iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My back yard

Started by Ron Wenrich, June 30, 2002, 09:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

We had a strom move through on Thursday evening.  Winds were estimated in the 90 to 100 mph range.  Here's my backyard.

We were pretty lucky.  20,000 were with out electric.  I was down only 5 hours.  Others will be down about 3 days.  Some roads will be impassable for 3-5 days due to debris.

Driving through the area showed plenty of wind damage.  Electric lines were snapped and laying on the ground.  A small airport was pretty well destroyed.  The American Legion lost it's roof, and a local ballfield had bleachers thrown into the middle of the field and the fence blown over.  No one was hurt.  This was not a tornado, but wind shear.

Norway spruce trees were snapped at about 10 ft. above the ground.  One guy had white pine with no branches.  A lot of maples and willows were hammered, shearing off their tops.

I had a pine tree in the front of the house, as well as a Norway spruce and red cedar that didn't even lose any branches.  The elm was about 100 ft away and limbs came crashing down on it.

It will take a couple of days to clear the debris, along with my trusty Husky.  I sure wish I had a swing blade mill.  I could have done a lot of business clearing big logs where they laid.   Now most of it has gone to firewood.

Well, back to work.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Paul_H

Now the work starts.Did the airport have planes flipped over,or was it building damage?Looks like you've got some nice trees around your place,glad they all weren't destroyed,and nobody was hurt.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

L. Wakefield

Today is July the 4th, and when I turned on the Weather Channel briefly this evening, I could NOT believe it. Maine never has tornados- but the whole state and surrounding was red with a tornado warning. Clouds were right for formation of a funnel cloud up over Cornish. I guess it was not sighted nor was there any touch down. We've been having scorching hot weather, but that was a real surprise. Nothing here yet- clouded up briefly but now the sun is out again. Temps were over 100* today.    

lw

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bro. Noble

Ron,

Hope your getting stuff cleaned up and back to normal.  Glad things weren't worse.  Near disasters kinda makes a guy realize whats really important in this old life.

LW,

Sounds just like your in Missery---------------or Oklahoma or Kansas!
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!