iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying logs

Started by davidstimson, February 03, 2011, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidstimson

I am a wooden boatbuilder who lives in midcoast Maine.  Until recently, I have always bought my lumber from local mills.  However, I just bought a Thomas #8020 bandmill, and it is working so well that I would like to start milling a lot more of my own stock.  My question is: how does one go about getting hooked up with loggers in order to purchase logs? Is there an online list or a printed one? I will be mostly looking for white oak, locust, red spruce and white pine.

David
Thomas 8020 bandmill w/rigid track, trailer rig & 10' extension
1991 Dodge Ram 3500 w/ Cummins Diesel & 10,000# winch on Reese hitch
Husky 450
2 big peavys
2 sturdy sons
1 box Wheaties
1 keg Guinness

snowstorm

bill m

Welcome to the FF. A lot of good people on here. The state should have a list of loggers in your area. Get the names of some of the local loggers from that list and contact them. I don't think you are looking for a large volume so expect to pay more. As for locust contact some of the local tree services. Locust in the northeast is not something you find in the forest that much.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ron Scott

Check with your local Conservation District Forester, DNR Service Forester, Extension Service, and Consulting Foresters for a listing or bidders list of loggers in your area who can provide the species you need.
~Ron

snowstorm

what part of the midcoast?what kind of boats? i dont have any white oak pine sp cedar i do have

woodmills1

I get some logs you may want

woodmills.com   James Mills

PM for phone
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

davidstimson

I am in Boothbay.  Right now, my boys and I are rebuilding a 56' Alden schooner, and we are also designing and building two schooners of our own design - one 43' and one 50'.  It's good to be busy....

There is a local forester I can talk to for a list of loggers.  Yes, I am interested in cedar.

David
Husky 450
2 big peavys
2 sturdy sons
1 box Wheaties
1 keg Guinness

CX3

Welcome to the forum David.  Boat building sounds pretty neat.  But around here we dont believe anything until we see some pictures ;D So lets see some boats ;D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

davidstimson

OK - here's a little 36' schooner we designed and built a few years ago.  Unfortunately, she was destroyed on a breakwater in a storm last summer because of negligence on the part of her captain.  The 43 footer we are building is to replace this one....

This is my first time trying to post a pic, so hope it works

David
Husky 450
2 big peavys
2 sturdy sons
1 box Wheaties
1 keg Guinness

nas

That is a beautiful boat David!! 
I have found that getting logs is one of the toughest parts of my business.  Many loggers are hooked up with mills they like to deal with, so they don't sell much too others.  If you don't buy in large quantities you will pay more than the bigger mills do, which I do understand.  It takes some time to develop a network of contacts.  Talk to foresters, or log truck drivers, to get names of loggers.  Some are easier to work with than others.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

thecfarm

davidstimson,welcome to the forum.I have a Thomas too.Bought a 6020,20hp can cut a 20 foot log on it about 6-7 years ago.A very simple machine. I can move my bunks to cut stove wood length size wood if needed.Sounds like you want to cut some long logs with a 10 foot extension on your mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

here in oklahoma and for me it seems to be the toughest part of sawmilling. loggers want to be able to take their logs in, be unloaded,scaled,paid all in short order. wanting just 1 species or even just having no use for 1 species will almost guarantee that the logger will not deal with you cause you are ''picky''.
your area may be different, but here it is hard to get a logger to bring logs to a small sawmill operation.  you should go back and read bibbymans thread ''log lot management problems'' in sawmilling board. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mad murdock

That is one beautiful boat!  You are have got some talent there!  How long does it take to complete a schooner in the 36-50' range?  I bet it takes more than a couple weeks to build from scratch.  What kind of trees do you use for mainsail spars?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Maine372

uncle henrys and craigslist work. when you see a log truck parked at a gas station stop and chat him up. mills will be going on quota soon and loggers will want to get wood moved before breakup.

3 things loggers and truckers are looking for:
1: price, duh. and prompt payment
2: accessability. gotta have space to get a truck in and out, turned around and unloaded.
3: buy a whole load at a time. to move wood in desperate times ive had to drop 1000bdft of logs at 4 different guys with little band mills. most guys wouldnt ever do it and i only did it to get wood moved before the roads were posted.

get a spec sheet worked up so guys know what diameters, lengths, and species you are looking for as well as prices. and start spreadin them around.

Thank You Sponsors!