iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's one to restore your faith in the teenagers of today.

Started by Ianab, April 20, 2011, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Here's one to restore your faith in the teenagers of today.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4913209/Hero-in-the-rubble-at-just-19

QuoteAs he roamed through central Christchurch checking earthquake-crushed cars for survivors, Leon Handors grabbed a jacket and a hard hat from a plumber's damaged van.

Equipped with the gear, he helped rescue workers sifting through the ruins of the Canterbury Television (CTV) site after the February 22 quake.

Last night, the 19-year-old Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology student thanked the company for the borrowed gear, and said he was keen to meet others who helped out at the CTV site.

"It was one of those things that brought lots of people together and everyone was helping each other," he said.

When the quake hit, Handors, who is studying hotel management, was about to return to class after lunch.

"I managed to get hold of my mum. I told her I was fine and I couldn't just stand around doing nothing and needed to help someone," he said.

When Handors arrived at the Manchester St-Lichfield St corner, he realised the extent of the quake damage.

He joined others searching cars for survivors.

Realising he was not equipped to work amid the rubble, Handors borrowed a jacket and hard hat from a crushed van.

"There was a work van parked in Poplar Ln. It was pretty much crushed," Handors said.

"We had a look to see if there were any people. I saw this jacket hung around the driver seat, and a torch and helmet.

"I thought I'd get in touch with the [owner] afterwards.

"The gear just really helped out. Without that, I couldn't have done anything.

"I had a T-shirt, jeans and sneakers on. The gear helped me stay at the [CTV] site without being kicked off."

After the helpers arrived at the CTV site they were told to grab supplies from the Inland Revenue building in Cashel St.

Later, they were told to go to a pharmacy to get medical supplies.

"We had to break into a pharmacy with a sledgehammer to get supplies for Latimer Square [where the injured were being treated].

"There were three of us who just rocked up. We filled a big bin with syringes, bandages, whatever we could find."

Eventually, Handors began to work on the CTV site, pulling at rubble in a desperate attempt to find survivors.

"Every single time you'd find something, a camera or a wallet, you'd realise people were in there and they needed you," he said.

"After a couple of hours we found, I think it was, three Japanese girls [alive]."

Handors had offered to return the borrowed items, but the company declined.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

paul case

i am certian that even teenagers get a bad rap from the 10% of their population that are trouble makers. good job to this young man for wanting to help others in a bad situation. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DanG

Good people are just good people, no matter their age or circumstance.  Leon Handors is a good man. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

That should make front page news.  :) better yet the world news on TV
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2011, 09:01:10 AM
That should make front page news.  :) better yet the world news on TV

One guy did I think.
"Awesome Maori Guy" got a lot of coverage for his efforts trying to rescue a trapped victim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6kJZQW2UE&NR=1

A lot of times it's how the media portray things too. They can report the positive stories, or just the negative.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!