iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nor 'easter on the way, How are you preparing for it?

Started by rick f, January 26, 2015, 05:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Luckily I'm working cutting firewood a 1/4 mile from the house. I'll bring the skidder out to the barn along with the farm tractor . I can cleanup and plow with the tractor after the storm. The skidder will make it easyer to get back into the woods. We have a hayfield 1/8  mile to cross to get into the woods.14"-20"+ here in Downeast Maine.   Winds up to 50 mph expected. >:(

For the guys involved How do you prepare for the storm?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

furltech

Well they say we are going to get some snow also .I think i will just cut and skid today so i dont lose anything in the snow or have to dig around in it

g_man

I sure am glad we have the White Mtns to shield us from those big coastal storms. We only expect 4 to 6 inches here.

That much snow and wind would shut my little operation down for a while.

Dave Shepard

I'm going to cut a pile of slabs for the boiler. Fix the pto shaft for the generator. Make sure I have plenty of hot chocolate so I can stand in front of the window and watch the snow come down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doctorb

Put more wood in the stove and enjoy my aging lab Buzz.  Maybe 6" here forecast.  Panic (the dreaded White Death) has arrived in Baltimore!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

brendonv

18-30" expected here.

Ive just moved 2/3 of a cord into my mud room.  Tow chain, shovel, pillow, and food in my truck. I have to drive to the loader at the lot i plow for another contractor. Every year i tell myself im not plowing anymore, never seems to work. Like clock work we get a ton of snow when i get busy with tree work too. Lame.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

treeslayer2003

Quote from: doctorb on January 26, 2015, 08:54:53 AM
Put more wood in the stove and enjoy my aging lab Buzz.  Maybe 6" here forecast.  Panic (the dreaded White Death) has arrived in Baltimore!
hi, where is glyndon?
3-6 here is what they say........i sure wish it was froze.........

Raider Bill

7 pounds of NYS 5X and 7X chedder cheese thanks to Pete from bear Swamp and something to wash it down with. I'm ready bring the noreaster on!!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WmFritz

I knew one of you guys from the tropics would be chiming in.
I was expecting Mesquite Buckeye to be the first one though.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Quote from: beenthere on January 26, 2015, 11:04:17 AM
MB is busy entering "smiley" icons...   ::)

Not nearly as bad as " down under" used to.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doctorb

Glyndon is near Reisterstown.  I'm about 35 minutes NW of B'more.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

clww

We're only expecting a dusting here at The Beach. Starting out as rain late this afternoon, then turn colder and change over to snow before daylight tomorrow. Dodged another bullet here. All you folks up north stay safe. :snowball:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

DeerMeadowFarm

Took the skidding winch and grapple forks off of Fergie, put the bucket and the snow blower on and she's all fueled up. 10 gallons of extra diesel in containers.
Generator fired on 2nd pull yesterday! Topped it off with fuel and moved it closer to the switch panel in the barn.
Walk behind snow blower fired up relatively easy yesterday. Topped it off and moved it to the front of the barn. 20 extra gallons of gasoline in extra containers.
Bring it!  :snowball:

They've already cancelled work her for us for tomorrow and 2nd shift is going home at 10:00.

Holmes

Shored up some roof supports that cover the sawmill and tractors.  Put fuel in the tractors,  tried the 4' snow blower and the drive chain broke. Now it's off to repair the 3/4" chain. Heck I fixed that chain 12 years ago when I bought that snow blower.  :)
Think like a farmer.

Brokermike

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 26, 2015, 10:32:41 AM
7 pounds of NYS 5X and 7X chedder cheese thanks to Pete from bear Swamp and something to wash it down with. I'm ready bring the noreaster on!!

Best fridge picture.........ever
Don't Jersey Vermont

sandhills

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

loggah

Well my JCB 214s backhoe is plugged in,my kubota is ready to go, got beer and hard cider in the frige,and just in case i picked up a 1/2 gallon of captain Morgan !!!! ;D ;D My wife made sour dough bread and got a venison stew in the crock pot ! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

The best sounding part of that is the sourdough bread. food6 food6.

We are fighting the usual battler of the generators here. Thanksgiving day was rough on pto shafts, and I am in the process of fixing one. The other needs a new yoke. Neighbors bigger (as in big enough to run the whole barn) wasn't available, so my parents drove to Salem, NY, to pick up an even bigger one. They got home with it and, you guessed it, it has no PTO shaft. ::) ??? >:( :D I dropped one of the caps on the new u-joint I was putting in and all the needles fell out, but fortunately, for the fist time in my entire life here on the farm, I was working in a garage with both heat, and a clean concrete floor. Found every one of them, including the one stuck on the toe of my boot. :D I hate tight u-joints without heat or a press. Fortunately it came apart once I manage to break all the clips out. Going to get my balljoint squeezer and take that home and finish putting it together. I'm hoping all of this preparedness will drive the storm out to sea. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Atlantic Trader

Brought the tractor home from the wood yard today, filled it up, lots of dry firewood waiting in the shed, me and the wife are hunkered down watching CNN Of all things ( they are really hyping this one up, but I don't think they have to it looks like it is going to be a bad one, looks like a lot of people in NY are in for a a hard day tomorrow as well as the New England coast.

Cold here -10 c. No wind no precip, a real calm in the air.

Stay safe folks and all,the best.

snowstorm

i think i will leave my little f550 in the garage. this looks to be a big truck storm. the international is plugged in and waiting. around 2 am i will load it with winter sand and go to work

Oliver05262

Albany channel 6 is putting us right between the 8-14" and the 14-20" bands. Burlington channel 3 has it a few inches less.  Since we're here in the "Banana Belt" of Vermont, and have the Green Mountains to shadow us from the storms that come from the East, my money is on less than 8". The plow is on the truck and it's fuelled right up. I put the chains on the 2 wheel drive 2030 loader tractor, and that is full of fuel. Generator has been run lately, and there's extra gas; she shopped for grub the other day, and I lugged a bunch of firewood into the shop so I can find it to keep warm  while I hide out in there. There's wood in the cellar for that stove if we need it. All is calm outside right now so I don't know when it'll start up, but let 'er rip................

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

bozzaa69

Drink a bottle of Wild Turkey and drool on myself. I guess I do that every night. I don't know about the drooling part,that's what they tell me. I never remember that. But Wild Turkey,ya.

Thank You Sponsors!