iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Req Opinions On Swisher Log Splitters

Started by plaindriver, October 08, 2012, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plaindriver

I am about to pull the trigger on a new log splitter. I am seriously considering the Swisher 34ton H/V elect start. I live on 5 ac in Crossville, Tn. Have lots of downed trees in area, plus I have over three acres of thick woods that have never been harvested. This will be for my own personal consumption only. We have two fireplaces in the house. Thanks in advance.
PS: The best deal I can find is for $1750, Out The Door, incl deliv.

http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/Gas-Wood-Splitters/34-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitters/Swisher-34-Ton-12.5HP-Electric-Start-Log-Splitter
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

clww

I don't know about that brand, but that sounds like a good price IF it is really 34 tons. We've talked about splitter ratings on this area before, and the consensus was that they are rated higher than they actually produce. That being said, I bought a 26 ton Huskee splitter, and it has split everything I've tried it on. Some weekends, I have run it a solid 10 hours a day.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

I sold Swisher at one time, their 22 ton was the only gas drive we could sell for under 2 grand which seemed to be the magic number for consumers. Most splitters are very similar, as long as it has brand name hydraulics and engine pretty hard to go wrong. There are units with knock off engines and cheap fittings with odd ball threads so be aware.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I only have a 6.5 hp 27 ton. That should do whatever you want and than some.  WOW. I've never stalled mine out yet. A few times I was kinda shearing the wood instead of splitting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Since most splitters are an assembly of readily available components, I see no problem.  That is a large engine for sure.  Be sure to give us an update.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

muddstopper

That Swisher looks pretty much like every other log splitter of that type on the market. I suspect similar performance as other brands.

Here is my biggest complaint about that type of splitter. Number one, the splitting wedge is only 7.5 inches high. If you are splitting small wood this is fine, but if you are splitting large dia wood, these short wedges tend to just canopen the split and leave the two halves stuck together. You've endup with a half way split piece of heavy wood instead of 2 smaller lighter half sticks.

Second complaint is the small foot used to hold the wood in place for the wedge. Again, if you are splitting large dia wood, and the wedge just canopens the split, you end up with a large peice of wood to turn and resplit and half the split not setting on the end block. These two reasons are why I build my own splitter. I have a 24in tall adjustable 4way blade with a 16in tall push block. I can cleanly split a 24in dia split in 4 pieces and only handle the log one time. I use a 4in dia cylinder and havent found anything it wont split, includeing double knots and forks. Large bore cylinder splitters with such little splitting blades are just overkill and a marketing ploy. Nice to own one, but not really necessary.

thecfarm

muddstopper,that's what I need. When i brought my splitter I was only splitting small stuff for a wood stove. Now I have the OWB I can get rid of my dead pine and I split some bigs ones. It happens just the way you say too. I just keep spitting chunks out of it.But I put up with it. I doubt I could put another wedge on top of the one I have, just don't want to destroy the splitter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

You should be happy with it, ran a few 22 ton models, one had the honda engine the other has the briggs, both spit just fine, even 30+ inch with crotches and knots. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Spalted Dog

I own the 28 ton  7 hp briggs Swisher.  I have had it for 3+ years.  I have raised the wedge and added a table and would like a larger foot as stated above.  I have a 4 way wedge for it, but only use it on straight grained stuff.  Split everything I have set on it. 
The older I get the less I used to know.

Dodgy Loner

I have no opinions on any log splitters, so I can't help you, but when I saw the title of this thread on the main page it showed up as: "Req Opinions On Swis..." I glanced at it quickly and saw "Red Onions on Swiss" and thought, "Now why wasn't this under the food section?" ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

muddstopper

Quote from: thecfarm on October 09, 2012, 08:00:16 PM
muddstopper,that's what I need. When i brought my splitter I was only splitting small stuff for a wood stove. Now I have the OWB I can get rid of my dead pine and I split some bigs ones. It happens just the way you say too. I just keep spitting chunks out of it.But I put up with it. I doubt I could put another wedge on top of the one I have, just don't want to destroy the splitter.

I dont know how adding another wedge on top of the current one would destroy the splitter. In fact, it wouldnt even have to be a wedge, it could simply be a thin narrow blade, anything to seperate the two halves from each other.

Maybe I just need top get another red onion on swiss sandwich and rethink all of this :D

Slab Slicer

So as not to bury this thread with a similar question, I figured I'd add to it. I currently own this Iron & Oak model. 

http://www.ironandoak.com/itemdetailpage.php?itemid=10410&offset=0&mode=category&categoryid=3&parentid=103&searchtext= 

I ran a slightly older version of the same splitter as a rental, and like it so much, that I bought what I thought was the same one. They aere all from the same rental fleet, and had little hours on them. Turns out that the one I got just doesn't seem to have the same paower as the one I originally rented. The shop that sold it to me said that the company changed the pump on the later models, so they purchased what they said was the original style pump, and installed it at no cost. It did work a bit better, but still does not have the same "grunt" of the one that I originally rented.

I guess my question at this point is, Does anyone have any experience with Iron & Oak splitters, and what a fix may be for my unit.

Thanks for all the help
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

thecfarm

muddstopper.I'm a thinking.  :o   It's just about split,so maybe not that much would be needed.

North River Energy

QuoteI ran a slightly older version of the same splitter as a rental, and like it so much, that I bought what I thought was the same one. They aere all from the same rental fleet, and had little hours on them. Turns out that the one I got just doesn't seem to have the same paower as the one I originally rented. The shop that sold it to me said that the company changed the pump on the later models, so they purchased what they said was the original style pump, and installed it at no cost. It did work a bit better, but still does not have the same "grunt" of the one that I originally rented.

I guess my question at this point is, Does anyone have any experience with Iron & Oak splitters, and what a fix may be for my unit.

All other things being equal, perhaps a previous 'knowledgeable' user changed the relief valve setting on the original rental unit?

Verify your own settings, then affect according to the working pressures of your hoses, fittings, etc.

Slab Slicer

Quote from: North River Energy on October 10, 2012, 11:11:28 PM
QuoteI ran a slightly older version of the same splitter as a rental, and like it so much, that I bought what I thought was the same one. They aere all from the same rental fleet, and had little hours on them. Turns out that the one I got just doesn't seem to have the same paower as the one I originally rented. The shop that sold it to me said that the company changed the pump on the later models, so they purchased what they said was the original style pump, and installed it at no cost. It did work a bit better, but still does not have the same "grunt" of the one that I originally rented.

All other things being equal, perhaps a previous 'knowledgeable' user changed the relief valve setting on the original rental unit?

Verify your own settings, then affect according to the working pressures of your hoses, fittings, etc.

No setting on the relief valve. No adjustments anywhere on it. Already checked that route.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

muddstopper

Quote from: thecfarm on October 10, 2012, 08:53:35 PM
muddstopper.I'm a thinking.  :o   It's just about split,so maybe not that much would be needed.

My 24in log wedge is just a peice of 1 in thick plate steel. I personally dont believe in those big thick wedges that are supposed to "pop" the wood apart. The thinner knife wedge slices whatever wont bust

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27994/0610121219~0.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/27994/0610121308~0.jpg

thecfarm

muddstopper,A very nice rig you have for splitting wood and than some. I like the adjustable spiltter,a very good idea. That would be a big time saver. I just don't have the smarts to do all that. I'm just about to start splitting my big pine. I have a big pile to split.Just like I said,I'm a thinking. May take me a few tries to get it right. just like I said,would not take much,it's just about split the first time.

beenthere

muddstopper
Would be great to see a video of that splitter in operation.

Any chance?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

muddstopper

Quote from: beenthere on October 11, 2012, 09:40:44 PM
muddstopper
Would be great to see a video of that splitter in operation.

Any chance?

Might take a while for the video, I'm still trying to figure out posting regular pics.
The boom on the splitter I broke off trying to pick up a 18inx14ft oak log. My choice of a car spindle for the swivel at the bottom was a poor choice. Or maybe my picking up the log in the first place was a poor choice, but I just had to see if the boom would do it. Oh well!

I will say I never have to run the splitter at full throttle and it will work three people pretty hard keeping it fed. I designed the splitter at the rear of the trailer so that as the wood piles up off the splitting wedge, I simply just pull the machine ahead a few feet and keep splitting. I eventually will add a tray to catch the split wood and maybe a conveyor. Right now without the boom, the machine is rear heavy so I have to keep it connected to the tow vehicle to do any splitting.  I dont split wood to sell, I usually give away wood to those that help me split, but they mostly just get enought to burn in their outside fire pits or to put in their smokers. Right now I am gathering parts to build a wood processor. (This forum is ruining me  ;)) I have the saw parts and a 58hp diesel engine. I am still looking for a 36in stoke cylinder so I can split boiler wood. My wood for this year is already split and under the shed so I'll just keep waiting on bargains to popup and purchase parts as I go.

beenthere

Videos are easy to put on YouTube. Just register and click on upload. Then just link to your post when YouTube is done.

Sorry to hear the boom broke.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Handymark

I have a swisher 22 ton and it handles what I throw at it. I can not imagine ever needing something that big.

Al_Smith

Tonnage ratings are highly exagerated by most splitter manufacturers .Do a Google using surplus center hydraulics calculator .I tried a link but it wouldn't take .

If you use a 4 inch cylinder and 2900 LBS hydraulic pressure you will see they are off by about 10 tons on those 28 ton ratings .BTW most 3000 lb pumps are actually rated at 2900 more or less .

A 5 inch verses a 4 inch is not really over kill .With a 5 and a higher volume pump using a few more HP to drive it you are not working the system nearly as hard and thus the system should be less prone to failure .

For example my 11 HP homebuilt with a 5 inch runs at exactly the same speed as my friends 4 inch with an 8 HP engine because of the higher volume pump .However his cylinder pump etc. will get hot and mine does not .Heat is the number one killer of a hydraulic system .

Now this is not to say there is anything wrong with a 4 inch and 6 HP because they will split most anything .Just clarification on tonnage ratings .

giant splinter

I have been using a 6 ton DR Products electric splitter for the last 7 years and have always been happy with the results, this very small sized splitter is not capable of dealing with any large volume of firewood or any large diameter logs so I wind up having to hand split the big stuff and then deal with it. The table that comes with these is wide enough to provide a good working area without spilling the unfinished parts of the job. I like to keep it around the mill and split the slabs into stove cut wood as this is a handy way to clean up the mill work area and at the same time stock up my stove cut rack. A few months ago I had the opportunity to see the Logrite Kinetic Energy Splitter in action and was very impressed by the workflow and speed of this type of log splitter along with all the optional extras that Logrite has available it is a true firewood processing station. This type of splitter is very quick and productive and if you look at DR Products website you can see the video that when compared with a 34 ton splitter they look to be in fact more productive. Although you cannot stand it on end to handle a very large log it has a work deck large enough to hold one on the deck and split it. The cycle time is 3 seconds so the productivity is high at the least, I am not a fan of crashing rack and pinion gears together to transfer energy but they are claiming that this is practical and the gears hold up over thousands of cords of splitting while admitting that you will be replacing the gears at some point. Price wise these type of splitters are typically a little more money, but if you want to split two cords of wood in an hour then the Kinetic Energy Splitters are the answer and while the hydraulic splitter is finishing up you can already have dusted off your rig and two beers.
roll with it

Al_Smith

I've got a little splitter with a 4" beam 3.5 inch cylinder knife edge  cutter now ran off a 5 HP rated electric .It was 5 HP Briggs and Stratton at one time .In reality it's 2.8 HP by the amp draw .Lays horizontally on the ground with go-kart tires on the back .While it is tiny that little thing will split 36" oak rounds .

It's got a single stage pump so you can stall it but not all that often .

My wifes cousin is using it at the moment .It's not extremely fast but it beats swinging an axe for sure .I split 7 cords of wood with that little rascal a few years back and it didn't take all that long .

So once again often times size really doesn't matter depending on the application .

chopper888

I have a 34 ton Swisher with the Briggs motor.  It is about 6 or 7 years old.  Mine did not have the electric start option, so I put a starter on it.  That was a huge improvement.  Otherwise, I have been very happy with it.  I heat with wood and we split a lot of oak, hedge, hickory and locust and it does great.  There have been some logs so large that we push them in with a tractor while the splitter is vertical.  I agree with the wedge comment though.  It would be nice to have a larger and/or adjustable wedge.  Also, this one doesn't have the guard at the top, so if you get a log stuck, you have to manually remove it.  Some of my friends have units that have a guard up at the top where the wedge retracts into, thus pulling the wedge out of the log if it is stuck.  This is a nice feature.  Overall, I would recommend this unit.  However, electric start is a must IMO.  If you don't have electric start, then I hope you can disengage your pump.  Pull-starting and engine at -10 degrees while pumping cold hydraulic fluid is not fun! 
Timberjack 230D
Tree Farmer C7D Grapple/Cable
Stihl MS660, 066, MS390, MS192t
Case 580C
Kubota 2350
Central Boiler CL 5036

WSD

Swisher does make good products.  American made and they can compete price wise with the imports that are coming in.  $1650 delivered for a 34 ton is hard to beat.

Thank You Sponsors!