iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction and a big question. SHould I?

Started by mirage2521, January 18, 2015, 01:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirage2521

Hi Guys, seems like a great forum with some nice folks here.  I own a couple of acres in North West Florida with quite a few southern yellow pine.  They vary from 10-14 diameter to 20-24 diameter for a total of probably 30-40 trees.  Does this small amount of wood have any value?  Might it be worth buying a small mill and trying to make a few $$ and clear my land at the same time?  There is not enough to get a logger in to clear it,  They all seem to want 10 acres or more to make it worth their time and money. 

I would really appreciate any and all input. 

wetdog

It would probably be better to just get a portable sawyer to come and mill your trees after you fell them. I don't think you would make enough money to pay for a mill. But if you have been wanting to get a mill anyway, it's a good excuse to get one.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Mirage2521.  I agree with wetdog.  If you buy a bass boat, you will never catch enought fish to pay for it, either.  Buy a mill and enjoy yourself.  Build something on your place. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Might be a fun endeavor to get a mill, work up some of those trees, and pass the time making lumber. That is if you have such interest in knowing first hand what it would be like.
For some, no time like the present to find out.  ;D  That is if spending the kids money is no problem, as it may not be a 100% paying proposition.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tule peak timber

Having made my living off of a boat and then a sawmill,,,,,Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

thecfarm

mirage2521,welcome to the forum. I have a sawmill,I have a tractor,I have a chainsaw. I only saw for me. I have built only 3 out buildings with my mill,another maybe next year. It's not cheap to have all the above,but I am having fun!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mirage2521

Thanks guys, there seems to be no one around with a portable mill.  There is one member of this forum I have found.  I put out some feelers maybe he will respond.  One of my main goals is to get this land cleared,  Every one I have spoken with wants $$$ in the thousands to clear anything and I thought a mill might be a way to get rid of the wood.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Where are you located in north west florida?

RM Farm

Welcome to the FF mirage2521. I am doing just what you want to do. I bought an HM 126 mill from Woodland Mills, a sponsor on the left to clear trees from the 12 acres I live on. Planning to build a barn and some other out buildings. Should you decide to go that route, check them out.  :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

If there are no custom band saw mills in your area, you may have people calling you when they find out you have one.  I got my first mill when I was building my house with the idea of selling it when I was finished.  I did sell it... to get a bigger mill.  I'm now on my third mill, and enjoy it as much as ever.  Thecfarm brings up a good point.  There is much more to milling than the sawmill itself.  Tractor, couple of chain saws, cant hook, flatbed trailer, can all add up.  Even if you have to travel a bit, it would be worthwhile to find someone with a band mill who can show you the ropes.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Nomad

Quote from: mirage2521 on January 19, 2015, 01:00:46 AM
Thanks guys, there seems to be no one around with a portable mill.  There is one member of this forum I have found.  I put out some feelers maybe he will respond.  One of my main goals is to get this land cleared,  Every one I have spoken with wants $$$ in the thousands to clear anything and I thought a mill might be a way to get rid of the wood.

Mirage, welcome to the Forum!  There aren't a whole lot of portable millers here in Florida, but there are a few of us and there are a couple in your area.  For what you're talking about I don't think I'd be buying a mill unless you simply want to buy a mill!
     I'm not sure what you mean when you say "A way to get rid of the wood?"
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

PC-Urban-Sawyer

If you haven't already found him, @woodbowl is located in the Panhandle and does mobile sawing.

Thank You Sponsors!