iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a Nyle, chamber questions

Started by brdmkr, May 28, 2008, 12:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

We (wife and myself) have decided to move forward with the purchase of a DH kiln.   I have access to an 18 foot insulated truck body for not too much money, BUT it is in pretty bad shape (would need alot of door work to seal up properly, and sheet metal would need to be replaced on the ceiling) and the insulation is only a couple of inches thick.  Maybe I would be better off to keep looking for an insulated body, but they seem to be fairly rare around here.

I am also considering buying a shipping container, building a shed around it, and insulating the shed.  Basically, I would be wripping the container with insulation and then building a shed over it.  My thinking is that the shipping container would be tighter and I could insulate it more thoroughly than the insulated body.

Finally, I could just build a chamber.  However, with this route, I'd be concerned that I could not get things to seal up properly and I could see this being the most costly route.   

For those of you who are running Nyles what would you recommend?  I will be buying the L200 (at least I think that is what Bailey's sells.  Is that correct?). 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Brad_S.

If you build it to the specs Nyle sends you, IMO, building is the only way to go. I've always wondered how a container/reefer, with the small amount of insulation in the walls, could be anywhere near as tight as a built one. By the time you buy a container, modify it, mount the unit and build a cart, you could have built a tight chamber.
Just my 2ยข.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scsmith42

Ditto Brad's advice - I've got a shipping container kiln.  If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a stick built setup per Nyle's plans.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

brdmkr

I just ordered a set of plans.  Most of the time, I try to get by as cheaply as possible.  That philosophy has worked for me a number of times, but I have begun to notice that it only works out OK when I have done all of my homework.  It sounds like a stick built chamber may be the best route to take.  Thanks for the advice.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

OneWithWood

I found it was not too hard to make a very tight chamber using the Nyle plans.  I did modify my chamber to load from both ends but other than that it is by the book Nyle.

check out page seven of this thread for the entire build

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,1400.120.html

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

brdmkr

Thanks OWW.  I would be very happy if I could duplicate that.  What are the dimensions? 

DR Buck

Brdmkr,

I went the truck body route.  I have about $1200 in it total, excluding the Nyle DH unit. Most of the cost was the insulation panels.   Here is the link to my kiln.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17322.0.html

I also recently purchased an aluminum insulated container to store my dry lumber in.  It was a refridgerated box in it's prior life.  Here is the linkto the unit I bought. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,31436.msg453962.html#msg453962   It's been painted and is now full of lumber.  I'll get updted photos next week.  Cost delivered was $2875.   If I had to do it again, I'd buy a 40' sea container like my 20 footer.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Danny Dimm

I built a stick building. It works ok. If I did it again though I may go with sip's. I would also have the door on the long side so I could load it with my skidsteer. No need for carts then.

OneWithWood

Interior dimensions are 13'x21' or thereabouts.  8' ceiling.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

David Freed

My kiln is stick built. I went against conventional design and used 2x8 walls with 2 layers of 3 1/2" faced fiberglass insulation, with metal for the outside. In the winter there is frost on the metal with the kiln at full temp, so it can work if you seal it good.

Don_Lewis

It isn't a good idea to use a standard container at all. If you use a container, buy a reeefer. A little more expensive to buy but a lot less than trying to insulated a standard unit

Thank You Sponsors!