iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unique firewood operation

Started by r.man, March 02, 2013, 10:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I think I am going to start doing some searches by country of origin. A friend is looking at a processor in Italy and emailed a couple of tech questions to me so I searched " Italian firewood processor " and got a whole different bunch of video's that included this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H8K5CgrmgQ
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

giant splinter

Very productive but labor intensive, I would not want to have my hands that close to any power tool when there is such a beautiful young lady helping  feed the conveyor hopper ........ I like my fingers right where they are, she might want to shake hands or give me a high five so I just cant see responding with less than a full batch ;D
Interesting methods and I hope you can post more of your findings on this subject, I suspect there are many members that are always looking for ways to improve their productivity.
roll with it

DaleK

Yeah I can't see me using a bandsaw like that... the adjustable wedge is pretty interesting.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

beenthere

The operator of the saw should have the nickel mesh gloves (if he doesn't already) used by the meat cutters that will prevent the accidental loss of fingers or a hand. Looks worse when the video is played back faster than recorded.
Labor intensive, and small pieces. But suspect they are high enough value to warrant the extra work. Those sizes (under 4" diam) stay in the woods for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I can't possibly see how I would get through a day of that job without cutting off my hand :(
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseherder

[quote  link=topic=64731.msg965590#msg965590 date=1362246293]
The operator of the saw should have the nickel mesh gloves (if he doesn't already) used by the meat cutters that will prevent the accidental loss of fingers or a hand. Looks worse when the video is played back faster than recorded.
Labor intensive, and small pieces. But suspect they are high enough value to warrant the extra work. Those sizes (under 4" diam) stay in the woods for me.
[/quote]

Actually, wearing any type glove when working on a bandsaw is a very unsafe act.  We teach and enforce that behavior for standard operating procedures especially for the mesh gloves.  If any portion of the glove came into contact with the bandsaw blade it would pull their hand into it.
Anytime we see someone with a knife in their hand is when we want to see the mesh glove.  That doesn't always happen but years of coaching it means you see compliance more often than not.

beenthere

Ooops!
That makes sense. I did know regular leather or cloth gloves around saw blades was not good.

Been awhile since I was in a packing plant and saw the mesh gloves, but they were pushing hams through a band at a fast pace. Prolly don't do that anymore.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

If I were going to operate that saw I would want some sort of pusher and more guarding. Having said that, the fellow in it seemed to be smooth and fast. Must be a fairly common set up, saw another one that was a demo with a similar machine, band with a splitter mounted beside it.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

muddstopper

I'm with rman on this. I would want some sort of pusher to make sure my fingers didnt get wacked off. One could use something like is used for cutting slabs in a buck saw, heck anything that wold keeps hands and blade seperated would be better than what they are doing now. Otherwise, seems to be a pretty fast setup.

gspren

As an old machinist the first thing I saw was NO safety glasses! I also agree with not wearing gloves on a bandsaw with teeth, we sometimes used a diamond saw band for glass or ceramics and then the gloves were ok. It also has to be very noisy so in a commercial operation it would flip OSHA out!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

HOLY COW
I'm surprised that there is no dried blood anywhere on the machine.
must be cook stove wood by the size of the finished pieces.
Powerful motor too as the saw doesn't even grunt when cutting the bigger pieces.
My take is that the crew was moving faster than in normal operation to show off the capability of the processor.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

leonz

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on March 04, 2013, 10:48:44 AM
HOLY COW
I'm surprised that there is no dried blood anywhere on the machine.
must be cook stove wood by the size of the finished pieces.
Powerful motor too as the saw doesn't even grunt when cutting the bigger pieces.
My take is that the crew was moving faster than in normal operation to show off the capability of the processor.

I hope all is well in Cayuga County and
the ground is still frozen.

I am not looking forward to the warming trend the
weather wizards say is coming our way as I have to
deal with a lot of mud normally.

In this video they are making firewood
from clear cut second or third growth
hardwoods and using it for a pizza parlors
wood fired oven.

I would imagine by the age of the combination saw
and splitter  they have been using small diameter slash
for along time to make firewood for the Pizza ovens
as the shed is almost full of it.

There is not that much large diameter hardwood in Italy as
they used a lot of wood for heat during and after the war.

8)

Thank You Sponsors!