iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

juicer

Started by Tom, December 13, 2008, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I broke my last juicer.  It is the one that got me started juicing vegetables from the refrigerator that were destined for the compost pile.  You know what I'm talking about, carrots and beets that start growing roots, celery hearts that are going limp.  I try to rejuvenate stuff like that, but it would invariably find its way to the garbage.  It used to make me feel so bad to be throwing out stuff that was still good, accept for the looks.

Well, I bought a juicer for $5 at Big Lots years ago.  What a steal, I thought. It's done me a pretty good job and I have found that I really love carrot juice.  Most of the stuff I drink has been based on carrot juice.  Then, a while back, it broke.  I was determined to fix it. I took it apart and nothing made sense.  In the cabinet it went.  Gael threatened to throw it out a thousand times.  "Don't you dare!  I'm going to fix it", I would say.  I never did, but I knew, also, that I wasn't going to pop for a knew one.

The other day, Gael came home with a new Oster Juicer.  I was elated.  I tried not to show my excitement (it's a male thing, you see) but I wanted to try it so bad.  Then, a few days later she came home with a bag of carrots that were meant for juicing. They were fresh, nothing wrong with them except that they were ugly and wouldn't sell.  So, they sold them cheap. 

Things happened and I never got around to trying the juicer.  Gael went out of town yesterday and I remembered the juicer today.  I got it out and ran some carrots and celery through it.  Wow!  I just thought I was juicing before.  This thing wrung every ounce of liquid out of the carrots.  The old juicer would have given me four or five swallows and this Oster filled up a drinking glass with the same amount of carrots.  I put a couple of stalks of celery in there to keep it from being too sweet. Oh-h-h, It's so good.

I'm going to go back in there and get some  more juiced and then clean it and put it up before I've ground up everything in the house.  8)

beenthere

Quote from: Tom on December 13, 2008, 04:11:14 PM
............I'm going to go back in there and get some  more juiced and then clean it and put it up before I've ground up everything in the house.  8)

Think ya can get it cleaned up enough that Gael doesn't notice you used it yet?  8) 8) 8)
That male thing, ya know... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I don't know.  I guess I need to try.  What I'm doing is trying to work up a big show of exhuberance and appreciation.  Gotta go get some more carrots though.  I used everything up. :-\

logwalker

You are right about the carrot juice. I used to drink so much my skin would begin to turn orange. Something to do with the keritin I think. Come to think of it I was real healthy back then too. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Haytrader

Pass me a glass of that carrot juice Tom.
I need a little perking up.

:-\
Haytrader

beenthere

Quote from: logwalker on December 13, 2008, 06:20:52 PM
You are right about the carrot juice. I used to drink so much my skin would begin to turn orange. Something to do with the keritin I think. Come to think of it I was real healthy back then too. Joe

Did ya hair start turnin green too?   8)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WildDog

Tom I like the carrot and cellery juice but these days add green apples as well, a cafe in our small town just started adding juices to the menu, vegetables and fruit. Friday I had strawberry, rasberry, blackberry, pineapple and accidently mango (I mean't to ask for watermellon), a large glass cost $6 this filled me up and is about what I spend on lunch if I'm in town.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Hey, I gotta try that to. I can't take that V-8 juice, the kind with tomato in it. My guts go in knots. You can guy V8 carrot juice though, but I don't trust a juice that has a shelf life of for ever in a  plastic jug.  ::) Carrots are about the cheapest vegetable grown, heck I can't grow'm for as cheap as I can buy'm.  :-\

Man I got real disgusted yesterday. All the extra fruit jam on the shelves has bean gum added to it. Why? I went over to the organic foods section and a bottle half the size, same brand, same price. Made me sick to my stomach.  Do these jam, yogart, ice cream companies have some kind of contract with bean growers to put that stuff in everything?

Nobody knows how to make decent food no more.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I had to go look. 

Bean gum might not be what you think.  It's not Navy beans, red beans or green bean that they add to those products, its Locust Bean Gum, a thickener that is soluable in hot water.  It comes from the Carob tree.

What the heck is a Carob tree?

How come corn starch or Arrow root won't work? 

It sure makes you wonder, when you sit down to a big serving of Hop'n John, if the rice came from China, the blackeyes from India and the onion from Africa.

SwampDonkey

That's just one of'm. Guar bean is another, and I seen two more kinds in the same product. But mostly locust bean gum in the jam. Now why add any of that sh...stuff to start with?  ::) Heck, I'll eat agar or jello if they need to stiff'n it. What is the good of fruit pectin if it don't jell. Must be old and expired. Hooey!!  :-X

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well with my renewed enthusiasm for a small garden, the raised beds I put together, I want to get me a juicer. I have never looked for one in the stores. What is ball park prices for such a beast?

Fla._Deadheader

Used Acme's in thrift stores for $30.00 more or less. You will never wear it out 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Slabs

I'm glad my juice comes from Milwaukee.  Viva Wisconsin.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

woodmills1

I got an old braun I love to death, but was quite expensive back then.  fresh carrot juice is so good.  ever taste the canned carrot juice from years ago yuk yuk.  And now you get me on brussle sprouts, hated them from the store a thousand years ago, but from the garden they are instant lunch and tasty, not to mention ifin ya lets them freeze.........sweet
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CHARLIE

I've seen an infomercial by Jack Lulane (I don't know if that's how you spell his last name) selling his juicer that is supposed to be the best juicer in the world. I don't know how much he's charging though but it leaves just dry pulp because it squeezes out so much juice.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don K

They do make it look like the way to go.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Local WalMart has a Juicer, forget the brand, it's $99.00. Just took a quick look today. Got lots of time to look around over the next few weeks. Some fresh, new, littl, sweet carrots would make some tasty juice wouldn't it? ;D

Can ya juice some bell peppers in with it? It contains Vitamin C. I'll be testing all kinds of concoctions no man ever dare drink. :D

deutz4

The same guy that sells you the juicer comes back the next day pushing a fiber pill. The next day he's back again telling you that the key to a long life is a colon cleanse.

SwampDonkey

:D :D I swear it, that guy sounds like the one I used to see years ago on PBS during their canvassing for members.  I know I seen a fellow not long ago talking about his colon cleanse and he is the same guy I remember on PBS. SOme of these guys calling themselves doctors, just have an honorary degree and no real doctor at all. :D :D

That character that was pushing his book on natural remedies is now a financial expert pushing his new book on finance and investment.  :D :D

isawlogs

SwampDonkey
    Its all relative , he made it big conning some innocents to buy his naturals remedies book , now he will write how to make a bundle with others moneys . The same peolpe who bought book 1 ... will buy second book and claim him as a genius .  ::)  ::)

donkey
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

StorminN

Quote from: WildDog on December 14, 2008, 03:57:49 AMTom I like the carrot and cellery juice but these days add green apples as well,

My favorite is carrot / apple / ginger... worth a try!

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

scgargoyle

I hope all you guys drinking the carrot juice are pounding down a few donuts to keep your system in balance. I don't think my system could take all that healthiness.....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

For me, it's more to do with using stuff up. But, I will find out real quick if my concoctions are any good. First sign of my guts going into knots will be the end of that. :D

Handy Andy

Hey Donkey, my wife bought that book on all the health remedys the guy was hawking on TV, and it isn't worth a darn.  Really just a great sales job on a book with hardly any info.  But the last one of his infomercials I saw, he had all these beautiful girls talking about his financial book.  Noticed one was labeled as a playboy chick.  Kind of makes his infomercial worth looking at.  But I'm not buying.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

SwampDonkey

Even Stompin' Tom Connors has an Honorary Doctorate in Laws.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!