iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your wood-hauling truck

Started by JuniperBoss, January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST Ranch

Now don't LAUGH TOO HARD! - Use this little trailer on a daily basis and tow it with a small 4 track. Most of the time I get my firewood for my own stove out back on the north 40. I have a lot of white spruce that is dead and standing or blown down from old age. I usually get a full load of rounds on the trailer [about 1/4 of a cord], but during the spring on nice days [today was sunny and 45° F] I get a small jag on the return trip from dumping horse shavings from cleaning the barn [tubs up front].
I then locate the splitter next to the woodpile [or shed door], pull up a round for a seat and split the rounds as I off load and pile them in one process.
Trailer in the background is a 7 x 12 hydraulic dumper that I use to haul my mill edgings to those who use them for firewood.

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

JuniperBoss

An atv and a trailer is a good way to do it, especially in rough or slick terrain. I don't have one so I have to get the wood in ideal conditions, with 2wd pickups. I like the pickup though, because they can haul a good pile of wood.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

g_man

JuniperBoss

I like that :). Like your tractor and shed too. Looks like you got a nice place.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

thecfarm

ST Ranch,I use to haul a trailer like that behind the wife's small tractor. I think mine trailer is shorter. I had to brace it up some. I finally built a trailer for me to use. Those small trailers can haul alot. Everyone I know that has one abuses the poor thing. I can get around in some of my woods much better with the small tractor than the big one. The big one I have to make a road for it and cut trees to get it around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plumbstraight

Here are a few of my toys.  The truck is a 72 F700 that was a firetanker that I remodeled with that bed and put a 14T hoist in it.  The quad trailer is homemade and doubles as a dump flatbed and a logging arch.  I built one of these back in the 70's for a tractor and it worked well so did one for my quad.  The splitter used to run off the pto, but changed it out for the independent engine.  As you can see picking up those big ones is a breeze.  I have had blocks in the 6' size. Sure beats have to use a chainsaw to work them down or bounce a sledge on a wedge. 

I tried to download some pics, guess there is another way I am not aware of.

plumbstraight

this is odd, says I cannot upload photos

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

This is how I get firewood out of the woods, if I am just cutting a small amount. I'll take it to the splitter and then stack the splits in it to take to the firewood shed.

It is a lot easier to transport than a trailer, and I can go more places with the tractor than I can with a truck. (and it's a lot easier on the back to load/unload ;) )

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

Much easier than having a trailer on the back.Or at least in my woods it would be a lot easier.

Corley5

The old girl must steer extra easy with that weight on the back  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tyb525

She's young enough to have power steering :D I often have to use the brakes to steer on slick ground, with that kind of load on the back. I haven't had the wheels come off the ground yet, but it's enough to make them skid rather than steer.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mike_belben

Im wanting to see some more wood fetchers to get ideas from.  

I dragged this home in some trading recently and am setting it up for retrieving and delivering firewood.  Its an 84 F250 with 351/c6/bw1356 and 3.54 sterling 10.25 / TTB front with twist hubs, both welded.  

I pulled the 42s and put on some 1st gen humvee rubber ive had for years.  Its a lot happer on the 36s and steers lock to lock now without any rubbing.  

Need to build a dump flatbed with headache rack, removeable sides and toolboxes.  
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

i bought one like that new in 84. the ifs is prone to breaking on the drivers side. mine had the 351 ho. 4bbl holley roller timing chain different cam

GRANITEstateMP

This is my Load Trail dump trailer.  We usually process right into the trailer. Most of the time we do 1 cord loads, 16in wood goes to the bottom of the wood boards with a little hump in the middle (thats a cord), 18in, a little bigger hump, 22-24in wood needs to be at the top of the 2x4's that hold the side boards.

I've put 1.5 (thrown) cord on without a problem, and stacked 2 cord (dry) for a longer delivery, trailer hauls it, just need to have enough truck!  I've moved plenty of logs with it too.  Usually cut them about 11ft and load either with my tractor and grapple bucket or my buddys excavator with hyd. thumb.

Pretty sure she's a 2013, I actually bought it new, on it's second set of tires.  I've had to repair the gate a few times, but that was ALL MY FAULT!  I oiled her underside real good when I bought her, also had the fenders both LineX-ed.  All the used trailers I looked at the fenders were rotting off, figured an once of prevention...  Also keep it greased up.  She'll need a repaint in another year or two, better to keep it looking decent...

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Forgot to add the Wife's Uncle's 85 International Truck.  He got it last year from a neighboring town.  They took pretty good care of it.  It's got a DT466 (I think it's got the turbo), and a 5speed with 2speed rear, and central hydraulics.  We pull a sideboard off to load. If we stack the headboard with 16in wood, I can run the rest straight in and get a cord in her easy enough.  He let's me borrow it when I've got "free help" and long delivery's, sure is nice to have 2 delivery's ready to go at once!  She doesn't even notice the cord when it's loaded, or the cord and a half!  Just used for local stuff.

It also has a front plow and wing plow.  He used the front plow all last season, still haven't mounted the wing, which may be a good thing for my mailbox...

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

Nice trailers, i'll build one someday when i get all my junk moved down.  All my steel plate is at my dads.   

Speaking of oil undercoating, one of my best friends up there in central mass does a mobile undercoating business.  He will come to you, winch it up onto a wedge trailer, airblast and spray whatever the stuff NH oil undercoaters sells.  Its not paint and not oil.. Some kinda paraffin wax and oil blend i think so it seeps in and never hardens.  He has gone as far as maine for group sprays.   PM me if any interest. 

I will look at that front axle a bit closer for cracking when i get back under there to finish motor oiling.  Im soaking the balljoints a few times before they have to get changed.  Thanks for the heads up. 
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Mike,

The NH oil undercoat stuff works great! My buddy did the wife and father in laws rigs today. It soaks in and kinda spreads.  I've seen guys doing the sprays on trailers before, they are better than me, I'd get more on me than I'd get on the truck!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Ed

mike_belben

How much loose wood can that mason dump hold?   8ft bed?
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Corley5 on November 25, 2018, 09:49:35 AM
8) 8) 8) 8)Good looking old Dodge
Good looking old Ford Tractor too! ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!