iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It works,well sorta

Started by hiya, August 21, 2005, 07:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiya

I got tired of getting enough money to get this saw going so I put a 4 hp lawn mower motor on to try it out.Now I know what I need to change. ::)

I know the guardes (sp) are missing. I have to figure how to make them to swing from one side to the other. The saw only cuts harzonal,like a band saw. I want to use it to take off the slabs,to help save blades ;D. Now all I need is a bigger motor :). And a few other things.
Richard
ps. Stop complaning about the heat, I'm loven it 8).
RichardinMd.

Gilman

Hiya,
I'd like to see it in person throwing chips.  8)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Ianab

Now if a guy were to get another engine and blade - and mount them horizontal and lined up with that blade  ??? :P

Other thing is blade type, how many teeth?
Most of the swingblades run between 3 and 8 teeth, depending on HP. Just cuts better .

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Lookin' good there, Hiya! 8) 8)   I can see some real ingenuity at work there.  It will sling sawdust, and that's what counts.  Keep at it and build from that base.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

How are you raising and lowering the unit on the risers?  I might just be blind. :-\
Frank Pender

NZJake

Look's like alot of unsupported shaft there... take care of yourself.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Dakota

I've got a 13 hp Honda engine(horizontal shaft) I'll sell ya.
Dave Rinker

D._Frederick

I agree with Jake, you have an awful lot of shaft between the saw and your bearings. I would not want to be around it if the saw gets stuck or if it starts to climb. Either the shaft is going to bend or your bearings are going to fail. If that saw starts to whip around, you would not want to standing close.

Your set-up may stand the power of the engine you now have on it, but I think you are asking for problems with a bigger engine with out having a bearing close to the saw blade.

Ernie

from the stack of wood in the background, it obviously works :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

DragonsBane

two engines running in close proximity to each other :o wow my ears hurt just thinking about it. two electric motors might be easier and cheaper, and definitely quieter. two five horse compresser duty electric motors should fill the bill. works out to be about equal to fifteen gas horsepower a piece I think.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

DragonsBane

quick search turned up this
Nice Small Link

sorrow don't know how to make a pretty little link thingie.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

hiya

OK!!! I got the phone line away from my daughter :). The shaft is 1 1/4' dia and it extends about 12" below the bearings. The blade on now is a 15" trim blade that I had. I wanted to see if it would work before I put money I don't have into a good blade ;D. I raise and lower the saw with 4 threded rods. I have sprockets on top and use a roller chain. I have a crank to turn them. I am looking for a 15 hp vertical shaft motor. When I get this saw working good than I am going to remodel my band saw. Learned too much after I built it.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Thank You Sponsors!