iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Cedar Cedar, I'm sick of freaking Cedar.

Started by dad2nine, August 06, 2006, 11:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

I reread the last message I wrote in this thread and decided to delete it - This is not a get it off you chest forum >:(, it's about sawmills and milling - I was way off topic >:(

beenthere

Now you have me wondering what you posted that you 'erased'  :)

If it's the one where the $10 logs are now gone, I didn't think of it being out of line (haven't searched so may not be).  I thought that comment and dilema was a good lesson and informative to others.  But you also make a good point about a rant (but we probably like reading about others' frustrations too).  :)  All part 'O the fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

Dad I read the post and it was fine you'll see a lot of venting in here  ;D
gene

metalspinner

Speaking of venting,  we should have a Mother-in-law Board.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Dad - ditto tnlogger's comments - venting is allowed and your post was fine.

Regards,

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dad2nine

Thanks man - Yeah I deleted the post about the $10.00 logs now gone... That was BIG lesson for me.

Another lesson came today - Yesterday I got a call from my forester buddy and I hesitated on a 18" dia by 20 ft flowering dogwood log approx 200 BF, told him I would check around and see if anyone wanted the lumber. Come to find out the lumber could fetch some pretty good $$$, which I didn't know at the time or I wouldn't have hesitated,  I even had a few folks interested. Called him back today to let him know I would take the dogwood but he already sold it. 

Like I said I got a lot to learn! But one sure fire way to learn is by making mistakes... And I have to keep reminding myself I bought the mill to have fun.

I'm in agreement we need a bitch board. I know I could learn a ton from it ;D

Furby

Cedarman

Sometimes you just need to go with your gut feeling. Although sometimes your gut feeling means you ain't well. 
Now if someone offered me a big dogwood, I would want to know the price.  I look at it as, "What is the worst that could happen in this deal?"  Answer "I would have a big chunck of firewood".  "What is the best that could happen?"  Answer  " I don't have a clue".  But  I would now research and find all I could about dogwood and what it could be used for and how to care for it. I call this my research and development department.  This money spent on dogwood would be called R&D money. Even though I am 99% cedar, I like a new challenge.

Now if the deal requires a good bit of money, then I do my research first. If I lose the deal because of time, so be it.  There will be more deals come my way.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Onthesauk

Also the luxury of not "having" to do anything.  Fellow I worked for for years always said the best time to buy or sell something was when you didn't have to.  No pressure to make a deal.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!