iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I do with this monster WO

Started by hunz, October 09, 2013, 01:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunz

Well the title says it. I found an enormous white oak that seems to have passed away into the land of the greats a couple years back. Now I need advice as to how I can get the most value from it. When I saw it from a distance I wasn't sure what it was because it was so burled up. Should I slab it? Quarter

saw?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just curious, what is a estimated diameter?

We all work and live in different markets. If I had this log, I would probably advertise it and hopefully get a potential buyer to let me know how he wants it sawn.

This looks like a very unusual log with a lot of potential for a profitable sale and a good buy for a woodworker.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

My thought would be slab for a bookmatch with the burl edge as a live edge. Look at it carefully and decide the thickness, but at least 2". You will have to split the burl dead center for the best look. Those 2 pieces are your money. If it will be a table, then more matches for the ends/legs and a bottom beam for a trestle type table. I think you could make all the pieces needed just from the butt log. Somebody good could also get tree matched chairs out of the upper logs/branches. I'm imagining something really impressive at the end. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh yeah, almost forgot- CHA CHING!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

I think Mesquite knocked everything off my screen with all his $$ signs...  :snowball:

Hunz
Would like to know first if the tree has a solid center, or not. If not solid, then sawing suggestion would be quite different from
being solid and sound. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chep

1. Is it yours? I find trees on other peoples land that I want all the time ;D

2. Is it sound?  Look for cavities, hollows in root flairs etc. Hit is with a mallet. If its hollow you can tell. If you cant decide walk around a mallet some other trees... If not sound, is it worth cutting a veteran tree for some burls? On lots of log jobs that may be considered a wildlife tree.

3. So its sound, or you aren't worried bout that. Put it on the ground without ruining it. Looks like it has some lean and stresses.

4.  Get it out of the woods in as long of length as you can

5. Either find a buyer or know exactly what you are going to do with it before bucking it into lengths.

6. Report back with pictures

good luck

hunz

Thanks for all of the replies guys. The tree is on my family's 500 acre farm which is why I'm always finding new interesting trees. I haven't hammer thumped it yet to see if its hollow, so I guess it'd be a good place to start. I will get a diameter # tomorrow. I wish you guys could see this thing in person.....it really is a sight.

5quarter

Interesting log...I think I would contact a couple veneer mills or brokers who deal with the veneer mills to see if there's any interest. There are several specialty veneer mills that sell on the internet. They are always on the lookout for unusual cuts of wood. perhaps you can sell the burls and saw the rest for inventory. nice find. (edit...just saw your latest pic. By the time you cut and wax all the burls, there'll be nothing left for inventory ;))
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

qbilder

God bless our troops

chep

Bring a prybar and a good poker.  Check it out really well.  Dead trees are nasty to cut. I generally fell them in the direction of their lean if at all possible. Wood fibers degrade quickly and you have much less control than hinging live fiber. Also dont know if there is a crown, but just movement when felling can cause major dead limbs to fail... That is a big tree. Looks spectacular. Jealous that you even get to consider harvesting it.   Carefully

giant splinter

That tree looks lumpy, it may be of no value ...... I will send you my address and you can drop it off here free of charge  :D ;D , Just drop it right next to the mill.    smiley_whacko
roll with it

scsmith42

That's an interesting tree.  You are going to have a lot of reaction wood in it due to the lean. 

I don't think that I would QS all of it, but probably would QS the non burled sides and FS the burled areas.  Slabbing may be another good option.  Typically there is not as much demand for WO slabs as opposed to other species, but I'm thinking that it will yield some really pretty lumber.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Seaman

Hunz, I would be happy to help you if you want . FF discount apply's of course ;D
I am in Old Fort. We should meet anyway since we are so close.
I think SCSmith has the right idea! If you could get it here on a rollback or trailer, we can q/saw with the circle blade then slab the widest part.
Frank
828-442-7404
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I want to see the inside of that critter!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nk14zp

Quote from: giant splinter on October 09, 2013, 10:51:02 PM
That tree looks lumpy, it may be of no value ...... I will send you my address and you can drop it off here free of charge  :D ;D , Just drop it right next to the mill.    smiley_whacko
I'm closer. 8)
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

isawlogs

Always interesting to open up and have a looksee.. biggess issue is deciding where to put that first cut without screwing up any part of the log....  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

giant splinter

All kidding aside, it is a very nice tree with a huge amount of potential and you are in close proximity to Seaman and SCSmith42 who both do slabbing and custom sawing, I would recommend contacting both of those guys and taking taking a good look at that beautiful Oak.
Between the three of you I would expect the optimum in select and rare slabs as well as planking and detailed wood as the tree has a lot of character.
This is going to be a fun thread to follow and what a team you could set up to put it together ..... I hope you are able to get the best out of that log and put together a bunch of very nice finished projects with all of it.
Will be even neater if all three of you joined hands and applied all that expertise to this effort, good luck and keep us informed on your progress on this project ....... "Operation Tres Amigo's"    ;D 
roll with it

hunz

Well you guys have me seriously pumped up to get this thing under way. I took some measurements today. At the base she is 43" in diameter based on diameter calculations from circumference. At DBH it is 47", thanks to the burls. From what I can tell it is solid. The sapwood is obviously rotted, so the first inch in all around is bad, hopefully my hammer thump test is correct. We'll find out when we go to fall it! Seaman, I am on board for bringing the tree to you. I have a trip axle gooseneck for my 1 ton, so it shouldn't be too bad transporting it. I am getting a game plan together to get it out. I am about 80yds to a paved culdesac; My tree is 80yds downhill next to a small creek......should be interesting!

mesquite buckeye

Let us know how it goes. Photos, photos, photos. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!