close to cat yellow, then someone put that fisher price highlighter coat on top.  

Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

CAT yellow is pretty close to Komatsu colors from that ear.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

sprucebunny

Looks great ! 
I'll have to remember the oven cleaner trick.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

GRANITEstateMP

What a difference, lots of degreasing and some fresh paint makes!  Mike that things gonna look so new, Komatsu may just send you a new payment book ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Well im hoping to pass the payment book to the next guy actually!

If i can flip it for a good profit i'll buy a bobcat 873 then sell my 742 and try to find another 6 way dozer with winch that needs work.  But if i cant get good enough money for this one im happy to keep it.  Great machine, and now im 5x more likely to jump under and keep it fixed since its not covered in grime.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!