iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling with full skip

Started by boboak, November 29, 2005, 11:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boboak

I want to use my 066 to mill a few timbers,mostly 6x6 cedar.  I'll probably get the Beam Machine for a guide and was wondering if skip tooth will give a decent cut instead of investing in milling chain.  I'm not looking for a perfectly milled surface...just rough full dimension posts ???
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

1953greg

with an 066 milling 6x6 post it wont matter what chain you use if finish doesnt matter. 

unless you are milling some wide cuts (18+) that 066 will pull any chain.

i mill 36" oak slabs (42" bar) w/ an 066 w/ standard round chisel chain w/ cutters sharpened to 10* (bailey's rip chain).  the standard round chisel leaves a smoother finish.   bailey's rip chain is bout 3 cents/dl more and already sharpened to 10*.  but the chain you already have is free.

good day   1953greg

good day    greg

solodan

The price of a ripping chain loop will more than pay for itself on you're first 6x6. or if you have lots of extra chains, file the cutters to an angle less than 10 degrees. the difference of a ripping chain is amazing.

Al_Smith

You can mill with about any sharp chain,depends on how smooth you want it.Even with full comp chisel it will be smoother than a circle mill.An 066 would be about as small as I would recommend for ripping,it takes some grunt.

weimedog

I've been using a 3/8 skip chisel ground at 5 degrees with good results. Most of what I mill
is 28inch to 32inch wide hardwood maple planks. Sometimes that gummy Ash.

Bigger is better for saws. Torque rules pulling the big cuts. My Old 797 does the trick.
Also having enough chain oil for the LONG cuts might determine is a saw is right. Again the
Anchient  Mac does well there for me. I can go two planks @ 14-15ft long before having to
replenish fluids. Auxilery oilers are available for the "handle" end of those Alaskan Mills.
Can't emphisize enough the need for a WIDE powerband with torque as you bull through
those logs. Big HP with Narrow Power Band means lots of stalls and backing off to get back
on the power band again. I like to just push through and not worry about stalling...hence
Big Cubic Inches with good power and lots of torque. Hard Freaking work other wise.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!